Salem schedule

1MoreHokie

All-Conference
Sep 25, 2005
16,221
2,004
0
To play a team at least once a season for over forty years and see them take their ball and skulk off into the shadows after all this time is truly shameful behavior.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mikesalem
Jun 8, 2001
1,610
724
98
I know this is a Salem Schedule thread (and I think that's a very good schedule that will challenge them somewhat and help prepare them some for the postseason), but I wanted to post a question about football in the Roanoke Valley as a whole.

Are we nearing a situation where we are going to see decent-sized classification schools fold the tent and not field teams every single season? Said differently...will we start seeing Class 3 and 4 teams not fielding teams (i.e. a school like Northside or Hidden Valley)?

One of the most recent examples of a larger school not fielding a team was Park View. They have since starting making their way back into the fold. And I know that Southwest Virginia have had several schools; particularly Class 1 schools not fielding teams. But for those of you with ears on the ground down there, are you hearing anything concerning? Now granted, I know that many of the Class 1 and even Class 2 schools in deep Southwest Virginia have gotten bailed out due to consolidation so those communities should be good for awhile.

Sports participation is down as a whole. And yes I know that there are some sports, and some schools which have seen an increase in interest. And that's a great thing considering the amount of trouble that high schoolers have been getting into in many areas across the state.

But I was just curious, and...in a sense worried, about this being a scenario. I know how much football brings together those communities (I lived in the region for almost 13 years for college and work) and I would certainly hate to see the one thing that brings people together go away.
 
VirginiaPreps

Latest

  1. 01 High School Football Allow The St. James Academy (Va.) football to introduce themselves
  2. 02 High School Football High School Football: No. 1 IMG Academy beats The St. James Academy in nail biter
  3. 03 VirginiaPreps Football WEEK 6 Virginia High School Football Scores - 10-1-26 thru 10-5-26
  4. 04 VirginiaPreps Hatfield vs. Massey Fearless VHSL Friday Picks for 10-2-26 (WEEK 6)
  5. 05 VirginiaPreps Football Tidewater Predictions - 10-2-26 Edition (WEEK 6)