The Big 3 - An overview

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Baseball is 3-9 in 1-run games, and about to lose series to om

Football this fall has a ceiling of 6-6

Basketball coach is not happy....wants out....and can't get past round 1 of the NCAAT anyway.

We are...MSU

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Our basketball program has been to 2 straight tourneys. I don’t care if he wants to stay or go that’s a good thing. Our basketball history is terrible.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Next year has a chance to be first time since 86’ that none of the big 3 sports makes the postseason

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Baseball is 3-9 in 1-run games, and about to lose series to om

Football this fall has a ceiling of 6-6

Basketball coach is not happy....wants out....and can't get past round 1 of the NCAAT anyway.

We are...MSU
If you think the ceiling for this football team is 6-6, then don't watch.
Baseball will be fine, we lost a series to our rival on the road. It Happens.
Jans didn't go anywhere so the crisis has been averted. He will stay at least another year.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Salmon is stealing money.
So for now, we have Basketball (vast improvement over what we had before) and Football (way too early to know anything) clearly on Salmon's resume as he hired them. Baseball, if it doesn't improve dramatically this year with something post-season to show for will be on him due to either action or inaction I would think.

If we find that our athletics department support of the basketball program is why Jans is looking to bolt, then I'd say we can pin that on him. If Jans is just like a lot of these coaches and always trying to see where he can get an extra dollar, I'm not sure how you vet that in the hiring process?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Jans didn't go anywhere so the crisis has been averted. He will stay at least another year.
Wow, talk about putting on the maroon blinders, and wrapping yourself up in the maroon sheep-wool blanket.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Please don't try to ruin a good woe is me rant.***

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
and lost a home game to 15-19 Air Force, swept at home by Austin Peay, lost a home game to 19-17 GA Southern, a neutral site game to 20-16 S. AL, a home game to 22-15 LSU that is now 3-12 in conference and has been swept twice in conference and lost 2 of 3 three times, we lost at home to 13-21 Central Arkansas, and just lost 2 out of 3 including a run rule to a terrible Univ of Northern MS team. Yeah, we'll be fine***........

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Wow, talk about putting on the maroon blinders, and wrapping yourself up in the maroon sheep-wool blanket.
I think this is a good thread and time to bring this back, especially the last 2 sentences......."maroon blinders and sheep-wool blanket" hahahahahahahahahah

1713192668410.png

• Haha
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think this is a good thread and time to bring this back, especially the last 2 sentences......."maroon blinders and sheep-wool blanket" hahahahahahahahahah

View attachment 558228
That was a reasonable take. Who knew Arnett would be THAT terrible? Basketball made the dance (and underachieved). And it's obvious baseball is underachieving for some pretty easy-to-see reasons, and overall talent isn't really one of them (although we are definitely a bunch of pvssies).

But sure, if I need to take the L on that prediction, so be it. I can't control everything.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That was a reasonable take. Who knew Arnett would be THAT terrible? Basketball made the dance (and underachieved). And it's obvious baseball is underachieving for some pretty easy-to-see reasons, and overall talent isn't really one of them (although we are definitely a bunch of pvssies).

But sure, if I need to take the L on that prediction, so be it. I can't control everything.
our baseball program's overall talent isnt an issue? C'mon man.

patdog

May 28, 2007
and lost a home game to 15-19 Air Force, swept at home by Austin Peay, lost a home game to 19-17 GA Southern, a neutral site game to 20-16 S. AL, a home game to 22-15 LSU that is now 3-12 in conference and has been swept twice in conference and lost 2 of 3 three times, we lost at home to 13-21 Central Arkansas, and just lost 2 out of 3 including a run rule to a terrible Univ of Northern MS team. Yeah, we'll be fine***........
Yeah. At some point it's not "just baseball." It's just bad baseball.

Reactions: 60sdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
our baseball program's overall talent isnt an issue? C'mon man.
We are better than our record.

Again, the issues with this team can be summed up like this:

Air Force, Austin Peay, South Alabama, LSU, Florida (twice), Central Arkansas, Georgia, Ole Miss

Let's take 2 of those out and just call them close losses, that's baseball, whatever.....say LSU and Austin Peay. We would be 29-7, 11-4. Good for 3rd in the conference and firmly in national seed territory.

Think about that. Is our talent bad? No. Does our culture suck? Yes. Some of our decisions are sketch too.

Reactions: 60sdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Wont defend some of the coaching decisions. But i disagree with we are better than our record. We dont have more than 2 reliable arms in the pen. We dont have a solid Sunday guy, let alone a dependable mid-week starter. We have 4.5 hitters that resemble SEC hitters.

I was actually going to post something earlier about the similarities b/t us and Ole miss after watching the series .. and I dont think anyone thinks Ole Miss has a roster loaded with talent.... but both rosters are VERY similar with obvious holes making it difficult to navigate games/weeks/tough opponents.

You can flip the losses into wins if you want. You can do it the other way as well. Our predicted record was 32-24 with a 12-18 conference mark prior to the conference season starting. I think I thought we'd be slightly better than that.. But I think we are probably right there on par with our talent and record being about dead on... and actually if anything per the metrics and numbers we are OVER performing, not UNDER

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You can do it the other way as well.
You really can't. You can flop a couple of those midweek game where we came back, and I did that. But not many other teams have the totally blown games that we do, due to stupid stuff.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's not very sound logic. And coming from a person with a clear agenda (just like with Cohen in his early days), it's hard for me to take that seriously.
Well, you deleted the part of my post with the reasons and logic, so yeah. Just for the hell of it, what’s your logic that we are better than our record?

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You really can't. You can flop a couple of those midweek game where we came back, and I did that. But not many other teams have the totally blown games that we do, due to stupid stuff.
There are 3-4 games we could have lost but we played well and won.

Also games that we lost that were close, doesnt mean we should have won them. We lost the LSU game 9-8 and never had the lead.

End of day: our metric record predicted 32-24 and 12-18. We are currently ahead of that pace. There is no way our roster is even in the top part of the SEC.. let alone does this roster look like any type of national seed team.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well, you deleted the part of my post with the reasons and logic, so yeah. Just for the hell of it, what’s your logic that we are better than our record?
Those were just assumptions.

My logic was in my post you responded to. I lined out the games we flat out blew.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There are 3-4 games we could have lost but we played well and won.

Also games that we lost that were close, doesnt mean we should have won them. We lost the LSU game 9-8 and never had the lead.

End of day: our metric record predicted 32-24 and 12-18. We are currently ahead of that pace. There is no way our roster is even in the top part of the SEC.. let alone does this roster look like any type of national seed team.
You're lying if you are sitting here trying to say this year has not been a disappointment. You know it has. Baseball preseason expectations are notoriously wrong. After watching this team up through now, and you don't think this year is a disappointment from what your EYES, not Kendall Rogers, tell you, then you're missing some screws.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
So for now, we have Basketball (vast improvement over what we had before) and Football (way too early to know anything) clearly on Salmon's resume as he hired them. Baseball, if it doesn't improve dramatically this year with something post-season to show for will be on him due to either action or inaction I would think.

If we find that our athletics department support of the basketball program is why Jans is looking to bolt, then I'd say we can pin that on him. If Jans is just like a lot of these coaches and always trying to see where he can get an extra dollar, I'm not sure how you vet that in the hiring process?
Selmon’s tenure won’t be judged on baseball. It’s never happened in the history of AD’s. Whether Selmon sinks or swims will depend on football.