DME Sports Academy (Daytona Beach) 2017-2018
MRA Ridgeland 2018-2019
Florence MS 2019-2020

2020-2021 @ UT Martin
2021-2022 @ Co-Lin
2022-2023 @ Howard College
2023-2024 @ MSU
2024-2025 @ ?????????

It's not hard to see a pattern here and this is what's wrong w/ sports today, no accountability whatsoever, just move on when the going gets tough

Last edited:

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
UT-Martin - Co-Lin - Howard College - Mississippi State - ???. Man, I just love college sports and the portal.
Transfers have been rampant in college basketball for well over a decade, which is not surprising because it starts in HS and AAU ball. Remember Eli Wright? He went to something like four high schools in 2 years and that mobility didn’t stop at the college level (MSU, St John’s, WKU, etc).

Now granted the numbers have risen but this is not a new thing.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
MRA Ridgeland 2018-2019
Florence MS 2019-2020

2020-2021 @ UT Martin
2021-2022 @ Co-Lin
2023-2024 @ MSU
2024-2025 @ ?????????

It's not hard to see a pattern here and this is what's wrong w/ sports today, no accountability whatsoever, just move on when the going gets tough
Where should the accountability come from?
The fans? The same ones that turned on Will Rogers and Tolu Smith?
The coaches? Like our head coach that went to go work for our rival, or the other one that left our best roster in years for a lateral move?
Athletic Directors? Like the two that were alumni and left us for conference opponents?

This is all I need to know about how the players should be the ones that are loyal.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The coaches? Like our head coach that went to go work for our rival, or the other one that left our best roster in years for a lateral move?
Athletic Directors? Like the two that were alumni and left us for conference opponents?

This is all I need to know about how the players should be the ones that are loyal.

Exactly.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

They all being paid. Difference coaches have contracts and buyouts. Me as a fan, I'm not on contract. I'm alumni, I paid my dues as a student. I'm a member of the bulldog club and put in money there.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
They all being paid. Difference coaches have contracts and buyouts. Me as a fan, I'm not on contract. I'm alumni, I paid my dues as a student. I'm a member of the bulldog club and put in money there.
I guess that makes it better? We are paying Zach Arnett the difference between his salary at OM and 1.5 million dollars to scheme against us in November. So your Bulldog Club money is going towards someone actively trying to beat us.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Why would you leave Washington for Nebraska? Seems like a step backwards to me.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015

I wonder how many Bulldogs complained when Arnett bailed after a cup of coffee at Syracuse to join Leach at MSU?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Loyalto or accountability call it what you want. Let's start w/ some contracts for coaches, AD's and athletes that are actually enforced that force sitting out and/or buyouts that hurt. Non-competes are common in regular business, which is what these so called sports have become. Seldom is a buyout a deterrent anymore unless its a Jimbo Jumbo type buyout. A&M deserved to have to pay that one for issuing it in the first place. A $35mil buyout is probably the only thing that kept Calipari in Lexington for next year. Schools and coaches will both think twice about signing ridiculous contracts which is what most of them are nowadays.

Let the initiatives of a new school reimburse the former school for scholarship, room and board and any NIL payments made if they want the athlete bad enough , then make them sit a year before playing.

What if an athlete that enters the portal doesn't get picked up by another school?? Tough, should have stayed where they were and once they enter it and don't get picked up they are done at the former school too. How many jobs out there can you resign from and say you are done with, go interview with a competitor, and then come back to the old expecting an open arms welcome?

As for Tolu and Rogers, they are 23 and 24 year old paid employees now remember, its what they wanted. They are both about to grow up even more and have entered the real world .

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I guess that makes it better? We are paying Zach Arnett the difference between his salary at OM and 1.5 million dollars to scheme against us in November. So your Bulldog Club money is going towards someone actively trying to beat us.
I don't believe a 501(c)(3) non-profit could use their funds to pay a coaches buyout.

And why wouldn't a buyout payment be contingent on a non-compete contract in the first place? I'm asking, I don't know.....

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
MRA Ridgeland 2018-2019
Florence MS 2019-2020

2020-2021 @ UT Martin
2021-2022 @ Co-Lin
2023-2024 @ MSU
2024-2025 @ ?????????

Counter- someone has 4 years to experience at the collegiate level the sport that defines them as a person, so if they dont want to spend that finite time sitting on a bench or playing at a lower level, they should try to do what is needed to make their dream happen. Maybe many transfers are just trying to find the best fit and situation for personal and athletic success.

Also, how do you define if the going has gotten tough? Are you saying its OK for Tolu to transfer from WKU because the going wasnt getting tough? What about Jeffries coming from Memphis? Or Davis coming from Oregon State? Moore coming from NC State?
...are all those somehow not applicable to your rant, or are you claiming MSU basketball players lack accountability and moved on(to us) when the going got tough?

And does your rant apply to coaches too? Football and basketball teams are littered with coaches that are at a school for 1 year then bolt. They may be offered a better position elsewhere or they may realize the fit isnt good and decide to look elsewhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Patrick_(basketball) At TCU for a couple seasons, takes a HC job at UC Riverside for 2 seasons, chooses to become an assistant at Arkansas and stays for 1 year, heads to OkState for 1 year, heads back to low level D1 HC status at Sac State these last 2 seasons. Over 8 seasons, he was at 5 schools and chose to move each time. Does he lack accountability? Doe he just move on when the going gets tough? Or is he perhaps trying to find the best fit and situation for personal and professional success?

Reactions: mcdawg22

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Remember we fired him. Lot of these athletes we aren't firing. Unless we pull scholarships from a player but we could be pulling for cause just like you can fire for cause. With nil, need to have contracts. If we decide we want to get rid of you then we keep paying you if you leave you owe us or whoever is getting you. They owe us or trade like nba

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Loyalto or accountability call it what you want. Let's start w/ some contracts for coaches, AD's and athletes that are actually enforced that force sitting out and/or buyouts that hurt. Non-competes are common in regular business, which is what these so called sports have become. Seldom is a buyout a deterrent anymore unless its a Jimbo Jumbo type buyout. A&M deserved to have to pay that one for issuing it in the first place. A $35mil buyout is probably the only thing that kept Calipari in Lexington for next year. Schools and coaches will both think twice about signing ridiculous contracts which is what most of them are nowadays.

Let the initiatives of a new school reimburse the former school for scholarship, room and board and any NIL payments made if they want the athlete bad enough , then make them sit a year before playing.

What if an athlete that enters the portal doesn't get picked up by another school?? Tough, should have stayed where they were and once they enter it and don't get picked up they are done at the former school too. How many jobs out there can you resign from and say you are done with, go interview with a competitor, and then come back to the old expecting an open arms welcome?

As for Tolu and Rogers, they are 23 and 24 year old paid employees now remember, it’s what they wanted. They are both about to grow up even more and have entered the real world .
If you are going to go the business vs player route I have a perfect example about a lesson I learned in the business world.
My first professional job I worked for a bank. They worked me to the bone and I constantly asked for additional branch support and never got it. A startup bank was opening and a former coworker head hunted me. I interviewed and they offered without my current employer knowing. I didn’t have to enter a portal. I struggled with the decision for a week because the bank gave me an opportunity and the training that allowed me to be a candidate. I gave my two weeks and was sat down in an office by an AVP and preached to about loyalty and the bank’s investment toward me. I still took the other job. 3 months later that AVP left for a better opportunity. I saw her at a chamber event and asked her about her loyalty. She said that was the company talking, not her. If she could tell me as a non AVP what to do that day she would have said you should have been looking a long time ago.
I also know of employees that have used offers as leverage and got raises, so kind of like going in the portal.

Reactions: olblue

patdog

May 28, 2007

Washington to Nebraska seems like a step backwards to me. Wonder what the story is.

Reactions: Studentdawg06

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’m perfectly happy with BC funds being used to pay for bad coaches to be at OM. The flip side perspective of that is they are spending their foundation funds on his salary, which actually saves us money.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Burger King, Wendy's, McDonald's, Arby's, What-a-Burger, Ward's ......