Spurrier on Georgia's schedule vs Florida and South Carolina

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
When Spurrier was asked about the upcoming SEC schedules and how Georgia's compare to some of the other teams within their division on Open Mike with Mike Bianchi.

"Right now, in the SEC, only two teams are playing two Power Five teams," Spurrier said. "We're playing Utah and FSU, and South Carolina is playing North Carolina and Clemson. And all the others are just one, some of them maybe none." The old head ball coach would then double down on his statement by saying, "I think Georgia opens up with UT-Martin, and we're going out to Utah, the team that just won the Pac-12. You know, there's a difference in scheduling to what your record's going to be."

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Georgia is a bit better than us and Florida. So I can’t say it’s going to be the difference in records at the end of the year. But no doubt we’ve got a tough schedule. That Thursday night game at Utah is going to be GREAT to watch in week 1. Don’t see the Gators coming out of there with a win. West Coast trips don’t seem to be kind to teams.

Begonenow

Joined Mar 23, 2009
Jan 25, 2022
The deal is injuries. Playing more tough opponents brings more injuries, the bug which we seem to catch each year.

Reactions: Maccmaine12

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
West Coast trips don’t seem to be kind to teams.
I agree with your point, but people from Utah might bristle at being called "west coast." In a straight line, Paducah, KY is closer to the east coast than Salt Lake City is the west coast. St. Louis, MO, Wichita, KS, and Amarillo, TX are closer to a coast (gulf coast) than Salt Lake is to the west coast. :ROFLMAO:

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Georgia was supposed to play Oklahoma this year, at Oklahoma, and the SEC made them cancel the game last Summer. Finding a replacement isn't easy and UT Martin was the only team that would agree to come to Athens without a return trip. The SEC should have arranged a replacement since they forced the cancellation of the game.

The whole SEC world knows about the cancellation of the Oklahoma game so I'm sure Spurrier knows about it too. He was trying to get a dig in at Georgia. It would have been fitting if Bianchi had asked Spurrier what effect a head coach quitting in the middle of the season might have on a team's record.

Spurrier makes some good comments but sometimes he looks like a bitter old fool.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Georgia is a bit better than us and Florida. So I can’t say it’s going to be the difference in records at the end of the year. But no doubt we’ve got a tough schedule. That Thursday night game at Utah is going to be GREAT to watch in week 1. Don’t see the Gators coming out of there with a win. West Coast trips don’t seem to be kind to teams.
Georgia is sort of like Bama when it comes to scheduling. The fact they never have to play Georgia makes their schedule easier. Bama used to get the same criticism about their schedule and Bama not having to play Bama was part of the reason why.

USC automatically has a tough schedule pretty much every year because they have always had to play Georgia and Clemson every year. Even when Georgia was not the Georgia of today, they were always a decent team, same with Clemson. Bama always plays LSU and Auburn, both are usually pretty good. Georgia always plays UF and UT, both of whom are historically good programs.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Georgia is sort of like Bama when it comes to scheduling. The fact they never have to play Georgia makes their schedule easier. Bama used to get the same criticism about their schedule and Bama not having to play Bama was part of the reason why.

USC automatically has a tough schedule pretty much every year because they have always had to play Georgia and Clemson every year. Even when Georgia was not the Georgia of today, they were always a decent team, same with Clemson. Bama always plays LSU and Auburn, both are usually pretty good. Georgia always plays UF and UT, both of whom are historically good programs.
I don’t disagree, but I think Spurrier was referring to out of conference games this season.

That being said, it wasn’t that far ago that Georgia got dealt a very good hand in scheduling when A&M and Missouri joined the conference. The SEC wasn’t so concerned with balancing it all out back then.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I agree with your point, but people from Utah might bristle at being called "west coast." In a straight line, Paducah, KY is closer to the east coast than Salt Lake City is the west coast. St. Louis, MO, Wichita, KS, and Amarillo, TX are closer to a coast (gulf coast) than Salt Lake is to the west coast. :ROFLMAO:
I knew someone would point this out when I posted 😉

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I actually went to Google maps to verify this. That is not the mental picture I have in my head...the West is a huge place that's for sure.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
I'm recalling that West Coast season opener for Arkansas versus a Matt Leinart led Southern Cal.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I'm recalling that West Coast season opener for Arkansas versus a Matt Leinart led Southern Cal.
Remember some good Tennessee teams struggling against UCLA and Cal back in the day too. A&M lost to UCLA. LSU lost to UCLA recently. These games don’t happen often, but there always seems to be an added layer of difficulty.

Another comparable would be when MSU traveled to BYU in 2016. They lost 28-21. They won by 25 the following season at home. Obviously I know that’s not ALL due to traveling…players graduate too. But it’s certainly tricky to go out there to play.