Tracking PSU Verbals through the 2023 Postseason

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
PA state brackets are out (unofficial, but only changes will be if any withdrawals):

Our guys:

Wentzel: I was wrong about his draw -- Harer got the 3 seed because another freshman won NW Regionals. Wentzel gets Botero in Round 2. He beat Botero 4-2 last year, so this is doable.

Nasdeo got the 1 seed as expected. He has a very navigable path to the finals, where he'll likely face 3 seed Mason Ziegler (Quakertown) or possibly 2 seed Dean Houser (Daniel Boone).

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
PA state brackets are out (unofficial, but only changes will be if any withdrawals):

Our guys:

Wentzel: I was wrong about his draw -- Harer got the 3 seed because another freshman won NW Regionals. Wentzel gets Botero in Round 2. He beat Botero 4-2 last year, so this is doable.

Nasdeo got the 1 seed as expected. He has a very navigable path to the finals, where he'll likely face 3 seed Mason Ziegler (Quakertown) or possibly 2 seed Dean Houser (Daniel Boone).

Have Ziegler and Nasdeo met before? Ziegler is pretty good. Would like to see those 2 go at it.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I've updated the OP to reflect the results of the March 3, 4, & 5 weekend. I've also added the R1 opponents for those in action March 9, 10, & 11.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
They haven't, at least not in the regular season. I think that's the likely state final, and should be an excellent match.
Jefe, what's your opinion as to whether or not Nasdeo contributes next year? Looking for some sliver of hope for 125.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Jefe, what's your opinion as to whether or not Nasdeo contributes next year? Looking for some sliver of hope for 125.
Robert Howard is hands down our best 125. If he's not healthy, Davis probably starts as a true freshman.

Nasdeo's eventual upside is probably Ball or Bearclaw. As far as next year goes, he's a HS 121, so he needs to add muscle to become a college 125.

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
Robert Howard is hands down our best 125. If he's not healthy, Davis probably starts as a true freshman.

Nasdeo's eventual upside is probably Ball or Bearclaw. As far as next year goes, he's a HS 121, so he needs to add muscle to become a college 125.
Thanks. I'm banking on Howard staying healthy. Good to hear that Davis is an option. I wasn't sure about the weight cut.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Thanks. I'm banking on Howard staying healthy. Good to hear that Davis is an option. I wasn't sure about the weight cut.
Davis wrestled 132 this year, but will go 127 at Dapper Dan.

It's a little guesswork -- Dapper Dan has a generous weight allowance (they don't want kids missing weight in a postseason exhibition, the day after the banquet).

Also we don't know what Davis' weight really is. Michigan has different weight classes than the rest of the country. And maybe he's up a weight for the challenge (like Zain, Mouse, and Carter all did).

If Davis wrestles this postseason (Fargo, Cadet/JR trials, etc.), then we'll have a better idea.

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
Davis wrestled 132 this year, but will go 127 at Dapper Dan.

It's a little guesswork -- Dapper Dan has a generous weight allowance (they don't want kids missing weight in a postseason exhibition, the day after the banquet).

Also we don't know what Davis' weight really is. Michigan has different weight classes than the rest of the country. And maybe he's up a weight for the challenge (like Zain, Mouse, and Carter all did).

If Davis wrestles this postseason (Fargo, Cadet/JR trials, etc.), then we'll have a better idea.
This makes me feel better, especially after I went back and read some comments about Nasdeo on another site. I think some of those were yours.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Action the weekend of March 9, 10, & 11

Three PSU verbals are in the PA States. We'll track their results at States in this thread, and update the OP either at the end of each day, or at the end of the weekend.

Cael Nasdeo (Williamsport HS, PA)
1. He's wrestling 121
2. The PIAA Class AAA States are on March 9, 10, & 11
3. In R1 he has a bye.
4. In R2 he pinned Simon Zamudio (Hazleton Area) @ 0:37
5. In R3 (Quarters) he MAJored James Garcia (Wilson West Lawn), 13-1
6. In R4 (Semis) he DEC Marco Tocci (Warwick), 7-1
7. In the Final, he DEC Mason Ziegler (Quakertown), 4-0 to take 1st place

Branden Wentzel (Montoursville HS, PA)
1. He's wrestling 121
2. The PIAA Class AA States are on March 9, 10, & 11
3. In R1 he pinned Jack Kazalas (Quaker Valley) @ 5:48
4. in R2 (Quarters) he lost by DEC to Gauge Botero (Faith Christian Academy), 1-0
5. In Consolations R3, he MAJored Jackson Rush (West Perry), 11-3
6. In Consolations R4, he DEC Max Wirnsberger (Meadowbrook Christian), 4-3, TB2
7. In the Consolation Semis, he DEC Lucas Fye (Bald Eagle Area), 13-7
8. In the 3rd Place match, he DEC Hudson Hohman (Grove City), 9-5 to take 3rd place

Dalton Perry (Central Mountain HS, PA - 2025 Verbal)
1. He's wrestling 139
2. The PIAA Class AAA States are on March 9, 10, & 11
3. In R2 he pinned Gavin Reynolds (Central Dauphin) @ 0:41
4. In R3 (Quarters) he DEC Eli Carr (Hempfield Area), 3-1
5. In R4 (Semis) he lost by DEC to Kollin Rath (Bethlehem Catholic), 3-1
6. In Consolation Semis, he DEC Connor Saylor (Hickory), 7-0
7. In the 3rd Place match, he won by forfeit over Eli Carr (Hempfield Area) to take 3rd place

Last edited:

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021

I thought Nasdeo was more like a Bearclaw caliber until this year. Now I am leaning more like a heinselman from Ohio State. Take his lumps the first 2 years, then maybe grow into a blood round/low AA caliber.

Reactions: Tgar

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Branden Wentzel (Montoursville HS, PA)
1. He's wrestling 121
2. The PIAA Class AA States are on March 9, 10, & 11
3. In R1 he pinned Jack Kazalas (Quaker Valley) @ 5:48
4. in R2 (Quarters) he'll face Gauge Botero (Faith Christian Academy)
This is the match to watch for Wentzel. Winner will make the finals, loser will finish 3rd.

Wentzel beat Botero 4-2 last year, though Botero is much improved.

Reactions: headlock

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I thought Nasdeo was more like a Bearclaw caliber until this year. Now I am leaning more like a heinselman from Ohio State. Take his lumps the first 2 years, then maybe grow into a blood round/low AA caliber.
Let's see how he does this weekend, at Dapper Dan, and if he does any postseason events like Fargo.

Heinselman was better at this stage -- was a 3x world team member and 4x Fargo champ. (IIRC Nasdeo has not placed at Fargo.) He was also lighter than Nasdeo is now.

Reactions: WV lion

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The "Action the weekend of March 9, 10, & 11" post has been updated to reflect all of the action thru Friday, March 10.

On Saturday (3/11) Branden Wentzel will be wrestling for 3rd place in AA, while Cael Nasdeo and Dalton Perry are wrestling in the AAA Semis, which will dictate whether they are in the later finals or in the later placement matches.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Rath beat Perry again, 3-1.

We really should be watching Rath. Right now the best PA wrestler in the SO class. Insane hit list of state/national preps champs and finalists he has beaten this year.

EDIT to add the list of Rath's state/preps finalist victims this year:
- PA: champ Perry (2x), champ Manville, and 2x champ Church (up a weight at 145)
- NJ: 2x champ Vazquez, runner-up Alejandro
- OH: champ Ayoub (2x), runner-up Ginter
- National Preps: 2x champ Rivera, 1x champ/2x runner-up Barnhart
- other: 2x TN champ/Fargo AA Mason (2x), WV champ Martin, 2x New England champ Bouyssou

Last edited:

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I didn't see it, but apparently Ohio State commit Kaedyn Williams was wearing PSU gear while warming up with PSU wrestler Will Betancourt.

Williams then blew a very late 3-pt lead and lost his semi.

Gronky

Nov 10, 2021
Are Rath & Perry both takes from the SOPH class or is one or the other? It feels like PSU may have the lesser commit of the two right now? I guess it depends on the college weight projections.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Are Rath & Perry both takes from the SOPH class or is one or the other? It feels like PSU may have the lesser commit of the two right now? I guess it depends on the college weight projections.
I don't think it'll be an either/or. It's more of whether or not we can actually land both.

We'll likely retain Perry regardless. Proximity, familiarity, mom works for the university ... Talent says he should be in high demand, but I'd be surprised if college coaches try very hard to pry him away.

Rath will be in ultra high demand nationally, plus he supposedly has family ties to Lehigh. I suspect he'll grow a little more than Perry, though no real good guess what their college weights will be.

Gronky

Nov 10, 2021
Thanks for the insights! I've watched Rath a bunch & he seems perfectly suite for PSU. He comes up big in big-time matches & he is always on his offense, with a great gas tank! Kasak is the first of what will hopefully be a BECA to PSU pipeline!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
After this morning's action of PSU verbals at PA States, we have:

- Branden Wentzel (Montoursville HS, PA) wrestling for 3rd place in Class AA @ 121
- Cael Nasdeo (Williamsport HS, PA) wrestling in the Championship in Class AAA @ 121
- Dalton Perry (Central Mountain HS, PA - 2025 Verbal) wrestling for 3rd place in Class AAA @ 139

The Class AA Finals & 3rd, 5th, and 7th place matches take place at 2 pm EST.

The Class AAA Finals & 3rd, 5th, and 7th place matches take place at 7 pm EST.

For both of the above, the time listed is when they start the matches. They have to work through all the weight classes, so I can't give you a specific time for the matches of the aforementioned PSU verbals.

Reactions: Gronky

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Also, I never quite know how to handle the Cunningham boys.

Hayden Cunningham is a senior. He'll be in the 5th place match in Class AAA @ 127

Asher Cunningham is a sophomore. He'll be in the 3rd place match in Class AAA @ 145

Charles Brown

Jan 5, 2022
Also, I never quite know how to handle the Cunningham boys.

Hayden Cunningham is a senior. He'll be in the 5th place match in Class AAA @ 127

Asher Cunningham is a sophomore. He'll be in the 3rd place match in Class AAA @ 145
I assume they'll end up at Penn State, was wondering how they were doing

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I didn't see it, but apparently Ohio State commit Kaedyn Williams was wearing PSU gear while warming up with PSU wrestler Will Betancourt.

Williams then blew a very late 3-pt lead and lost his semi.
That would be a very interesting turn of events, but I’m not expecting it. Nathan Desmond would be my choice personally, but I trust Cael to make that decision.

Reactions: Garw and El_Jefe

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
That would be a very interesting turn of events, but I’m not expecting it. Nathan Desmond would be my choice personally, but I trust Cael to make that decision.
Agreed -- though I'm getting the sense that the Williams twins' verbal to Tan Tom was merely following Betancourt, and now they're (unannounced) free agents if not outright following Betancourt to PSU.

Long way of saying: I think they're headed our way, on the cheap, and Cael will continue recruiting lightweights.

Love Desmond as a prospect. And he's an M2 guy. I think to an extent it will depend on (1) his weight vs. Bassett's; (2) if we get Lilledahl; (3) if Howard wants and gets an extra year.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Agreed -- though I'm getting the sense that the Williams twins' verbal to Tan Tom was merely following Betancourt, and now they're (unannounced) free agents if not outright following Betancourt to PSU.

Long way of saying: I think they're headed our way, on the cheap, and Cael will continue recruiting lightweights.

Love Desmond as a prospect. And he's an M2 guy. I think to an extent it will depend on (1) his weight vs. Bassett's; (2) if we get Lilledahl; (3) if Howard wants and gets an extra year.
I agree with everything you said here. Good perspective. Lilledahl is the top choice, I would assume, and having spent the summer training with Kasak, Sealey, and Ryder, and going to Rome with them, I’m thinking the connection with those guys certainly can’t hurt PSU’s efforts.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I agree with everything you said here. Good perspective. Lilledahl is the top choice, I would assume, and having spent the summer training with Kasak, Sealey, and Ryder, and going to Rome with them, I’m thinking the connection with those guys certainly can’t hurt PSU’s efforts.
Certainly can't hurt.

Lilledahl has not published a school list, so it's hard to tell what he's thinking. A lot of the prep guys go Ivy (and that's why they go preps). Also, he's originally from STL -- followed his coach to Seminary. Maybe he wants to go back to the midwest for college? Hard to say without any evidence.

In terms of PSU's interest -- from a talent perspective, yes, absolutely. I don't know what kind of offer Cael can give him. We've already landed so many high-end guys in 2024 ...

Latest posts