The worst message board cliches......

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
And the coaches you mention aren’t winning with low end talent either in college or the NFL. I agree it’s a combo of talent and coaching, but you and many others weigh the coaching part way too much. According to many Franklin can only beat teams that have less talent, yet when we have less talent (like against OSU) he gets outcoached…hypocrisy at its finest.
Coach has the responsibility for recruiting, developing, and preparing players to win games, full stop.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Coach has the responsibility for recruiting, developing, and preparing players to win games, full stop.
Players have the responsibility to do what they’re taught and make plays when needed, full stop.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
Players have the responsibility to do what they’re taught and make plays when needed, full stop.

1715397470083.jpeg

I agree, but if you think our guys are being guided by a strategic genius who is top level amongst his peers, the win/loss record of James against OSU and Michigan just doesn’t hold water. All of those PSU players over years and years of Franklin coaching simply failed to execute in order to give him that record? Every single one of them in every big game? Come on man, there was some NFL talent on all of those rosters. It’s ok to admit we are what we are under james and what he is in terms of coaching. If people want more on the field, they are justified in their wanting a change.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Players will occasionally flub plays. If they do so frequently that it results in losses the coaches haven't recruited the right guys or developed them adequately.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
1715397470083.jpeg

I agree, but if you think our guys are being guided by a strategic genius who is top level amongst his peers, the win/loss record of James against OSU and Michigan just doesn’t hold water. All of those PSU players over years and years of Franklin coaching simply failed to execute in order to give him that record? Every single one of them in every big game? Come on man, there was some NFL talent on all of those rosters. It’s ok to admit we are what we are under james and what he is in terms of coaching. If people want more on the field, they are justified in their wanting a change.
There were quite a few of those games where if the players made just a couple more plays, they would have won. The coach can’t do it for them.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Point: "I watched player X play three downs when he was a freshman; he's no good. Why are we wasting a scholarship on him?!"

Counterpoint: "I watched player X play three downs when he was a freshman; he's a phenom! Why haven't we offered him yet?"

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Players will occasionally flub plays. If they do so frequently that it results in losses the coaches haven't recruited the right guys or developed them adequately.
It doesn’t always take flubbing plays frequently to lose especially against a better opponent. One play here or there often makes the difference.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
It doesn’t always take flubbing plays frequently to lose especially against a better opponent. One play here or there often makes the difference.
So why do most of the flubbing or negative plays somehow happen to PSU vs Major Opponents?🤷🏼‍♂️

I have to give you credit. Your board name is very fitting.

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
And who is responsible for opponents being "better?" Coaches have nothing to do with it, I guess.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
So why do most of the flubbing or negative plays somehow happen to PSU vs Major Opponents?🤷🏼‍♂️

I have to give you credit. Your board name is very fitting.

You mean why do most flubbing or negative plays happen to all underdogs vs major opponents. That’s how sports works.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
And who is responsible for opponents being "better?" Coaches have nothing to do with it, I guess.
But coaches don’t have everything to do with it. It takes more than a coach to build a football factory, that’s why there are so few of them.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Don’t put them in positions to make mistakes. A microcosm of the Big Game James Coaching Experience is Indiana 2020. With 1:47 left in the game and a 1 point lead, on first and 10 from the 14 Ford runs the ball in for a TD. Indiana has two TOs left. We know he told Ford not to score, but you don’t have to tell a player that if you just take a knee, or have your experienced QB run around to kill the clock then knee. Force Indiana to take their TOs so when they get the ball back, they have less than a minute to drive and score. Ultimately it took Indiana 1:20 to drive the field and convert a two point conversion. Sure, you hope your D doesn’t let the other team drive the field and convert a two point conversion in the last seconds of the game, but in a game of inches and seconds you take your time and kick the FG - a TD still makes it a one score game but, the FG ensures they have to score a TD to win. Give them no wiggle room. Franklin continually makes these curious in game decisions when it comes to game and time management.

And FWIW - Penix didn’t score anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdgan

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Don’t put them in positions to make mistakes. A microcosm of the Big Game James Coaching Experience is Indiana 2020. With 1:47 left in the game and a 1 point lead, on first and 10 from the 14 Ford runs the ball in for a TD. Indiana has two TOs left. We know he told Ford not to score, but you don’t have to tell a player that if you just take a knee, or have your experienced QB run around to kill the clock then knee. Force Indiana to take their TOs so when they get the ball back, they have less than a minute to drive and score. Ultimately it took Indiana 1:20 to drive the field and convert a two point conversion. Sure, you hope your D doesn’t let the other team drive the field and convert a two point conversion in the last seconds of the game, but in a game of inches and seconds you take your time and kick the FG - a TD still makes it a one score game but, the FG ensures they have to score a TD to win. Give them no wiggle room. Franklin continually makes these curious in game decisions when it comes to clock and time management.

One of my bad memories was vs Maryland. PSU led 19-17 with 3 minutes to go and the ball on our own 17 yd line. A first down seals the victory but Franklin ran Lynch 3 straight times and punted which gave MD great field position and the best FG kicker in the BiG (Craddock). PSU loses 20-19.

I remember losing to and inferior MSU team. Dantonio knew he was out matched so he drew up a few trick plays that PSU was totally unprepared for. And who can forget the double digit 4th qtr leads blown in losses to OSU & USC?

For the record I think Franklin is one of the top 15 coaches in the country. I also realize that we're usually going to be at a disadvantage vs OSU and maybe Michigan. But there are also years where those teams are reloading and PSU has more upper classmen returning. Franklin has struggled to capitalize in those situations because IMO his shorts get tight. We can only hope he gains confidence with experience.

P.S. I'm concerned that things are going to become more difficult for PSU football with NIL. We're in better shape than 75% of most P% schools but the elite schools are widening their advantage. JMO.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
One of my bad memories was vs Maryland. PSU led 19-17 with 3 minutes to go and the ball on our own 17 yd line. A first down seals the victory but Franklin ran Lynch 3 straight times and punted which gave MD great field position and the best FG kicker in the BiG (Craddock). PSU loses 20-19.

I remember losing to and inferior MSU team. Dantonio knew he was out matched so he drew up a few trick plays that PSU was totally unprepared for. And who can forget the double digit 4th qtr leads blown in losses to OSU & USC?

For the record I think Franklin is one of the top 15 coaches in the country. I also realize that we're usually going to be at a disadvantage vs OSU and maybe Michigan. But there are also years where those teams are reloading and PSU has more upper classmen returning. Franklin has struggled to capitalize in those situations because IMO his shorts get tight. We can only hope he gains confidence with experience.

P.S. I'm concerned that things are going to become more difficult for PSU football with NIL. We're in better shape than 75% of most P% schools but the elite schools are widening their advantage. JMO.

Right - the bowl game against Kentucky too. Lots of these examples that aren’t against OSU or Michigan.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Not that I disagree with you, but why?

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Remember a coach who won 409 games saying that there are usually 4
Don’t put them in positions to make mistakes. A microcosm of the Big Game James Coaching Experience is Indiana 2020. With 1:47 left in the game and a 1 point lead, on first and 10 from the 14 Ford runs the ball in for a TD. Indiana has two TOs left. We know he told Ford not to score, but you don’t have to tell a player that if you just take a knee, or have your experienced QB run around to kill the clock then knee. Force Indiana to take their TOs so when they get the ball back, they have less than a minute to drive and score. Ultimately it took Indiana 1:20 to drive the field and convert a two point conversion. Sure, you hope your D doesn’t let the other team drive the field and convert a two point conversion in the last seconds of the game, but in a game of inches and seconds you take your time and kick the FG - a TD still makes it a one score game but, the FG ensures they have to score a TD to win. Give them no wiggle room. Franklin continually makes these curious in game decisions when it comes to game and time management.

Dude give it a rest. Franklin told Ford not to score and you can tell by his reaction that he knew he screwed up. So now we are down to criticizing Franklin for not knowing his player was not going to follow instructions and screw up. Wow!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
1979 Sugar Bowl certainly comes to mind here

Remember a coach who won 409 games saying that there are usually 4

Dude give it a rest. Franklin told Ford not to score and you can tell by his reaction that he knew he screwed up. So now we are down to criticizing Franklin for not knowing his player was not going to follow instructions and screw up. Wow!

Bad call by James. There is a reason Ford never lived up to his five star billing. KNEEL AND WASTE TIME, FORCE INDIANA TO USE ITS TIME OUTS. Not hard. It’s less not knowing his player would brain fart and more knowing it’s better to score with as little time left as possible and leaving Indiana without timeouts. The best way to do that is three clock killing plays with your QB.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Others that come to my mind, Ohio, VA and MD are 3 from OB's tenure. And about 10 years in a row to both Iowa and Michigan from Joe's time.
My complaint about O'Brien was that he didn't really have much interest on PSU. He was just using us as a stepping stone to and NFL HC job. He stayed with the Patriots while our recruits were bailing out then left PSU after only 2 years.

Wrt OH & VA... I have always believed PSU was in a position to win the BiG that year before the JS scandal broke. PSU lost several key players to Freeh agency including our best RB (Redd), best kicker (Fera), best WR (Brown) and top LB (Fortt). We finished 8-4 but would have easily been 9-2 by beating OG & VA where we couldn't even kick a FG. That leaves OSU & Nebraska which were both relatively close games and I think we would have won both with the players I mentioned (plus TE Haplea, OT Nowicki, WR Kersey, DT Pollard, etc).

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
My complaint about O'Brien was that he didn't really have much interest on PSU. He was just using us as a stepping stone to and NFL HC job. He stayed with the Patriots while our recruits were bailing out then left PSU after only 2 years.

Wrt OH & VA... I have always believed PSU was in a position to win the BiG that year before the JS scandal broke. PSU lost several key players to Freeh agency including our best RB (Redd), best kicker (Fera), best WR (Brown) and top LB (Fortt). We finished 8-4 but would have easily been 9-2 by beating OG & VA where we couldn't even kick a FG. That leaves OSU & Nebraska which were both relatively close games and I think we would have won both with the players I mentioned (plus TE Haplea, OT Nowicki, WR Kersey, DT Pollard, etc).

Hit to recruiting was brutal - especially since Urban Meyer took the OSU job; took four or five of our top recruits.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Bad call by James. There is a reason Ford never lived up to his five star billing. KNEEL AND WASTE TIME, FORCE INDIANA TO USE ITS TIME OUTS. Not hard. It’s less not knowing his player would brain fart and more knowing it’s better to score with as little time left as possible and leaving Indiana without timeouts. The best way to do that is three clock killing plays with your QB.
It was a bad call because there was one more moving part than necessary: the hand-off from the QB to a RB, which could have resulted in a fumble. Ford takes most of the blame in this case, but the coach doesn't get a pass either.

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
You are unqualified to provide an opinion because you never coached football.
But providing political opinions when never in politics, providing medical opinions when never a physician, providing real estate opinions when not a Realtor, providing cooking opinions when never a chef, etc. are all OK and practiced daily.

It's unfair to criticize a play after it's happened.
Yes, one must predict the bad plays before they happen in order for it to be a valid observation.

Weather threads are bad for the board.
Indefensible. 😞

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Fire Franklin!!
Nahhhh someone in this thread actually said he was unfireable which was the dumbest take ever. Every coach is fireable for on the field or off the field things, but people that want to force a point down peoples throats make crap up or just find different ways to say it over and over again. Most coaches winning 10 games a year aren't getting canned...not an absolute fact for sure, but there haven't been many. It's now May, but we still have people acting like this is coaching change is some sort of reality. Maybe PSU really tanks super hard this year so they can get their I was right trophy that they so desperately seek?

brian regan what GIF

Last edited:
Reactions: Bkmtnittany1

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
"But" fanboys. I loved Joe, but.......
Also, "considering OUR resources. LOL Everyone else plays intramurals.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Self righteous postings of “I couldn’t care less.”

If you are scrolling a message board, take the time to open, read, and post your unsolicited opinion on a thread, you have proven that you do in fact care. If you truly could not care less, you would have kept on scrolling.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Self righteous postings of “I couldn’t care less.”

If you are scrolling a message board, take the time to open, read, and post your unsolicited opinion on a thread, you have proven that you do in fact care. If you truly could not care less, you would have kept on scrolling.
Along this line, unless it’s something very important to you, don’t **** on other people’s enthusiasms.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Along this line, unless it’s something very important to you, don’t **** on other people’s enthusiasms.
Unless it’s a backhanded math joke. 😜 Seriously, I love mathematicians, accountants, etc. The more numbers that they crunch, the less I have to and the world is better for it!

• Haha
Reactions: LionJim