This baseball team...

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
I have a question about the Petry home run (or single if you prefer). That is the first time I have ever seen that scenario play out in 60 plus years of watching baseball. Now......would the 2 runs have counted if there had been 2 outs already?

Reactions: Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
I have a question about the Petry home run (or single if you prefer). That is the first time I have ever seen that scenario play out in 60 plus years of watching baseball. Now......would the 2 runs have counted if there had been 2 outs already?
He took first base so any run that happens before the 3rd out is called would count. I was watching but missed this play so I don't know how the timing went.

upstategc

Joined Jul 31, 2007
Jan 25, 2022
Very good question. I would like to know what the Score Card would look like after it was scored on the score-card. I guess he would be credited with a single and an out (as if he was tagged out running the bases after the base runners had scored.

Mountain guy

Jun 14, 2023
I'm with you in years of watching baseball. Very weird scenario..

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
Very good question. I would like to know what the Score Card would look like after it was scored on the score-card. I guess he would be credited with a single and an out (as if he was tagged out running the bases after the base runners had scored.
He was called out immediately after he passed the runner so no runs would have been counted I guess because neither runner had crossed the plate. Who knows? I am certain someone will provide a definitive answer soon....

Silverspur02

Joined Jan 26, 2006 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
He was called out immediately after he passed the runner so no runs would have been counted I guess because neither runner had crossed the plate. Who knows? I am certain someone will provide a definitive answer soon....

Minor Leagues​

7/28/1924 - In an International League game at Rochester, Fred Merkel hit a home run against Baltimore with Griffin on second and Gonzales on third. Griffin passed Gonzales before the latter could score for the third out. The three lost runs cost Rochester the game, as they lost 4-2 to the Orioles.

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022

WOW!!! Finally, someone 'understands' baseball!!!

I'm not going to hi-jack the thread but, I'll wait until it slows down and then tell ya a story I believe,, you, will appreciate.

Jan 24, 2022
On July 4th, 1976 I was attending a twill bill between the Phillies & Pirates @ 3 Rivers.
Tim McCarver, with the bases juiced, hit a high fly that just cleared the right field wall. He passed the runner on first (neither paying attention….needless to say). Timmy was credited w/ a 3 run single.

oh, I feel so Paul Harvey-ish.

Reactions: USCEDGE

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
On July 4th, 1976 I was attending a twill bill between the Phillies & Pirates @ 3 Rivers.
Tim McCarver, with the bases juiced, hit a high fly that just cleared the right field wall. He passed the runner on first (neither paying attention….needless to say). Timmy was credited w/ a 3 run single.

oh, I feel so Paul Harvey-ish.
But how many outs were there when he hit the homer? If there were 2 outs then would the 3 runs have counted since the third out was recorded when McCarver passed the runner.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Seems like we have been searching for who we are and what kind of team we want to be for years now as we have abandoned one style for another time and again. Let's put an end to that and go with who we were yesterday. I want to see us be that team. That needs to be our identify. I dont ever want to hear an announcer again say that kind of ball is typically not what Gamecock baseball is known for. That has been our problem

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
Seems like we have been searching for who we are and what kind of team we want to be for years now as we have abandoned one style for another time and again. Let's put an end to that and go with who we were yesterday. I want to see us be that team. That needs to be our identify. I dont ever want to hear an announcer again say that kind of ball is typically not what Gamecock baseball is known for. That has been our problem
To prove your point, there was a big inning yesterday where damage was done giving Kentucky 2 outs with sacrifice bunts. Hopefully this is the blueprint going forward.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
To prove your point, there was a big inning yesterday where damage was done giving Kentucky 2 outs with sacrifice bunts. Hopefully this is the blueprint going forward.
All I've ever really wanted was to see us as more than a one-dimensional team... a team capable of applying a strategy and look like we have worked on it for a particular situation. I've always hated to see us shy away from a certain way to play because we want to be something else. What I do want to see is us ready to play any way we need to with a wide open playbook. To be prepared for anything. I felt like that what we saw yesterday. It was glorious. Agreed. If this isn't seen as a blueprint, I dont know what it.

Jan 24, 2022
But how many outs were there when he hit the homer? If there were 2 outs then would the 3 runs have counted since the third out was recorded when McCarver passed the runner.
There were no outs when mccarver connected.

reference your account I would think how many crossed the plate before Tim’s miscue. Needless to say 2 outs would had the runners going.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
All I've ever really wanted was to see us as more than a one-dimensional team... a team capable of applying a strategy and look like we have worked on it for a particular situation. I've always hated to see us shy away from a certain way to play because we want to be something else. What I do want to see is us ready to play any way we need to with a wide open playbook. To be prepared for anything. I felt like that what we saw yesterday. It was glorious. Agreed. If this isn't seen as a blueprint, I dont know what it.
I just shake my head that we lead the nation in walks and are 28th in strikeouts! We very rarely have paired up pitching with offense, it's either one or the other in our losses.

Reactions: Blues man