Spring Depth Chart

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I think those are the areas. On a typical roster - WR's about 10, DL about 16, RBs about 5-6, TE's about 6. OL and DB may also have take a haircut.

Since we don't have an IR we don't cut injured players. I think there are a few guys who may have long term injury and recovery. you also are not cutting the incoming FR. This almost guarantees we will be cutting players who have been talked about as being key backups.

It is also possible that they seek to recruit from the portal, which would increase the number of cuts.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021

Very interesting. Something I had not thought of. Sports other than football have been splitting scholarship money for a long time. If true it makes sense that James has not been sweating numbers nearly as much as I have. LOL

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Very interesting. Something I had not thought of. Sports other than football have been splitting scholarship money for a long time. If true it makes sense that James has not been sweating numbers nearly as much as I have. LOL
these ideas are not new. BYU tried this with getting outside $$$ for "walk-on" players, and the NCAA ruled they counted to the 85 limit. There are also no partial scholarships in CFB. This was discussed when we got the sanctions as a way to work around our scholarship limits. None of what Nate said is a new idea. An SEC school got caught trying to use academic scholarships for FB players and they counted to the 85. All NCAA has to do is identify the player and how covered and just declare them on the 85 count.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Except that it doesn't work that way. There are two types of scholarship counts, "equivalency" and "headcount." Equivalency sports are those in which scholarships can be split. Football is a headcount sport. Any player receiving athletic-related financial aid counts against the limit of 85, whether a full-ride or an amount as small as, say, $2,000.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
For all intents and purposes, everything in that podcast, that came from NB, is patently not true. Stunningly so. FWIW.
Initially I thought he was trying to be "satirical", but I don't think so.

Reactions: marshall23

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
For all intents and purposes, everything in that podcast, that came from NB, is patently not true. Stunningly so. FWIW.
I dunno. Maybe they're intimating that in lieu of financial aid, players will receive NIL proceeds. Putting rules governing those sorts of things aside, not the most intelligent way of roster management.

Reactions: marshall23

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
these ideas are not new. BYU tried this with getting outside $$$ for "walk-on" players, and the NCAA ruled they counted to the 85 limit. There are also no partial scholarships in CFB. This was discussed when we got the sanctions as a way to work around our scholarship limits. None of what Nate said is a new idea. An SEC school got caught trying to use academic scholarships for FB players and they counted to the 85. All NCAA has to do is identify the player and how covered and just declare them on the 85 count.
In any event, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Except that it doesn't work that way. There are two types of scholarship counts, "equivalency" and "headcount." Equivalency sports are those in which scholarships can be split. Football is a headcount sport. Any player receiving athletic-related financial aid counts against the limit of 85, whether a full-ride or an amount as small as, say, $2,000.
That's why I said, "if true." I listened to Nate Bauer intimate that splitting or mixing and matching scholarships and NIL money was not only permissible but practiced currently. I am not qualified to occupy a position in any D1 Compliance Office.

CbusLion

Oct 28, 2021
"Money is fungible"

I guess those outside the 85 headcount limit won't receive *athletic-related financial aid*

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
"Money is fungible"

I guess those outside the 85 headcount limit won't receive *athletic-related financial aid*
But not unlimited. (NIL) money going to those outside of the 85 won't be available for top players, making them easier to poach. There are also adverse tax consequences.

I'm still expecting a national championship this year.

CbusLion

Oct 28, 2021
But not unlimited. (NIL) money going to those outside of the 85 won't be available for top players, making them easier to poach. There are also adverse tax consequences.

I'm still expecting a national championship this year.
Agreed, on all counts.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
archer youre wrong GIF