Ryan Montgomery

TheRev

Jan 22, 2022
I hate putting all of our eggs in one basket with a prospect. It seems like it always comes back to bite us and this is no different. Georgia is already stacked at QB so I don't understand why he would want to go there to ride the bench. Assuming we hold onto Duckworth, I don't see why we don't put the same emphasis on multiple QB prospects so if one falls through, we have a backup.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I hate putting all of our eggs in one basket with a prospect. It seems like it always comes back to bite us and this is no different. Georgia is already stacked at QB so I don't understand why he would want to go there to ride the bench. Assuming we hold onto Duckworth, I don't see why we don't put the same emphasis on multiple QB prospects so if one falls through, we have a backup.

Well, we did pursue 6 QBs for the 2025 class, They've just all chosen to go elsewhere at this point (assuming Montgomery does as well). I wouldn't say all our eggs were in the Montgomery basket from the outset, but it ended up that way. It's the same problem we've always faced and will always face. We're never going to stockpile talent. That's a pipe dream.

Winning is important. UGA can offer a realistic shot at a title for the foreseeable future. The best we can offer is to hopefully maybe get bowl eligible again.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
I think the portal has made HS recruiting so much more forgiving. We'll either get him back in a couple of years (after he tires of riding the pine), or snag someone else for a year or two-worth of production, like Rattler. The whole team/roster/recruiting game has been turned upside-down. The old ways of looking at things no longer apply. Just my $.02

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think the portal has made HS recruiting so much more forgiving. We'll either get him back in a couple of years (after he tires of riding the pine), or snag someone else for a year or two-worth of production, like Rattler. The whole team/roster/recruiting game has been turned upside-down. The old ways of looking at things no longer apply. Just my $.02

I just don't see us overall faring much better in the portal. Most guys who hit the portal do so for one of 2 reasons: 1. They weren't cutting it at their current school and need somewhere less competitive where they can earn a starting job OR 2. They blew up at the current school and are looking to upgrade.

We'd get mostly #1s, and not sure how helpful those really are. Maybe some #2s from lower division schools, but we aren't gonna get many/any top FBS transfers.

Sad that the best we can hope for is that a QB we missed on out of high school would reconsider us in the portal after he falls on hard times in college.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
When you tell one recruit ''he is your man'' at QB and you lose other recruits because of that, you are at the mercy of that recruit to follow through and ''be your man'' or you're screwed. Elite QB's are very tough to recruit because there is only one on the field at a time.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan
Feb 24, 2024
I just don't see us overall faring much better in the portal. Most guys who hit the portal do so for one of 2 reasons: 1. They weren't cutting it at their current school and need somewhere less competitive where they can earn a starting job OR 2. They blew up at the current school and are looking to upgrade.

We'd get mostly #1s, and not sure how helpful those really are. Maybe some #2s from lower division schools, but we aren't gonna get many/any top FBS transfers.

Sad that the best we can hope for is that a QB we missed on out of high school would reconsider us in the portal after he falls on hard times in college.
Spot on IMO

Reactions: Mountain guy

Big JC

May 12, 2023

You are the rare individual who really understands the reality of the portal. There is a reason the top teams only pick up a handful at most of portal players, they already have elite talent and aren't trying to build an entire roster through the portal. Kiffin has said as much when he talks about how recruiting top HS players to Ole Miss is difficult so he has to try and build a team with the portal. Ole Miss took in 18 and lost 17 this year. I'm not sure that is the way to build a winning program. By contrast, UGA only has 4 portal players. They needed receivers so they got 3 and they got 1 RB who is going to be a good one, Etienne from UF. Bama lost 30 to the portal when Saban left but only picked up 6. That should tell you something about the talent on the roster. The portal is a decent tool to plug a roster hole for the short term. A team isn't going to sign a bunch of 4 and 5 star proven performers in the portal.

Word is that Montgomery is committing to UGA tomorrow. Kirby never promises playing time and UGA doesn't throw huge NIL money at HS kids. They wait until a player proves his worth playing for UGA before they throw the big NIL money at him. JuJu Lewis had been flirting with UGA but my guy said Kirby got fed up with his attitude and his absurd NIL demands and moved on to Montgomery. Lewis is now projected to Auburn where Mr. Yellawood is willing to stroke a huge check to get him.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You are the rare individual who really understands the reality of the portal. There is a reason the top teams only pick up a handful at most of portal players, they already have elite talent and aren't trying to build an entire roster through the portal. Kiffin has said as much when he talks about how recruiting top HS players to Ole Miss is difficult so he has to try and build a team with the portal. Ole Miss took in 18 and lost 17 this year. I'm not sure that is the way to build a winning program. By contrast, UGA only has 4 portal players. They needed receivers so they got 3 and they got 1 RB who is going to be a good one, Etienne from UF. Bama lost 30 to the portal when Saban left but only picked up 6. That should tell you something about the talent on the roster. The portal is a decent tool to plug a roster hole for the short term. A team isn't going to sign a bunch of 4 and 5 star proven performers in the portal.

Word is that Montgomery is committing to UGA tomorrow. Kirby never promises playing time and UGA doesn't throw huge NIL money at HS kids. They wait until a player proves his worth playing for UGA before they throw the big NIL money at him. JuJu Lewis had been flirting with UGA but my guy said Kirby got fed up with his attitude and his absurd NIL demands and moved on to Montgomery. Lewis is now projected to Auburn where Mr. Yellawood is willing to stroke a huge check to get him.

Yep, you are correct. The portal is really just a tool that is further enriching talent at the top programs. They can use the portal to offload underperforming players. Then they use the portal to get a handful of the pick of the liter recruits. to strategically fill our the roster. By routinely cutting the dead weight and adding in top transfer talent, the talent just becomes more concentrated at those programs.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Yep, you are correct. The portal is really just a tool that is further enriching talent at the top programs. They can use the portal to offload underperforming players. Then they use the portal to get a handful of the pick of the liter recruits. to strategically fill our the roster. By routinely cutting the dead weight and adding in top transfer talent, the talent just becomes more concentrated at those programs.
I think UGA had something close to 110 players on the roster after signing day and all of them were very good. They will be down to the best 85 on August 1st.

The portal is a crutch for coaches who can't or won't work very hard at recruiting. Bama, Texas, Ohio State, UGA, Michigan, etc. are all still recruiting HS players like there is no portal. They know that even some 4 and 5 stars don't pan out when they get to college and the portal gives the coach a means of getting rid of the ones who don't and opens up spots for incoming talent.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think UGA had something close to 110 players on the roster after signing day and all of them were very good. They will be down to the best 85 on August 1st.

The portal is a crutch for coaches who can't or won't work very hard at recruiting. Bama, Texas, Ohio State, UGA, Michigan, etc. are all still recruiting HS players like there is no portal. They know that even some 4 and 5 stars don't pan out when they get to college and the portal gives the coach a means of getting rid of the ones who don't and opens up spots for incoming talent.

Crutch is the perfect word.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

How quickly it has become a crutch for us. Much of our fan base doesn't even expect or hope to recruit well any longer. "Ah, no biggie, we'll just get someone from the portal."

Do you think the Bama's and UGA's of the world are putting their eggs in the portal basket like our fans do?

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
How quickly it has become a crutch for us. Much of our fan base doesn't even expect or hope to recruit well any longer. "Ah, no biggie, we'll just get someone from the portal."

Do you think the Bama's and UGA's of the world are putting their eggs in the portal basket like our fans do?

Of course Bama and UGA don't worry about getting players in the portal. They have always been able to recruit blue chippers at every position, and they still can. But, the portal actually helps teams like USC - especially at QB. USC has always gotten nicely-rated QB's, but they were projects (as most QB's are) and very rarely did they ever live up to expectations.

Prior to the portal, USC isn't getting anyone of Rattler's stature. Ever. Now QB's like that are attainable (as long as you can show you have the other pieces around them). Now, instead of taking a flyer on a high-school QB, teams can pick up proven players that can help immediately.

Reactions: muscleknight

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

I think the disconnect (if you're including me) is the "no biggie" part.

Imho, moving on the relying on the portal is not a good thing, it's just that it's the way it's going to be.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Of course Bama and UGA don't worry about getting players in the portal. They have always been able to recruit blue chippers at every position, and they still can. But, the portal actually helps teams like USC - especially at QB. USC has always gotten nicely-rated QB's, but they were projects (as most QB's are) and very rarely did they ever live up to expectations.

Prior to the portal, USC isn't getting anyone of Rattler's stature. Ever. Now QB's like that are attainable (as long as you can show you have the other pieces around them). Now, instead of taking a flyer on a high-school QB, teams can pick up proven players that can help immediately.

Not a knock on Rattler, but we got him as perceived damaged goods. I loved having him here, but we weren't facing a ton of stiff competition for him in the portal.

I just don't see us accruing much talent via the portal. I'd suspect we'll have about the same success rate as we do in recruiting.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think the disconnect (if you're including me) is the "no biggie" part.

Imho, moving on the relying on the portal is not a good thing, it's just that it's the way it's going to be.

I guess it's the general sentiment that some in the fan base seem to project that, if we miss in recruiting, it's ok because we'll obviously clean up in the portal.

But, opinions are irrelevant on it, I guess. As you say, it's the way it's going to be.

Reactions: Lurker123

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I guess it's the general sentiment that some in the fan base seem to project that, if we miss in recruiting, it's ok because we'll obviously clean up in the portal.

But, opinions are irrelevant on it, I guess. As you say, it's the way it's going to be.

Yeah, the steadfast belief that we will clean up in the portal is unfounded, imo. Like you said in another post, I think we'll have the same success as we do in recruiting.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022

Let's hope Montgomery surprises us. Beamer sure invested a lot in him, and you would think his chances are better for playing time at Carolina.

Gamecock23

Jan 20, 2022
Let's hope Montgomery surprises us. Beamer sure invested a lot in him, and you would think his chances are better for playing time at Carolina.
If he's a Ugag commitment, I would have Connor Shaw putting a bug in the ear of Gunner Stockton. He might be getting squeezed out and he was an early commitment here. Just saying.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
If he's a Ugag commitment, I would have Connor Shaw putting a bug in the ear of Gunner Stockton. He might be getting squeezed out and he was an early commitment here. Just saying.
I doubt Gunner is going to be worried about a 2025 qb coming in. True freshmen don't start at qb for Kirby and I think Montgomery knows that. Gunner knows Beck is gone after this year and Gunner will be a redshirt junior next season and will have two years to play. He is qb2 right now and will get plenty of time at practice with the ones to make sure he is ready if Beck goes down.

His early commitment was to Muschamp and Bobo. Guess where both of them are now?

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Well...we did get Rattler and more than likely could have pulled in KJ Jefferson this year, but some seemed to be afraid that would push a certain QB out. Frankly, I thought offereing Jefferson would help that QB a good bit....same type of game. My philosophy....get the best you can to help you win now and let the pieces fall where they may.

Reactions: Big JC

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Well...we did get Rattler and more than likely could have pulled in KJ Jefferson this year, but some seemed to be afraid that would push a certain QB out. Frankly, I thought offereing Jefferson would help that QB a good bit....same type of game. My philosophy....get the best you can to help you win now and let the pieces fall where they may.

I agree with your thoughts, but I can't help but think we had help getting Rattler since he had a pre-existing relationship with our coach. Maybe we get him even without that.

But Jefferson? We tried and failed to get him. I don't think message board banter changed that. Jmo.

Where did Jefferson end up anyway?

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I agree with your thoughts, but I can't help but think we had help getting Rattler since he had a pre-existing relationship with our coach. Maybe we get him even without that.

But Jefferson? We tried and failed to get him. I don't think message board banter changed that. Jmo.

Where did Jefferson end up anyway?
From what I've understood, we never went after him despite him having a prior relationship with Loggains, who KJ liked. He ended up at UCF.

The article regarding his transfer only mentions UCF, Miami and TCU as his portal offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker123

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Any coach who does not pursue a talented player because he is worried he might upset another player on the team should be fired. Any player who is afraid of competition isn't helping your program no matter how good you think he might be. A coach who enables that needs to find another line of work.

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
Not a knock on Rattler, but we got him as perceived damaged goods. I loved having him here, but we weren't facing a ton of stiff competition for him in the portal.

I just don't see us accruing much talent via the portal. I'd suspect we'll have about the same success rate as we do in recruiting.
I tend to agree. We were told Muschamp was a recruiting Guru. Then we were told that Beamer was a GREAT recruiter. I'm not seeing much difference overall from prior decades (and certainly a decrease from the Spurrier days).

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
OK, what if this Montgomery to GA publicity is just a set up for a surprise commitment to Carolina today worked out behind the scenes by Beamer and the Montgomery family?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I tend to agree. We were told Muschamp was a recruiting Guru. Then we were told that Beamer was a GREAT recruiter. I'm not seeing much difference overall from prior decades (and certainly a decrease from the Spurrier days).
Those with authority and influence in the hiring process in the past decade did not learn from our history. The most successful South Carolina Head Coaches in the past 50 years (Carlin, Morrison, Holtz, Spurrier) had the reputation of being strong strategist/tactician coaches and decent recruiters. They recruited the occasional stud (Rogers, Ellis, Watson, Clowney). But they made their reputation based on coaching skills. Every recruiting guru we have hired as Head Coaches (Bell, Woods, Scott, Muschamp) were unmitigated failures. So what did we do? We hired another supposed recruiting guru (Beamer) who has not recruited any better than previous coaches, and arguably worse.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
OK, what if this Montgomery to GA publicity is just a set up for a surprise commitment to Carolina today worked out behind the scenes by Beamer and the Montgomery family?
I guess it could happen but I don't see the reason for the subterfuge.

Abush

Jan 31, 2022
I think a lot is being made of Montgomery going to UGA because of how hard we pushed for him. I don't think it does anything for our future, honestly. We thought Tanner Bailey could be the future until Sellers got here.

I think it "looks worse" than it is. If Sellers turns out to be what everyone wants, then Montgomery wouldn't have even played until '26, at the earliest. Who says he wouldn't have transferred out?

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I think a lot is being made of Montgomery going to UGA because of how hard we pushed for him. I don't think it does anything for our future, honestly. We thought Tanner Bailey could be the future until Sellers got here.

I think it "looks worse" than it is. If Sellers turns out to be what everyone wants, then Montgomery wouldn't have even played until '26, at the earliest. Who says he wouldn't have transferred out?
Worried about the Bentley effect....putting it all on a freshman....even a RS freshman. Bentley did better than many still think...but I think the pressure got to him at times. Which is why I really wanted them to put the full court press on KJ Jefferson....to bring in an experienced SEC QB with an identical skillset for Sellers to learn under for a year and still get good playing time. Wasn't as worried about Montgomery if Sellers works out....but just trying to increase the odds of Sellers doing just that. Hopefully, I am waay off base and Sellers lives up to all the hype we've put on him.

Reactions: Irvin Snibbley

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I’m not opposed to it when they plan on announcing early. We will find a good QB, their senior season hasn’t even started yet. Not to mention a lot of young talented QBs will be in the portal too.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Have to wonder what all those who, in 2020, championed Beamer for his recruiting prowess are thinking these days. They may be having 2nd thoughts and asking "What have we done?".

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Have to wonder what all those who, in 2020, championed Beamer for his recruiting prowess are thinking these days. They may be having 2nd thoughts and asking "What have we done?".
He has some good to excellent recruiters.....Teasley, Lucas, Gray, White. And Furrey and Blackwell are also historically good recruiters. And we just hired Elliott.

Nm7710

Dec 1, 2022
You gotta remember we’re South Carolina, we have always been basically right where we are now in recruiting, probably will be forever, maybe the portal will be kinder to us in the future, it’s not Beamer, it’s just us

Latest posts