This weekend was a surreal experience...

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,827
2,955
113
Like a nightmare that you can’t wake up from. Just incomprehensible that a team as bad as mizzou is was doing what they did to the 3rd ranked team on the last home series of the year. Senior weekend. With a shot at an SEC title on the line no less. This was 10x worse than the arky sweep. Nay, 100x worse. Still hard to process.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
Like a nightmare that you can’t wake up from. Just incomprehensible that a team as bad as mizzou is was doing what they did to the 3rd ranked team on the last home series of the year. Senior weekend. With a shot at an SEC title on the line no less. This was 10x worse than the arky sweep. Nay, 100x worse. Still hard to process.

Was this their first SEC series win? I think I know the answer. As I said in another post, we seem to quite often bring out the best in some really crappy teams.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
Was this their first SEC series win? I think I know the answer. As I said in another post, we seem to quite often bring out the best in some really crappy teams.

They did win a series against A&M but had lost like 9 conference games in a row and 15 of 16 before yesterday.
 

Hanmudog

Redshirt
Apr 30, 2006
5,853
0
0
Our play was so bad this weekend that it makes me wonder if there was not more to the story. Team wide food poisoning? A clap epidemic?
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
Our play was so bad this weekend that it makes me wonder if there was not more to the story. Team wide food poisoning? A clap epidemic?

The only thing I can figure is that they were just mentally not into those games. Maybe they were just convinced that all they had to do was show up. And Missouri just seemed turned on and totally into it. Even though they lost game one, I think they had confidence that they could beat us, and it just snowballed on us from there. Just one of those perfect storms where we played our worst baseball of the season and they played their best.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
The only thing I can figure is that they were just mentally not into those games. Maybe they were just convinced that all they had to do was show up. And Missouri just seemed turned on and totally into it. Even though they lost game one, I think they had confidence that they could beat us, and it just snowballed on us from there. Just one of those perfect storms where we played our worst baseball of the season and they played their best.

It does remind me of a football game I was part of back in high school. I played for the biggest school in Alabama at the time. We had a QB who had an offer to pitch for MSU he never took, a future Mr. Football Alabama who would have played for Gene Stallings had he been smart enough to spell ACT, a nose guard who did play for UAB, and so on.

We were a 1 loss team going into the last week of the year. Playoff spot locked up. We played some 5-A school in rural bum17 Alabama. The stands on both sides of the field were old rotten 2x4s. They came into the game with zero wins. We were so checked out our coach didn't even make us watch film on them.

They kicked our butts. Why, not because they were the better team so they say. But because they came in with a must win mentality, prepared hard, and just wanted it more. We thought this was a nothing game and we would win easy. Like I said, even our coaches were checked out.

Perhaps this is what our team needed. Of course it ends our chances to win the SEC. But perhaps it wakes us up for postseason play.
 

Shmuley

Heisman
Mar 6, 2008
24,313
12,271
113
I wish I could find a pic of the old dude in the Farmer’s Insurance ad hanging out the window with paint on his face saying, “Phone it in, why don’t ya.” Appropriate for what this coaching staff and team did this weekend.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
It happens. These super-talented coddled suburban travel ballers need their attitude adjusted from time to time. It happens to a lot of teams, but I'm not sure it happens to teams who end up winning national titles, and that's a little concerning. **** ETA - scratch this. All it took was a look back to Oregon State's 2018 team, who lost 2 of 3 to Utah who finished 8-22 in the Pac-12.

Have to hope Allen, Rowdy, (gulp - Hatcher maybe?), and company make them step up. I'd love to see some pitcher man up and become a dog for us too. Maybe Cerantola? Got to give him the ball, though.
 
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2007
26,006
10,156
113
It does remind me of a football game I was part of back in high school. I played for the biggest school in Alabama at the time. We had a QB who had an offer to pitch for MSU he never took, a future Mr. Football Alabama who would have played for Gene Stallings had he been smart enough to spell ACT, a nose guard who did play for UAB, and so on.

We were a 1 loss team going into the last week of the year. Playoff spot locked up. We played some 5-A school in rural bum17 Alabama. The stands on both sides of the field were old rotten 2x4s. They came into the game with zero wins. We were so checked out our coach didn't even make us watch film on them.

They kicked our butts. Why, not because they were the better team so they say. But because they came in with a must win mentality, prepared hard, and just wanted it more. We thought this was a nothing game and we would win easy. Like I said, even our coaches were checked out.

Perhaps this is what our team needed. Of course it ends our chances to win the SEC. But perhaps it wakes us up for postseason play.

I've seen this happen with many teams that were in the same spot as we were this past weekend in pretty much every sport I've followed. We should be ok. We should.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
I've seen this happen with many teams that were in the same spot as we were this past weekend in pretty much every sport I've followed. We should be ok. We should.

I was saying to a friend last Thursday that we "should" sweep. After the game yesterday, I texted him and said that I would never again say we "should" sweep an SEC series, even if the opponent is 0-27 in the SEC coming in.

I can understand to a certain degree the lack of focus we had in the first two games, but yesterday, when the series outcome was on the line, instead of tightening up the ship, we played even worse than the first two games. Just really puzzling.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
I was saying to a friend last Thursday that we "should" sweep. After the game yesterday, I texted him and said that I would never again say we "should" sweep an SEC series, even if the opponent is 0-27 in the SEC coming in.

I can understand to a certain degree the lack of focus we had in the first two games, but yesterday, when the series outcome was on the line, instead of tightening up the ship, we played even worse than the first two games. Just really puzzling.
To me, if we are talking about how we 'should' sweep an SEC opponent, we've got an attitude problem already. It's not that puzzling to me, the players probably thought exactly like our fans did. Well, we got punched in the face. You have to earn stuff in this league.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
The best team we’ve ever had in school history lost three games to Central 17ing Arkansas. This was at least an SEC series…where nobody can just expect to show up and win just based on dressing 9 players. And it’s baseball….weird **** happens sometimes.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,409
31,607
113
That UCA team was a LOT better than this Missouri team is. And that 2013 team still had a better record against it than this team did against Missouri.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
The best team we’ve ever had in school history lost three games to Central 17ing Arkansas. This was at least an SEC series…where nobody can just expect to show up and win just based on dressing 9 players. And it’s baseball….weird **** happens sometimes.

In my opinion, the best team we ever had was that 1989 team, and they didn't even make it to Omaha. But they won over 50 games, an SEC championship, and were ranked no. 1 pretty much the entire season. Just shows again what a crap shoot baseball is.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
That UCA team was a LOT better than this Missouri team is. And that 2013 team still had a better record against it than this team did against Missouri.

No the hell they were not, are you serious? They were 12-15 in their awful conference, and only made the regionals due to winning their conference tournament.
 

DoggieDaddy13

All-Conference
Dec 23, 2017
3,927
2,317
113
In my opinion, the best team we ever had was that 1989 team, and they didn't even make it to Omaha. But they won over 50 games, an SEC championship, and were ranked no. 1 pretty much the entire season. Just shows again what a crap shoot baseball is.

If that was not the best team, there were certainly no MSU baseball teams that were any better. I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about that regional.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
In my opinion, the best team we ever had was that 1989 team, and they didn't even make it to Omaha. But they won over 50 games, an SEC championship, and were ranked no. 1 pretty much the entire season. Just shows again what a crap shoot baseball is.

Did the 1989 team have 8 MLB players on it?
 

Willow Grove Dawg

All-American
Nov 3, 2016
8,392
6,066
113
1984 team was pretty damned good also and had 4 long term major leaguers, just didn’t have enough pitching to survive UNO in the regional in Starkville
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,409
31,607
113
They won 42 games, took 2 of 3 from Southern Miss, 1-0 vs Oklahoma St., and 1-0 vs South Alabama.
 
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2007
26,006
10,156
113
Point taken. The main thing is they need to play these last four regular season games a little more relaxed than they were this weekend. I could feel them putting pressure on themselves all the way out here in Austin. There's a difference between overconfident and playing loose and relaxed I hope they can figure it out.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,409
31,607
113
If you look at it, 1983 - 1985 really underachieved big time in the postseason.

1983 - 1st in SEC at 17-5, but lost in the SEC tournament and get sent to Texas regional. Only team to beat Texas in the postseason, but they come out of the losers bracket and beat us twice. Alabama, who we beat 5 out of 7 finishes runners up.

1984 - 1/2 game back of Florida at 18-5, but lose twice to a 11-12 Tennessee team in the SEC tournament. Then **** the bed in the regional.

1985 - we all know what happened in 1985.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
If you look at it, 1983 - 1985 really underachieved big time in the postseason.

1983 - 1st in SEC at 17-5, but lost in the SEC tournament and get sent to Texas regional. Only team to beat Texas in the postseason, but they come out of the losers bracket and beat us twice. Alabama, who we beat 5 out of 7 finishes runners up.

1984 - 1/2 game back of Florida at 18-5, but lose twice to a 11-12 Tennessee team in the SEC tournament. Then **** the bed in the regional.

1985 - we all know what happened in 1985.

Yeah, Gene Morgan gets hit in the ankle with a lead on the mound against Texas. Could well have cost us the NC. With a healthy Gene Morgan, we were the best team up there.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Point taken. The main thing is they need to play these last four regular season games a little more relaxed than they were this weekend. I could feel them putting pressure on themselves all the way out here in Austin. There's a difference between overconfident and playing loose and relaxed I hope they can figure it out.
Ha! Man I don't know about that, I didn't see them putting pressure on themselves. I saw them not wanting to be there.

I mean a little bit of pressure probably would have helped.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Yeah, Gene Morgan gets hit in the ankle with a lead on the mound against Texas. Could well have cost us the NC. With a healthy Gene Morgan, we were the best team up there.
I noticed something in that T&L documentary. It appears we actually got out of that inning vs. Texas, and they didn't do their damage until the next inning. Did we not have anyone to come in at that time? Were we so dependent on Brantley and Morgan to pitch complete games?
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Yeah, UCA was good that year. Dangerously close to winning our regional. If he wanted to compare a team from 2013 to Mizzou, I'd have chosen Kentucky, who beat us 2/3 and finished 11-19 in the league.
 

wsjmsu75

Junior
Sep 29, 2017
2,421
210
63
I noticed something in that T&L documentary. It appears we actually got out of that inning vs. Texas, and they didn't do their damage until the next inning. Did we not have anyone to come in at that time? Were we so dependent on Brantley and Morgan to pitch complete games?

We did not necessarily need a complete game from Morgan, but the point is that he was pitching well with a lead against them, and had been consistently good for us all year, so obviously we had a much better chance of winning that pivotal game with him than without him.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting How Kamario Taylor's success is helping Mississippi State recruit top quarterbacks
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Jett Jefferson's early impact elevating Mississippi State secondary
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Points of Focus from Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby heading into Week 5
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four