Tech Sector Layoffs

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
This could get ugly.
And if those major layoffs by Meta and Google are concentrated in the bay area, could get very "interesting" for the affected cities and county. There will be knock on affects to other businesses that support those companies. Restaurants, night clubs, beauty salons, etc...

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
This could get ugly.
And if those major layoffs by Meta and Google are concentrated in the bay area, could get very "interesting" for the affected cities and county. There will be knock on affects to other businesses that support those companies. Restaurants, night clubs, beauty salons, etc...
Much like how Twitter actually got better after all of their layoffs I think the same principle will apply to Amazon, Google, and Facebook. Their companies were bloated with an excess of employees that didn't really do much except collect a paycheck. These companies will streamline and be none the worse for wear. Gone will be the epresso breakrooms, yoga rooms, and plenty of other excesses that don't really contribute to productivity. That's what I think will happen.

Reactions: Kaptain Karl

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Much like how Twitter actually got better after all of their layoffs I think the same principle will apply to Amazon, Google, and Facebook. Their companies were bloated with an excess of employees that didn't really do much except collect a paycheck. These companies will streamline and be none the worse for wear. Gone will be the epresso breakrooms, yoga rooms, and plenty of other excesses that don't really contribute to productivity. That's what I think will happen.

My comment was not about the future of those companies. But the people affected and the supporting businesses that will also be affected in the surrounding geographic areas.

101Coast

Sep 3, 2017
They can always go work for tiktok. I hear they are not laying off people.

Wait, the US government is trying to strong hand the company to sell shares to US interest because, you know, that how we roll bit ches. Freedom and democracy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ll-stakes-or-face-ban?leadSource=uverify wall

"The US has told TikTok’s owners in China to sell their shares or risk a ban of the popular video-sharing app..."

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
But the people affected and the supporting businesses that will also be affected in the surrounding geographic areas.
They may not be negatively affected at all if those companies become more efficient at what they do. This could turn out to be a good thing.

Reactions: CP619

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
They may not be negatively affected at all if those companies become more efficient at what they do. This could turn out to be a good thing.
How does that work?
If I have less people coming to my restaurant, less people using my dry cleaning, less people buying gas at my station, less people shopping in my store..... I don't give a damn that the former employer of all my customers is more efficient. Does not help me one bit.

Reactions: Torch901 and Troken

Kaptain Karl

Feb 16, 2018
Could happen but also Twitter was an inflated piece of crap that was taken over by different leadership. Like him or hate him but Elon is a business magician, wouldnt bet against him.

Reactions: Troken and Socrates

Troken

Aug 24, 2017
This could get ugly.
San Fran might not be able to get to reparation payments out if nobody is working at Meta or Google.

BehindSunset

Aug 24, 2017
How does that work?
If I have less people coming to my restaurant, less people using my dry cleaning, less people buying gas at my station, less people shopping in my store..... I don't give a damn that the former employer of all my customers is more efficient. Does not help me one bit.
Yeah it’s tough. These companies probably were too bloated but for local small businesses that could be a huge hit. Talked to an employee based out of San Jose and he has some college friends who just got RIF’d. Sure it was bloat but there are knock on effects to trimming a company’s fat.

Latest posts