The NFL Has Never Seen a Player Like Micah Parsons

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Yep, Parsons is the best NFL linebacker ever as long as you don't consider Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Dick Butkus, Ted Hendricks, Bobby Bell, Bill George, Jack Ham, Joe Schmidt, Ray Nitschke, Ray Lewis, Dave Robinson, Mike Singletary, Brian Urlacher, Jack Lambert, Willie Lanier, Lee Roy Jordan, Sam Huff, and Nick Buoniconti. I would argue that Dennis Onkontz was better than Parsons before his injuries.
You forgot about Hardy Brown!!

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
Legit question - considering other players mentioned here have matched LT’s numbers or even eclipsed them, would his name resonate as the undisputed best ever had he not played in the country’s premiere market? Not asking to dispute his obvious greatness, but rather I’m curious about the perception of his greatness.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Legit question - considering other players mentioned here have matched LT’s numbers or even eclipsed them, would his name resonate as the undisputed best ever had he not played in the country’s premiere market? Not asking to dispute his obvious greatness, but rather I’m curious about the perception of his greatness.
Oh, he was a one-man wrecking crew. Definitely a top-ten LB any way you slice it.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

SW-Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Yep, Parsons is the best NFL linebacker ever as long as you don't consider Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Dick Butkus, Ted Hendricks, Bobby Bell, Bill George, Jack Ham, Joe Schmidt, Ray Nitschke, Ray Lewis, Dave Robinson, Mike Singletary, Brian Urlacher, Jack Lambert, Willie Lanier, Lee Roy Jordan, Sam Huff, and Nick Buoniconti. I would argue that Dennis Onkontz was better than Parsons before his injuries.
Wow, Ted “Kick ‘em in the head” Hendricks. There was a story from Howie Long when he got into the league about Hendricks. Long had a great perspective on Ted.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Ok do Saquon now. He left a year early.
They are not the same situations.

In fall 2018, Saquon was an employee of the Giants in the NFL.

In fall 2020, Parsons was not an employee of an NFL team. He was either a part time or full time student enrolled with PSU.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
They are not the same situations.

In fall 2018, Saquon was an employee of the Giants in the NFL.

In fall 2020, Parsons was not an employee of an NFL team. He was either a part time or full time student enrolled with PSU.
Oh, so you get to make up the rules on when guys can leave early? Got it. ✌️

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Well, in comparison, Doc Ellis threw a no hitter while on LSD. Who else did that?
Oh, I’m aware. Crazy story. I’m a big Pirates fan and supposedly the rumors were that some of those Pirates teams really knew how to have a good time. Maybe they should give some of the current Pirates some LSD? Maybe it would help?

• Wow
Reactions: haveyoumethoward

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
Well, I will give it to Dallas they know how to use him. His numbers all around will be better than TJ Watt after two seasons and that is saying something.

Can't real quantify the impact from one generation to another. Stats were different. If you look at LT on Pro Football Reference, he has 0 career forced fumbles.

It is easy to identify the greats compared to their peers and I think Parsons is certainly on his way to an all-timer.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
The rule is already there…three years whereas most players (like Barkley) play for those three years and then leave….Parsons took a year off. I also recall Barkley playing in the bowl game going against advice from many people because Barkley wanted to play with his team and support his teammates. You’re trying to compare apples to watermelons. No one on here would have anything bad to say about Parsons had he actually played his third year instead of just quitting.

Reactions: TiogaLion

haveyoumethoward

Nov 16, 2021
The greatness of a player, whether he is the best ever at his position, cannot be measured by stats alone nor by any other single factor for that matter including where they played which is a non-factor to me. For example, Jim Brown or Emmitt Smith, pick one. Brown's my choice as the best.
LT was a "crazed dog" who absolutely destroyed an offense and QB's. I still cringe envisioning him breaking Theismann's leg. Dick Butkus, he was as feared in his day as much as LT in his. He said he tried to break the ball carrier in half on every tackle he made. He was absolutely awesome to watch. It's too hard to pick one over the other to me. Different eras, different usages of LB's but definitely 2 of the absolute greatest. So, to me where a player spent his career doesn't add to or detract from the "perception of his greatness".

Last edited:

Schoolie

Oct 12, 2021
I believe he took a class or classes in the Fall of ‘20 to graduate. I would think there is a very good chance they were free to him as a scholarship athlete.

He did nothing illegal or against the rules.

But, if he had played one more year, he would have honorably held up his end of the deal.

Maybe that way of doing things just makes me an old curmudgeon.
That’s okay, I am one, too, and normally proud of it.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Considering I wrote he didn’t break any rules nor proclaimed myself any type of authoritive figure, it appears that you enjoy trying to instigate.

Insinuate an accusation while being a smart aleck. Finish it off with a peace sign. Real classy.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Considering I wrote he didn’t break any rules nor proclaimed myself any type of authoritive figure, it appears that you enjoy trying to instigate.

Insinuate an accusation while being a smart aleck. Finish it off with a peace sign. Real classy.
Considering you didn't give a eff about Covid restrictions and a team like Michigan played 6 games that season and don't factor that in to his decision makes you a 🍑. @Ludd

Last edited:

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
Kemp was born in 1985. That narrows his insights on many of the great past players. For example, LT played from 1981-1993, meaning Kemp was about 8 years old the last year LT played.

oldpsubear

Oct 28, 2021
Two gentlemen by the names of Brown and Bukus would have something to say about that

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021

He didn’t know all that stuff when he made his decision. He was opting out regardless.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
No. The issue and primary point, is that too many in the media and some uneducated fans have a “latest is the greatest” mentality. Nothing against Parsons. Just asking people to read a little sports history and do some basic research before anointing an athlete as the greatest or best ever.
And too many older folks have “oldest is greatest” mentality. Athletes are bigger, stronger and faster these days so I’m not sure many of the old superstars would be superstars today.

DTownlion57

Nov 1, 2021
Playing in the largest TV market certainty made a huge difference. I often thought about a great Hall of Fame Linebacker playing a couple of hundred miles to the north of NYC by the name of Andre Tippett.
Tippett was inducted into the University of Iowa Hall of Fame on September 7, 2007. In January 2008, he was voted by a panel of former NFL players and coaches to Pro Football Weekly' s All-Time 3–4 defensive team along with Harry Carson, Lawrence Taylor, Randy Gradishar, Howie Long, Lee Roy Selmon, and Curley Culp.
What if Tippett played for the Giants and LT for the Pats?
FYI I had this conversation with AT prior to playing in a golf outing outside of Boston around 2002. Andre played against my younger brother in HS in NJ. Lets just say he was very complementary of his buddy LT. Andre played HS ball 10 miles from the Meadowlands.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Yep, Parsons is the best NFL linebacker ever as long as you don't consider Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Dick Butkus, Ted Hendricks, Bobby Bell, Bill George, Jack Ham, Joe Schmidt, Ray Nitschke, Ray Lewis, Dave Robinson, Mike Singletary, Brian Urlacher, Jack Lambert, Willie Lanier, Lee Roy Jordan, Sam Huff, and Nick Buoniconti. I would argue that Dennis Onkontz before his injuries was better than Parsons .
The point of the story is that Parsons is so much more than a LB or an edge pass rusher, he does all of it. One of the Dallas coaches said that Pasons could start for all 32 teams at S, LB, or DE.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
The point of the story is that Parsons is so much more than a LB or an edge pass rusher, he does all of it. One of the Dallas coaches said that Pasons could start for all 32 teams at S, LB, or DE.
Does it all?? What does that mean?? Besides rushing the passer or getting playing LBer, what else does he do? Return kicks? Runs the ball??

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Does it all?? What does that mean?? Besides rushing the passer or getting playing LBer, what else does he do? Return kicks? Runs the ball??
Did you not read the article? That was the entire premise…

Latest posts