Thoughts on Harbor not participating in spring practice?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Have seen some discussion on this on Twitter after Beamer's presser, with some saying this a pretty bad thing given that he needs all the reps he can get to improve at WR. Beamer pointed out that Harbor is in the facility all the time, watches some practices and works with the QBs and WRs on his own. He showed some flashes last year. Dropped some wide open easy catches but made some catches in extremely tight windows.

Is spring ball really all that important?

For an established player like Rocket Sanders, probably not. For a developmental player like Harbor, maybe a bit more important?

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022

I'm gonna say no. If it led directly in to the fall, I might say yes but it doesn't. I mean they might get something out of it but if I had to guess, nothing more than they could get without it. Spring practice is for the fans first imo. Second would be team bonding and socializing. I'd like to thing the latter is still a thing even if the team makeup changes every year. In fact I'm sure it is. For that reason alone I hate to see guys skip it but whatever. Team doesn't exactly mean what it used to.

Last edited:

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Hopefully we are working on plays to hand off the ball to Harbor and utilize his speed in that way, if we can provide some adequate blocking.

Reactions: Mountain guy

Mr. Belvedere

Dec 29, 2023
Would you rather him be somewhere else? He came here to run track and play football. That was always the agreement. He would be doing that anywhere.. so I'd personally rather him be here and do whatever the coaches decide. If the Olympics are in the future, football will be secondary and should be.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Would you rather him be somewhere else? He came here to run track and play football. That was always the agreement. He would be doing that anywhere.. so I'd personally rather him be here and do whatever the coaches decide. If the Olympics are in the future, football will be secondary and should be.

Well, that wasn't the question.

Reactions: CAROLINA COCKTAIL

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Hopefully we are working on plays to hand off the ball to Harbor and utilize his speed in that way, if we can provide some adequate blocking.

I guess the one "knock" on Harbor is that his first step isn't that great. If you see a lot of his track highlights, he doesn't create much separation off the block but he eventually creates separation. Once he's going he's probably the fastest player on the field. That said, he would not be going against track stars in college football, so he may be more than fast enough to create separation to make handoffs a viable option.

Reactions: AngloCock

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
He is hurting both sports by not picking a lane.
If he stays Track focused, he will restrict weight gain and limit his strength capacity.
If he comes to football, he will gain weight and lose even more of that first step in track. Love the kid's physical skills but think he needs to specialize.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

I'm gonna say no. If it led directly in to the fall, I might say yes but it doesn't. I mean they might get something out of it but if I had to guess, nothing more than they could get without it. Spring practice is for the fans first imo. Second would be team bonding and socializing. I'd like to thing the latter is still a thing even if the team makeup changes every year. In fact I'm sure it is. For that reason alone I hate to see guys skip it but whatever. Team doesn't exactly mean what it used to.

I tend to agree, but Harbor's situation is different. For one, he didn't play WR in high school, so he's trying to learn a brand new position in college, which is a tall task. On top of that, he's not a dedicated football player. Just seems like he can use all the reps learning the WR position that he can get.

Reactions: Blues man

Big JC

May 12, 2023

If Spring practice wasn't important early enrollees wouldn't be so valuable. Not participating in Spring practice means Harbor will go from late November until early August without any real organized football in a full team environment.

I don't think Harbor's heart is in football and I really question whether or not he wants to put in the time and work to be a WR. D1 college football today is not the place to learn a position.

Guy in the Back

Jan 22, 2022
In the long run, I don’t think it makes a difference. I do not think route running was the issue. He can get in front of a jugs machine to improve his hands. The only bad thing is that it takes reps away from him and Norris. May hurt the timing between the two.

Taco73

Feb 6, 2022
Have seen some discussion on this on Twitter after Beamer's presser, with some saying this a pretty bad thing given that he needs all the reps he can get to improve at WR. Beamer pointed out that Harbor is in the facility all the time, watches some practices and works with the QBs and WRs on his own. He showed some flashes last year. Dropped some wide open easy catches but made some catches in extremely tight windows.

For an established player like Rocket Sanders, probably not. For a developmental player like Harbor, maybe a bit more important?
It's always important but I would lower expectations on this kid in Football. Track was always going to be out front.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
I do believe that spring practice is important. Especially for those who NEED the coaching and the drills and the reps. As many freshmen and bench players do.

Spring practice would likely benefit Harbor, but alas, he isn't getting it. So the result will probably be that he doesn't develop to the fullest of his potential. Just something we have to live with.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
If Spring practice wasn't important early enrollees wouldn't be so valuable. Not participating in Spring practice means Harbor will go from late November until early August without any real organized football in a full team environment.

I don't think Harbor's heart is in football and I really question whether or not he wants to put in the time and work to be a WR. D1 college football today is not the place to learn a position.
Coaches will always be impatient when it come to get their paws of a player for the first time. I would imagine getting in enrolled at the earliest possible time is also a huge load off of the coaches shoulders as well when they do get moved in. And I would agree that it is important for most of the players that want to be seen get seen. That said, not sure how much they actually get out of it other than like I said, just being with the team. If a guy did miss it for whatever reason, I'm sure it can be made up tho.

HI Cock1

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Jan 22, 2022
Dude is trying to qualify for the Olympics. We should give him every opportunity to represent our country as a Gamecock.

So yeah, this year's spring ball isn't as important as that. If he makes the Olympics that'll definitely hurt his football season, but the payoff would be worth it.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I don't want to go too far afield here, but this has been on my mind the past few days. Nothing I have seen, heard, or know, inclines me to believe that this year will be any better than last year. And before anybody pounces on the tougher schedule, I would have said the same thing were we playing last year's schedule all over again again. I'll believe we're stuck until proven incorrect.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
He came here to play football and run track. Football is a fall sport and track is a spring sport. I don't think it's surprising at all that he isn't participating in spring football. That was baked into the cake when he came here. Participating in spring football couldn't do anything but hurt his track performance.

Having said that, as a football player who needs to develop into his position, I'm sure not participating in spring football hurts him in that development. But as Spurrier would say, it is what it is.

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Wait for it; come Sept/Oct/Nov when many of us are again lamenting that Harbor isn’t getting balls thrown his way/isn’t being utilized, we’ll again hear, “he’s still learning a new position”. I feel like he could really use this spring to get better as a WR, but I also feel like track is where his heart is. Sigh…. Overall though, I’m glad that he chose to be a Gamecock.

Last edited:

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Wait for it; come Sept/Oct/Nov when many of us are again lamenting that Harbor isn’t getting balls thrown his way/isn’t being utilized, well again hear, “he’s still learning a new position”. I feel like he could really use this spring to get better as a WR, but I also feel like track is where his heart is. Sigh…. Overall though, I’m glad that he chose to be a Gamecock.
The reality since day one of his commitment was that he chose Carolina because Beamer agreed to let him come in and learn to be a WR AND run track, which is his first love obviously. Harbor was a 5 star based on physical tools only. He had never played the position he was listed as a 5 star prospect for, think about that for a minute.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
None of us knows what kind of deal was reached and whether Nyck came here only b/c we agreed to let him do track. It's presumed. And he probably wouldn't have come here if we said he couldn't do track, but that may not be the only reason he came. But,. chatting with a friend at church last night and I said "typical for us. one our most hyped recruits ever, and he's not even a full-time football player."

I agree with @92Pony that he could use as much time as possible learning the position.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
None of us knows what kind of deal was reached and whether Nyck came here only b/c we agreed to let him do track. It's presumed. And he probably wouldn't have come here if we said he couldn't do track, but that may not be the only reason he came. But,. chatting with a friend at church last night and I said "typical for us. one our most hyped recruits ever, and he's not even a full-time football player."

I agree with @92Pony that he could use as much time as possible learning the position.
Beamer may have fallen into the Jimbo Fisher trap of focusing on the star ranking and not really looking at the actual player.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Beamer may have fallen into the Jimbo Fisher trap of focusing on the star ranking and not really looking at the actual player.

It was definitely a swing and a miss in the character department. But you can't always tell.

EDIT: Wrong thread. Thought I was posting in the Antwane thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92Pony

Big JC

May 12, 2023
It was definitely a swing and a miss in the character department. But you can't always tell.
I'm not sure character is an issue. Harbor was honest about what he wanted and Beamer probably hoped the WR thing would work out and liked the idea of signing a 5 star. Harbor may still end up being a good WR but I have my doubts if he'll be a difference maker.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm not sure character is an issue. Harbor was honest about what he wanted and Beamer probably hoped the WR thing would work out and liked the idea of signing a 5 star. Harbor may still end up being a good WR but I have my doubts if he'll be a difference maker.

Oops, my bad!!! I thought this was the Antwane thread :ROFLMAO:

No, no character issues with Harbor!

Reactions: 92Pony

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I think spring ball can be VERY important, and he's one of the ones it would be more important for.

He's still learning how to play WR, and weeks of practice doing just that with the new qb would go a long way.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think spring ball can be VERY important, and he's one of the ones it would be more important for.

He's still learning how to play WR, and weeks of practice doing just that with the new qb would go a long way.

Yeah, the new QB aspect is a major factor. Player still trying to learn WR and a new QB need as many reps together as they can get. Can count on a few weeks in the preseason to do the trick.

Reactions: Lurker123

Mountain guy

Jun 14, 2023
Adequate blocking is the key imo for Harbor especially. I don't think, and rightfully so, that he wants to have any part of running the ball and having the chance of his knees being taken out.

Mr. Belvedere

Dec 29, 2023

We have an elite track program with proven olympic participation.. maybe it wasn't the question but still, would we rather him be somewhere else?

Reactions: Gamecock72

Dutch Cock

Joined Nov 14, 2005
Jan 17, 2022
I would think that was part of the deal on him committing here, he gets the spring to do his track thing, otherwise he probably would have gone to a school that allows that.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This statement from Beamer was interesting. I'm sure it's not how he meant it: "So, he wants to give his all to track and be the very best he can be there for those guys, but then he also wants to be his very best for football and give everything he can to football also.”

Big JC

May 12, 2023
We have an elite track program with proven olympic participation.. maybe it wasn't the question but still, would we rather him be somewhere else?
Our track and field program routinely finishes near the bottom of the conference. I'm not sure "elite" is the word I would use to describe it.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
No issues, in today's world, if this keeps him happy and staying at USC and Staffs have worked it out and approved. I see no issues.

Reactions: Jaykid28

uscjunkie

Jan 27, 2022
If he struggles again this year, you can bet he will catch hell on here and from the fan base in general!

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I would think he doesn't really care about what the Carolina fans think and I am close to 100% certain he doesn't look at this forum.

Agree completely. But I think the point stands, if he struggles this year, a lot of the blame will be laid at the feet of him being a part time player.

Heck, if he does awesome, we'll also have people talking about how much better he could be if he was solely dedicated to football.

Flowmaster

Mar 31, 2024

We just have to accept this is the arrangement that was made for Mr Harbor,time will tell how good a Football player he can become, He is fast but isn’t elusive,he has trouble getting separation sometimes off the line,I think he will be a contributor,how significant remains to be seen

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
I

d rather see us use the scholarship for a 4• WR than a 5• track athlete that MIGHT be a WR prospect.

Flowmaster

Mar 31, 2024
I wish people would realize it was all Coach Stepp fault it was hard to recruit for the offense he had under Satterfield

uscjunkie

Jan 27, 2022
I would think he doesn't really care about what the Carolina fans think and I am close to 100% certain he doesn't look at this forum.
I bet he is all over social media though and will hear it from all sides! Whether he cares or not is irrelevant! Besides, how often do track guys amount to anything on the football field anyway! He should have been on the defensive line but refused to bulk up because of track.

Latest posts