Softball

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Unless a change is made the future for USC softball is not good. The elite softball players want to go where they can win and have a chance to win the national championship. i have no idea about the incoming recruits but the elite pitchers will not play for Beverly Smith. Beverly Smith is the equivalent of what Richard Bell was to football. She is a good person but like Mark Berson she has not adjusted to the times and recruited the elite softball players. I mean the girl from Union who was really good in high school at Union County just has not lived up to expectations for whatever reason. She too is a good girl but has not been what they thought she would be. Bailey Betenbaugh is the young ladies name. The other pitchers Kelsey Oh, Rachael Vaugh, and the others well they have not done well. Our pitching is last in the SEC. The other players on the team are good young ladies and they do try hard but not to disrespect them they are not SEC level softball players. The elite players that we have had recently have transferred to Oklahoma and Alabama just to name two. Other players have left because of Beverly Smith. I talked to a mother of a player who was on the team last year and she complained like a lot of other players and their parents and they even went to Tanner but to no avail. The mother of the player I talked to told me that when the season was over her daughter was going to transfer. I looked at the current roster and sure enough that player was gone. USC needs a coach who knows the way the young ladies are in today's society and knows how to recruit. Look at the coach at Arkansas. 6 years ago they were 1-23 in SEC play. Arkansas made a change. Yesterday they won the 2022 SEC softball championship. Look at Missouri. 3 years ago they were on probation by the NCAA. They hired the current coach and put together a really good softball team. Yesterday they played Arkansas for the 2022 SEC
championship. There are a lot of good young softball coaches who would die to have the USC softball program. USC needs someone with the mindset of Dawn Staley. When Dawn Staley took the USC womens basketball job a lot of people told her not to take it. Dawns mother had a lot of influence on her. Not sure of all the details but I do know for a fact that Alabama offered Dawn Staley the womens baskeball job and she turned it down. My understanding is that Dawn told her agent she was waiting on the South Carolina job. Eric Hyman did all the interviews and talking with a lot of people in the womens basketball circles and everyone told him that Dawn Staley would suceed if given the time. Dawn loves USC because of the support the fans and the administration has given her. Ray Tanner's weak point is that he waits too long to make a change. He did it in mens soccer, mens and womens swimming. He did make a good hire in the swimming program in Jeff Poppel from Florida. Yesterday Wake Forest fired their womens basketball coach. Not sure what happened but she had made a lot of progress in the womens basketball program at Wake Forest. Who Wake Forest will hire is beyond my beliel. I do know Wake Forest and Clemson are considered the worst womens basketball programs in the ACC. Clemson puts all their money in football, therefore the womens basketball program cannot get someone to coach there fo r$200,000. Clemson the same way they pay Amanda Butler probably $200,000. Look at the results. Say no more. I know the right person can come in and get our softball program back on track and the USC fans, supporters will support them.

York cock

Jan 21, 2022
Unless a change is made the future for USC softball is not good. The elite softball players want to go where they can win and have a chance to win the national championship. i have no idea about the incoming recruits but the elite pitchers will not play for Beverly Smith. Beverly Smith is the equivalent of what Richard Bell was to football. She is a good person but like Mark Berson she has not adjusted to the times and recruited the elite softball players. I mean the girl from Union who was really good in high school at Union County just has not lived up to expectations for whatever reason. She too is a good girl but has not been what they thought she would be. Bailey Betenbaugh is the young ladies name. The other pitchers Kelsey Oh, Rachael Vaugh, and the others well they have not done well. Our pitching is last in the SEC. The other players on the team are good young ladies and they do try hard but not to disrespect them they are not SEC level softball players. The elite players that we have had recently have transferred to Oklahoma and Alabama just to name two. Other players have left because of Beverly Smith. I talked to a mother of a player who was on the team last year and she complained like a lot of other players and their parents and they even went to Tanner but to no avail. The mother of the player I talked to told me that when the season was over her daughter was going to transfer. I looked at the current roster and sure enough that player was gone. USC needs a coach who knows the way the young ladies are in today's society and knows how to recruit. Look at the coach at Arkansas. 6 years ago they were 1-23 in SEC play. Arkansas made a change. Yesterday they won the 2022 SEC softball championship. Look at Missouri. 3 years ago they were on probation by the NCAA. They hired the current coach and put together a really good softball team. Yesterday they played Arkansas for the 2022 SEC
championship. There are a lot of good young softball coaches who would die to have the USC softball program. USC needs someone with the mindset of Dawn Staley. When Dawn Staley took the USC womens basketball job a lot of people told her not to take it. Dawns mother had a lot of influence on her. Not sure of all the details but I do know for a fact that Alabama offered Dawn Staley the womens baskeball job and she turned it down. My understanding is that Dawn told her agent she was waiting on the South Carolina job. Eric Hyman did all the interviews and talking with a lot of people in the womens basketball circles and everyone told him that Dawn Staley would suceed if given the time. Dawn loves USC because of the support the fans and the administration has given her. Ray Tanner's weak point is that he waits too long to make a change. He did it in mens soccer, mens and womens swimming. He did make a good hire in the swimming program in Jeff Poppel from Florida. Yesterday Wake Forest fired their womens basketball coach. Not sure what happened but she had made a lot of progress in the womens basketball program at Wake Forest. Who Wake Forest will hire is beyond my beliel. I do know Wake Forest and Clemson are considered the worst womens basketball programs in the ACC. Clemson puts all their money in football, therefore the womens basketball program cannot get someone to coach there fo r$200,000. Clemson the same way they pay Amanda Butler probably $200,000. Look at the results. Say no more. I know the right person can come in and get our softball program back on track and the USC fans, supporters will support them.
Nice 39,000 word essay! 😂ok I’m done, I swear I had to. It was too easy. You sound very well connected to the team. Agreed change must be made….like last year

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
From the SEC web page:

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (May 15, 2022) - Twelve teams from the Southeastern Conference were selected to compete in the 2022 NCAA Division I Softball Championship.

The SEC earned five national seeds, including two of the top six. Arkansas (44-9), the 2022 SEC Regular-Season and Tournament Champion, earned the No. 4 seed. Alabama (41-11) was awarded the No. 6 seed, while Tennessee (39-16) was tabbed the No. 11 seed. Florida (43-16) was tabbed the No. 14 seed, and Missouri (36-20) garnered the No. 15 seed.

In addition, Auburn (39-15) earned a spot in the Clemson Regional, and Georgia (40-16) will play in the Durham Regional. Kentucky (35-17) is slated to compete in the Blacksburg Regional, while LSU (34-21) will be a part of the Tempe Regional. Ole Miss (39-17) is headed to the Los Angeles Regional, and Mississippi State (33-24) is set to compete at the Tallahassee Regional. Texas A&M (29-26) was selected to play at the Norman Regional.

USC is the only SEC school sponsoring Softball that is not dancing in 2022 (Vanderbilt does not sponsor softball).

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
What kind of adjustment would Smith need to make?

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
What kind of adjustment would Smith need to make?
Have the ability to teach to win. Then recruiting. Beverly Smith is not a recruiter and she cannot relate to the younger players like the coaches at Florida, Tennesse, and Arkansas. Then sit down with Ray Tanner and make the softball stadium more fan friendly like adding seats in the outfield, getting former playes involved one way or the other. Teaching players on how to win comes from the top. You have to have the will to win. Getting elite pitchers will be hard for her because she does not have a history of being a good elite recruiter. With all the NIL opportunites find a way to make offers for the girls to want to come to USC and play softball. Not talking about 2-3 SEC wins a year. That is the mindset Beverly Smith has now. You have to want to win really bad to compete against the schools in the SEC. Beverly Smith does not have that. With that being said these are a few viewpoints that I have and I know there are really good young coaches who would want a chance to coach at USC. I know there are. Ray Tanner needs to bite the bullet and make a change.Of course making good hiring decisions is not a strong point for Ray Tanner. We all know that.

Reactions: GamecockinBoulder

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Regardl
Have the ability to teach to win. Then recruiting. Beverly Smith is not a recruiter and she cannot relate to the younger players like the coaches at Florida, Tennesse, and Arkansas. Then sit down with Ray Tanner and make the softball stadium more fan friendly like adding seats in the outfield, getting former playes involved one way or the other. Teaching players on how to win comes from the top. You have to have the will to win. Getting elite pitchers will be hard for her because she does not have a history of being a good elite recruiter. With all the NIL opportunites find a way to make offers for the girls to want to come to USC and play softball. Not talking about 2-3 SEC wins a year. That is the mindset Beverly Smith has now. You have to want to win really bad to compete against the schools in the SEC. Beverly Smith does not have that. With that being said these are a few viewpoints that I have and I know there are really good young coaches who would want a chance to coach at USC. I know there are. Ray Tanner needs to bite the bullet and make a change.Of course making good hiring decisions is not a strong point for Ray Tanner. We all know that.
Thank you for that terrific reply, Spurman. I'm not that familiar with the ins and outs of softball.

You've reiterated my theme that regardless of sport, if you don't want to recruit, coach at an NCAA D-III or an NAIA school.

We've mentioned on many threads that RT has had athletics administration experience both at NCSU and at USC prior to becoming AD at USC, and thus was not completely green. But did he have any experience with candidate searching/interviewing/hiring?