SMU thinks they can pull a sitting SEC basketball coach...

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

The names being thrown out include a lot of SEC names like John Calipari at Kentucky. As of this writing, he's not even available right now. He might become on the job market, but there are questions if he would want to leave a blue-blood program like the Wildcats for the Mustangs.

Add Chris Jans, who has rebuilt Mississippi State, Buzz Williams at Texas A&M, Chris Collins at Northwestern or Andy Enfield at USC. None of those guys are on any kind of hot seat right now. It's a good bet, though, if names like that are get and they are actually talking to them, somebody has found a lot of money somewhere.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Enfield at USC appears to be the leader.
Enfield appears to make around $3.8 with another four years left (that may be dated info; i didn't keep searching after the first couple of results).

He's been there 11 years, has made the tourney 5 times (one year was cancelled by COVID and not sure if he would have made it. He was third in the conference so I would have guessed he would, but he apparently finished second one year in the Pac12 and only got an NIT bid? Is that right?). He's got 3 first round exits, one 2nd round exit, and one trip to the Elite 8.

Does that make his seat warm enough at USC that he'd go to SMU? Are they going to overpay to pull a guy that has gotten USC past the first weekend one time in 11 years?

Seems like their AD is setting their fans up for disappointment.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Enfield appears to make around $3.8 with another four years left (that may be dated info; i didn't keep searching after the first couple of results).

He's been there 11 years, has made the tourney 5 times (one year was cancelled by COVID and not sure if he would have made it. He was third in the conference so I would have guessed he would, but he apparently finished second one year in the Pac12 and only got an NIT bid? Is that right?). He's got 3 first round exits, one 2nd round exit, and one trip to the Elite 8.

Does that make his seat warm enough at USC that he'd go to SMU? Are they going to overpay to pull a guy that has gotten USC past the first weekend one time in 11 years?

Seems like their AD is setting their fans up for disappointment.
The USC folks seem to be excited about the prospect of him being hired away, so I would say his seat is fairly hot heading into next year. The narrative is that he has reached his ceiling and significantly underachieved with a talented roster this year.

Side note: Can’t believe that FGCU sweet sixteen run was 11 years ago.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
SMU has Money & will be in the ACC.

They did get Larry Brown to coach for a few years. So they will get a Name.
But the ACC is coming apart really soon. Coaches needing to move or looking for a big check are the guys there. I doubt a coach with a good conference and stable job is taking that.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
You don't think Calipari is "on any kind of hot seat right now"? If you go read their boards right now a lot of them would love to send him packing. It remains to be seen whether he would actually go but those boys have the money and he may be about to be unemployed so......
First of all, nobody on a message board is going to decide if Calipari gets another year. That is Mitch Barnhart’s decision and his alone.

Second, what boys have money?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
But the ACC is coming apart really soon. Coaches needing to move or looking for a big check are the guys there. I doubt a coach with a good conference and stable job is taking that.
Don’t be a Chicken Little. 😂

The differences between the ACC & Pac-12 are that lengthy media contract everyone despises and the conference rights.

The Sky may fall. However, the media contract also ensures stability for those universities that don’t want to rock the boat for several years.

Having Notre Dame as an Olympic Sports member is also a bonus.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
First of all, nobody on a message board is going to decide if Calipari gets another year. That is Mitch Barnhart’s decision and his alone.

Second, what boys have money?
Article #1

Article #2

Article #3

Article #4

How many more do you want to see and still say he's not on the hot seat? Barnhart will be on it too if he doesn't calm some fans fast.

And the "boys" are the money boys at SMU, here's a quote about them, "Under the direction of the Southern Methodist University Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees, the Investments Office manages the $2.0 billion endowment, including minerals and other planned giving assets of the University." Those "boys" can buy whomever they want, their families built the endowment.......

Reactions: Howiefeltersnstch

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
bart simpson episode 6 GIF

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Football-wise, perhaps. Basketball-wise? Nah. The ACC is always going to be a blue blood basketball conference.

engie

May 29, 2011
Methinks we will soon remember why the ncaa knocked these 17ers in the head 25 years ago

Reactions: lutedog

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Article #1

Article #2

Article #3

Article #4

How many more do you want to see and still say he's not on the hot seat? Barnhart will be on it too if he doesn't calm some fans fast.

And the "boys" are the money boys at SMU, here's a quote about them, "Under the direction of the Southern Methodist University Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees, the Investments Office manages the $2.0 billion endowment, including minerals and other planned giving assets of the University." Those "boys" can buy whomever they want, their families built the endowment.......
I didn’t say he was “not on the hot seat”. I said it is Barnhart’s decision - which it was.

Fans and journalists aren’t the ones to have to come up with the $33MM.

And thanks for the clarification on whose “boys“ you were referring to. It makes sense. SMU’s “boys” have deeper pockets than most.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
If they want to win, and flex their wallet, prove it and get Hurley from UConn. Best coach in the game right now. Kelvin Samson down the street at Houston would be really good as well.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
The USC folks seem to be excited about the prospect of him being hired away, so I would say his seat is fairly hot heading into next year. The narrative is that he has reached his ceiling and significantly underachieved with a talented roster this year.

Side note: Can’t believe that FGCU sweet sixteen run was 11 years ago.
LOL, my first thought as well when I read that. How's his wife holding up?