SEC Scheduling is trash

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Looks like we have 2 decent games this week and both kick off at 11 local time.

ED3652FC-F6D4-462B-B1A5-BDFAA0AD4D35.jpeg

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Auburn and GA will probably be a close game.

I hope so for my entertainment's sake but I'm not holding my breath. I can't figure out either team and apparently neither can they.
FL Mizzou could be close I guess but I doubt it's quality football.

I'm not surprised our game is early but I am surprised the UT LSU game isn't a night game.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I hope so for my entertainment's sake but I'm not holding my breath. I can't figure out either team and apparently neither can they.
FL Mizzou could be close I guess but I doubt it's quality football.

I'm not surprised our game is early but I am surprised the UT LSU game isn't a night game.
It’s not a night game because CBS is showing their onenight game they had to pick a long time ago. And I don’t think the ESPN family other than the secn can compete with that slot.

Reactions: emagdog

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'm probably in the minority - but if I'm watching on TV, I prefer an 11am or night game. I never watch the 2:30 or 3pm games if we're not playing. I'm always busy Saturday morning so I'm ready to sit down and chill by 11am. Then I'm always busy again by 3-4 in the afternoon.

But when we're playing at home, that 2:30 - 3pm slot is definitely my favorite followed by 6pm.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Looks like we have 2 decent games this week and both kick off at 11 local time.

View attachment 241316
Whether we like it or not, more and more good matchups are going to be at 11 AM. That's a prime TV slot for ratings. It sucks but if we're gonna stay on that SEC TV Revenue teat, it's the cost of doing business.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
It’s not a night game because CBS is showing their onenight game they had to pick a long time ago. And I don’t think the ESPN family other than the secn can compete with that slot.
That makes sense if they had to pick it before the App St game.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Whether we like it or not, more and more good matchups are going to be at 11 AM. That's a prime TV slot for ratings. It sucks but if we're gonna stay on that SEC TV Revenue teat, it's the cost of doing business.
I keep seeing this being claimed, but is ESPN really putting better games at 11am, or is this just a quirk of having the CBS night game this week?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I keep seeing this being claimed, but is ESPN really putting better games at 11am, or is this just a quirk of having the CBS night game this week?
I saw an article about it somewhere. You're starting to see more of the SEC Nation trips to the 11 AM game and having better matchups there at 11. Right now the 3rd pick for games is the ESPN 11 AM timeslot and that could go to 2 with CBS out of the picture in the coming years.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
They are definitely putting good games in the 11 am slot on ESPN. It’s a great window for TV viewing. They just had KY vs OM this past Saturday which was going to be a good matchup when they selected it. It’s why Fox made it their marquee matchup.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
What would our record be right now if we had played Ole Miss' schedule?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I saw an article about it somewhere. You're starting to see more of the SEC Nation trips to the 11 AM game and having better matchups there at 11. Right now the 3rd pick for games is the ESPN 11 AM timeslot and that could go to 2 with CBS out of the picture in the coming years.
If that's so, I guess the more important question for us is will they try to do more 11am broadcasts? Or just make sure they have a good matchup at 11am. If they have just decided that it's better to have a marquee matchup at 11 than two good games competing against each other at 7, then that doesn't necessariliy hurt us and may help us. But if they have decided that 11am is one of the best tv time slots, such that they'd rather have two games on at 11 and one at 7 rather than one game at 11 and two at 7, then that will suck for us (and all SEC fans).

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If that's so, I guess the more important question for us is will they try to do more 11am broadcasts? Or just make sure they have a good matchup at 11am. If they have just decided that it's better to have a marquee matchup at 11 than two good games competing against each other at 7, then that doesn't necessariliy hurt us and may help us. But if they have decided that 11am is one of the best tv time slots, such that they'd rather have two games on at 11 and one at 7 rather than one game at 11 and two at 7, then that will suck for us (and all SEC fans).
If I were guessing, I would think the new SEC tv deal would have the three best SEC games on at 6 pm, 11 am, and 3pm, or something like that, on ESPN/ABC. I think the SECN games are always going to be the less attractive ones. But there's definitely a concerted effort to put good games in that 11 timeslot.

Taz_Man

Nov 9, 2017
We will see how good we are compared to the other school in the state when we go to Lexington in a couple of weeks. It could be a replay of 2014 except roles reversed in November.