Time to move the Egg Bowl from Thanksgiving

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
As a long-time season ticket holder, I concur, move it ti Friday. I doubt the SEC/ESPN will let us move it though (without a suitable replacement).

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
View attachment 271531
UPig-Mizzou had 1Million more viewers than The Battle for the Golden Egg.
And most of those eyeballs most likely are due to the St Louis tv market. We aren’t going to magically gain more viewers by moving to Friday or Saturday against other college games.

Sure, our fans can ***** about the game logistically being on Thanksgiving as a bad thing but this proves nothing as far as a reason to move it. These ratings are probably the best we are going to get.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Dang.. the Apple Cup had better ratings. So much for that “national brand” UM fans keep claiming.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Thursday night used to be a prime spot for college football and there were a lot of good Thursday night games. But the NFL had to ruin that by putting a game on Thursday to make sure they got those eyeballs and ad revenue. So now, just about all the Thursday night games are crap Group of 5 games. You’re not going to win a ratings battle with the NFL.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I suspect that is a pretty good rating considering there were 3 good NFL games on Thursday. There is only so much football that can be watched with all the turkey eating and napping going on.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
A prime time Friday night Egg Bowl would get big ratings. Look at Florida-FSU. They were the only football game on in that time slot and the ratings were huge. We were going up against an entertaining NFL game and the ratings reflected that.

ETA: The Arkansas-Missouri game was also on CBS, a broadcast network, while the Egg Bowl was on ESPN. That probably accounted for some of the difference, but not all.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
More viewers than GA/GA tech. GA is #1 in the Nation and Atlanta is 10th largest TV market. Not to mention just the gross population difference between GA and MS.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I know not all the fans of the different schools live in the respective home state But Florida has 22 million people in it. Arkansas has 3 million and Missouri has 6 million (That is 9 Million). Mississippi has 2.9 million. UF v FSU had 6.7 million viewers 30 % of population. Ark v Mizz had 3.27 million viewers which is 36% of the population. Egg Bowl had 2.23 million which is 77% of the population.

Not sure you are ever going to get better numbers unless it is somehow the only game on, which at one point it was.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
It ruins thanksgiving. Even not going to the game it ruins thanksgiving. We travel within the State for lunch with extended family. Having to rush lunch then drive back home to watch game with closer family and friends is terrible on the person doing all the driving and preparing for game.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
That has my vote but it has nothing to do with TV ratings. It is so I can go to the game.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I agree that the one positive is no longer there and therefore the game should be moved to Saturday. I will ask, do we get any additional monies for playing on Thanksgiving? Or is it part of the existing ESPN contract?

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I like it on Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving lunch then to the game. With the game over, I’m able to be at the camp with my family again on Saturday where we can watch the other games and blast furry woodland creatures. It’s great.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
The Dallas game that was on opposite the Egg Bowl claimed the largest crowd to ever watch a regular season NFL game(42M). It is hard to compete with that but I still enjoy our game on Thanksgiving. It gives the die hard college football fans something to tune into. Personally, I believe our numbers would drop if we moved it to Saturday. I just hate that the NFL has expanded to 3 games that day. We would have had larger numbers if our game was on earlier in the day.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
More viewers than GA/GA tech. GA is #1 in the Nation and Atlanta is 10th largest TV market. Not to mention just the gross population difference between GA and MS.
That game was on at the same time as Ohio State / Michigan. Most people would rather watch the competitive game with playoff implications than watch a sleep walking UGA team lean on GT until they break.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
The Dallas game that was on opposite the Egg Bowl claimed the largest crowd to ever watch a regular season NFL game(42M). It is hard to compete with that but I still enjoy our game on Thanksgiving. It gives the die hard college football fans something to tune into. Personally, I believe our numbers would drop if we moved it to Saturday. I just hate that the NFL has expanded to 3 games that day. We would have had larger numbers if our game was on earlier in the day.
That game was not opposite ours.
Now it did end after our game started but not by much.
We were opposite the Vikings and Patriots but still going up against a NFL game with 2 good brands is difficult.
I’d like to see us Friday at 2:30 for a while or even Friday at 6:00 PM

Reactions: HRMSU

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
I am all for moving it after being at last yrs game. Nothing really open and after the game absolutely nothing open. If you are from out of town(3 states over) that does not work. Note that USC Clemson had the Saturday 12 pm start and had basically the same viewership

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And most of those eyeballs most likely are due to the St Louis tv market. We aren’t going to magically gain more viewers by moving to Friday or Saturday against other college games.

Sure, our fans can ***** about the game logistically being on Thanksgiving as a bad thing but this proves nothing as far as a reason to move it. These ratings are probably the best we are going to get.
I doubt it. That was a Friday game on a broadcast network. We wouldn't gain more viewers by moving to Saturday, but I'm guessing we probably would by moving it to Friday? But it's really irrelevant to us.

As people have noted, when the Thursday night game was the only game in town, that was a nice chance to get national exposure. Being on Friday with limited competition might be some exposure, but I'm not sure it's really enough to matter. We get national exposure by being good. The TV Gods are going to dictate the timeslot to us, but to the extent they allow us to have any input, we just need to push for what's best for our fans. I think that's probably Saturday although I like the Thursday night game personally. And if we can have a trend where Ole Miss plays Arkansas the Saturday before and we have an FCS game, the Thursday timeslot would really be outstanding.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I am all for moving it after being at last yrs game. Nothing really open and after the game absolutely nothing open. If you are from out of town(3 states over) that does not work. Note that USC Clemson had the Saturday 12 pm start and had basically the same viewership
Was also on broadcast TV versus cable. ABC is in over 100m homes, while ESPN is only in about 75m

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
Friday would be bad due to high school playoffs. Starkville was playing along with Tupelo, Brandon and others who I'm sure had folks who were either at the Egg Bowl or watched. Those folks would have to miss going to the game and what if Starkville or Oxford was hosting a playoff game and the Egg Bowl was on Friday at 6 on either campus? It's either move to Saturday or leave it on Thursday night. I would like it moved to Saturday since family obligations keep me from attending with it on Thanksgiving.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
We usually get to the game if it's in Starkville. It can be a hassle. But, if we win, I don't care about the hassle and I enjoy the rest of the Thanksgiving break.
If we lose, it 17s up the the holiday season and the entire year.
Won't go to the game in Oxford. I enjoy watching it on the telly. If we lose in Oxford, I can deal with it a bit better for some reason.
If we win like we did this year, the Thanksgiving break and the holiday season are GREAT. So is the rest of the year. The Egg Bowl has become a Thanksgiving tradition,
And we're kidding ourselves that our ratings would somehow be any better during any other time slot. We would have to be the only game on to do much better than a 1. - or we'd both need to be ranked and playing for a spot in Atlanta.
And you never want OM to have a shot at Atlanta. NEVER.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter