Tomorrow's the big day for ACC

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Schools have to notify the league by 8/15 if they intend to leave the conference, otherwise they are obligated to stay through 2015.

EDIT: 2025, not 2015...special thanks to @Harvard Gamecock!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Stardust710

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Schools have to notify the league by 8/15 if they intend to leave the conference, otherwise they are obligated to stay through 2015.

I don't think anyone is expecting anything this summer anymore, are they?

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Live shot of FSU right now...

streaking will ferrell GIF

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't think anyone is expecting anything this summer anymore, are they?

Things certainly seem to have stalled. Sounds like Clemson, FSU, UNC and NC State successfully blocked expansion, but they are contractually obligated to stay in the league for the 2015 season if they don't notify the league by tomorrow. With how crazy all this expansion stuff has been, though, folks will be waiting with bated breath tomorrow to see if there's some last-minute development. The Pac-12 went from dead to miraculously saved to dead again in the span of about 12 hours, so there's no telling how this stuff will go.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Things certainly seem to have stalled. Sounds like Clemson, FSU, UNC and NC State successfully blocked expansion, but they are contractually obligated to stay in the league for the 2015 season if they don't notify the league by tomorrow. With how crazy all this expansion stuff has been, though, folks will be waiting with bated breath tomorrow to see if there's some last-minute development. The Pac-12 went from dead to miraculously saved to dead again in the span of about 12 hours, so there's no telling how this stuff will go.

I did really enjoy those couple days of the PAC 12 swinging wildly from intact to dead.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I know you meant 2025.
So that is correct, if any school has intention of leaving before the 2025 season, tomorrow would be the deadline to make such notice known.
I highly suspect we will not see such notice tomorrow, but will indeed have several schools announce their intentions by this time next year, or sooner for 2026 departure.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I know you meant 2025.
So that is correct, if any school has intention of leaving before the 2025 season, tomorrow would be the deadline to make such notice known.
I highly suspect we will not see such notice tomorrow, but will indeed have several schools announce their intentions by this time next year, or sooner for 2026 departure.

Ha, wow, yeah. Put 2015 twice. Sheesh.

I agree. I would not expect any such big announcement tomorrow. We haven't really any substantive ACC news since last Wednesday, so things seem to have simmered down.

Last edited:

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Ha, wow, yeah. Put 2015 twice. Sheesh.

I agree. I would not expect any such big announcement tomorrow. We haven't really any substantive ACC news since last Wednesday, so things seem to have simmered down.
Or, some schools are preferring to use much more discretion than say FSU.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Or, some schools are preferring to use much more discretion than say FSU.

It would be hard to use less discretion than FSU has. It would be interesting to see tomorrow if other schools have been working on things behind the scenes and make an announcement. In the world of college football in 2024, who knows?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Where is FSU's landing spot? Even if the Big 10 was to relax their academic criteria, being in a conference where 90% of the members are a region or two away is not helpful to recruiting and might even hurt it. I don't know what FSU's end game could be.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Where is FSU's landing spot? Even if the Big 10 was to relax their academic criteria, being in a conference where 90% of the members are a region or two away is not helpful to recruiting and might even hurt it. I don't know what FSU's end game could be.
I think you answered your own question. Ain't none.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I think you answered your own question. Ain't none.
I think it was you that said they got some concessions from the ACC on revenue sharing to where they would get $50-55 million. a year. To me, that sounds like a good deal and should keep them competitive. And they get an advantageous ACC conference schedule to give them great shots at making the playoffs every year. Of course, greed knows no limit, I guess.

Reactions: Backyard Archer

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I think it was you that said they got some concessions from the ACC on revenue sharing to where they would get $50-55 million. a year. To me, that sounds like a good deal and should keep them competitive. Of course, greed knows no limit, I guess.
Yeah. They'll keep screaming bc it's still not SEC money, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. But they'll take it.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The easy answer is: they don't have one. They blustered at their meeting a couple weeks ago that the GOR was the least of their concerns. If that's the case AND they had a landing spot, there's no reason for them to be carrying about revenue. They'd just announce that they are leaving. The most likely scenario is the most obvious scenario which is that the GOR is proving to be an insurmountable obstacle AND they don't have a landing spot.

GOR still has 13 years left. They could probably negotiate the numbers down to get out a few years early since the ACC would rather get something out of it financially instead of just letting them leave scot-free once the deal is up. But not with 13 years left. That's just too long to negotiate.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
FSU, in the ACC, will have an easy shot to the playoffs every year in the ACC. I don't like that. But, it is what it is. And they will have that advantage over the Gators no matter how much more TV money the Gators get.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
FSU, in the ACC, will have an easy shot to the playoffs every year in the ACC. I don't like that. But, it is what it is. And they will have that advantage over the Gators no matter how much more TV money the Gators get.

And THAT is probably why you aren't getting anything more than hot air from FSU. They are excited to appear to on the upswing under Norvell, but they are smart enough to know they won't sniff the playoffs in the SEC or Big 10, or would only get there with a much lower seed. Some from the ACC is getting a pretty smooth path to the playoffs most year. Enter the SEC or Big 10 and that changes drastically.

So they are having to weigh which is more important: more revenue in another conference or getting back to championship-level football.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
FSU likes the cushy’ schedule which is why they chose the ACC years ago. Clemson is probably the same. Fans have grown bored with it though. Yea, I’d like to see FSU and maybe one or two others jump to the SEC.
Let’s go Clemson, get out if that sleepy league!

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
FSU likes the cushy’ schedule which is why they chose the ACC years ago. Clemson is probably the same. Fans have grown bored with it though. Yea, I’d like to see FSU and maybe one or two others jump to the SEC.
Let’s go Clemson, get out if that sleepy league!

It makes the most sense for the rivalry, especially once we move to a 9-game conference schedule.

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
I'm not going to advocate keeping the tigs out of the conference. Bring 'em in. I would advocate having them as the 9th conference game played the last game of the regular season. Also, I want to see how they handle the transition long term.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
A little surprised at UNC's role in this, if only because of their academic pretenses.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
FSU isn't doing itself any favors with their temper tantrums.
Honestly, I don't see where they are hurting themselves, either. I just don't think it matters much how they cry. It's not like the ACC is going to kick them out for it.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I would not make too much of the news, if there is not an announcement made tomorrow. All it will mean is that all schools will remain in the conference till the end of 2024.
For one school in particular their timetable still remains 2026.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Honestly, I don't see where they are hurting themselves, either. I just don't think it matters much how they cry. It's not like the ACC is going to kick them out for it.
Just saying, not a good look for a program allegedly looking for a place to land. It's bound to rub someone the wrong way.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I'm going with 2030.
The entities that are underwriting all the broadcasts, and are directly or indirectly depending on one's viewpoint for all this realignment FOX,NBC,ESPN, are not going to wait another 7 years. They will push their partners SEC,B1G and B1G 12 to pick apart the ACC to add (and I'm using their terminology here) "VALUE" to the product. Bottom line, it is not to their benefit to have a ACC conference any longer.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Florida State has not scheduled a Board of Regents meeting for Tuesday, the deadline to notify the ACC if a team is leaving before 2024 season. FSU's board must approve any membership change. So......

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
The entities that are underwriting all the broadcasts, and are directly or indirectly depending on one's viewpoint for all this realignment FOX,NBC,ESPN, are not going to wait another 7 years. They will push their partners SEC,B1G and B1G 12 to pick apart the ACC to add (and I'm using their terminology here) "VALUE" to the product. Bottom line, it is not to their benefit to have a ACC conference any longer.

We’ll see. ESPN needs the ACC to hang on as long as possible. Your last sentence is disproven by the fact that ESPN gave the b12 a deal. In its current form, the ACC is still a bette fleshier than the b12.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
We’ll see. ESPN needs the ACC to hang on as long as possible. Your last sentence is disproven by the fact that ESPN gave the b12 a deal. In its current form, the ACC is still a bette fleshier than the b12.
No, there is NO NEED.
Again, No it is not.