State in WBIT

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
That 10 point 3rd quarter almost sunk them, but they won the other 3 quarters and were tough down the stretch.

Since we've won two figured I'd look into this tourney. First year, run by the NCAA. Top 4 seeds are the losers of the NCAA First Four games. We're a two seed.

Play the winner of Penn State and Belmont game tomorrow. I assume we need Belmont to win to be a host again, since PS is the 1 seed.

Final Four is at Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse (from Hoosiers).

Reactions: skydawg1

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
That 2H is why I’m sliding off the back of the wagon. That was a terrible finish despite the outcome.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
what makes you think they would smash somebody at this point when they didn't during the end of the season? As far as I'm concerned, Anything we get right now is gravy.

Reactions: patdog

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
And not much gravy at that. It’s a freaking women’s 2nd tier tournament. Hard to give even one shart about that, much less two.
It is a Mississippi State team playing against another team. If you ain't for em, you agin em.

Be a Mississippi State fan rather than a front running tool. Or better yet. Don't give a shart away from the thread about one of our basketball teams that, LOOK AT THAT, is still playing!!!

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Since we've won two figured I'd look into this tourney. First year, run by the NCAA. Top 4 seeds are the losers of the NCAA First Four games. We're a two seed.
Close. It's the "First Four Out", which are the first four teams left out of the NCAA tournament. The losers of the First Four were Columbia, Auburn, Sacred Heart, and UT Martin, whose seasons are now over. The 1 seeds in the WBIT are Penn State, Washington State, Villanova, and Miami. Miami declined the tournament and were replaced with James Madison (which was kind of a weird deal because it gave JMU a 1 seed, even though they technically didn't make it the initial WBIT cut).

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Basically this is the women's equivalent of the NIT, even though there is already a tournament called the WNIT that was the equivalent before this tear.
Right. The NCAA doesn't own the WNIT (they own the men's NIT), and I guess thought they were leaving money on the table, so they created their own second tier tournament which has supplanted the WNIT as 'next in line' after the NCAA tournament.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Close. It's the "First Four Out", which are the first four teams left out of the NCAA tournament. The losers of the First Four were Columbia, Auburn, Sacred Heart, and UT Martin, whose seasons are now over. The 1 seeds in the WBIT are Penn State, Washington State, Villanova, and Miami. Miami declined the tournament and were replaced with James Madison (which was kind of a weird deal because it gave JMU a 1 seed, even though they technically didn't make it the initial WBIT cut).

You know, I had a feeling I wasn't reading that right, but was to lazy to check myself

Thanks.

Reactions: Dawgg

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
With 68 teams in the Womens' basketball tournament, winning this means our Ladies are 69th.
So based on your examination of seeding situation, you believe State's Mens team is the 32 best team in the country?
News Flash: They aren't!

There aren't 68 teams better than our Women's Team either. probably closer to 40 are. And that is the ridiculous thing about having over 340 teams in the same Division of Men's basketball.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
With 68 teams in the Womens' basketball tournament, winning this means our Ladies are 69th.
You understand how in any given year, there are 15-20 conferences that would get 0 bids if they just selected the best 68 teams, but instead they get an autobid? This has been the case in both the men's and women's tournament for decades.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
No, that would be the winner of the WNIT. This is an even lower tournament. Anyway, the're heading up to State College for the Quarterfinals.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
No, that would be the winner of the WNIT. This is an even lower tournament. Anyway, the're heading up to State College for the Quarterfinals.
This is not correct. The WBIT is a new tournament in front of the WNIT. The top seeds in the WBIT are the teams who barely missed the NCAA Tournament.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
This is above the WNIT.
I stand corrected.

This tourny was created to replace the non-NCAA sanctioned WNIT with one that is an official NCAA tourny, like the NIT. So now both Men's and Women's NCAA Basketball have a 68 team, and 32 team tournament.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The WBIT has supplanted the WNIT as the second tier women’s tournament. The WNIT gets the leftovers from the WBIT.

As I said above, the NCAA doesn’t own the Women’s NIT like it does the Men’s NIT, so they created their own tournament, which leapfrogged the WNIT in terms of prestige.

ETA: Sorry, I posted this before I saw your mea culpa.