Underrated team

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I might be the only person but I think SC is being overlooked this offseason and will catch some ppl by surprise. I think Shane did a great job with recruiting HS and the portal this offseason.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
We always win in the off season.
Lets hope so!!!!! One of my bucket list of things to do before I die is to catch Carolina at the college world series. I'm kicking myself I did not go when we won the 2 Championship games. If they go to Omaha, I'll have my butt in the stadium.

Reactions: mickray

THEusccocks

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
I might be the only person but I think SC is being overlooked this offseason and will catch some ppl by surprise. I think Shane did a great job with recruiting HS and the portal this offseason.
I agree. Not talking 10 win season or anything but this is a very solid team pretty much across the board from a talent perspective. There’s some question marks for sure, and the schedule is pretty brutal but I think we will win a few most aren’t expecting and win 7 or so games. Not exactly a crazy prediction- that’s what Beamer did his first 2 seasons and I think he’d have done it last year if we weren’t starting an entirely different O-line every single week.

mickray

May 20, 2023
I agree. Not talking 10 win season or anything but this is a very solid team pretty much across the board from a talent perspective. There’s some question marks for sure, and the schedule is pretty brutal but I think we will win a few most aren’t expecting and win 7 or so games. Not exactly a crazy prediction- that’s what Beamer did his first 2 seasons and I think he’d have done it last year if we weren’t starting an entirely different O-line every single week.
So we have a chance?

Reactions: SSIGamecock

mickray

May 20, 2023
Lets hope so!!!!! One of my bucket list of things to do before I die is to catch Carolina at the college world series. I'm kicking myself I did not go when we won the 2 Championship games. If they go to Omaha, I'll have my butt in the stadium.
Echo that.....

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Hard to say, a lot depends on the O Line. I can confidently say they should not be worse, its much harder to say how improved they will be. I HOPE they improve a lot.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Even with the different O-line, we should have beaten UF. Win that, and we're in a bowl game against some other mediocre team with a good chance to win that 7th game.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
Even with the different O-line, we should have beaten UF. Win that, and we're in a bowl game against some other mediocre team with a good chance to win that 7th game.
Agreed on UF - a lot of people forget we had UGA on the ropes for 2/3 of the game as well.

If Sellers can get going against ODU and then find a way to win @kentucky, I really like where our season could go. If would provide him the confidence going into the last 10 that he belongs and is an SEC QB. Not that I think he doesn't belong or doesn't have the confidence, but I think to start 2-0 and go on the road in the SEC and win a game would really, really help him and the team.

Then from there, 3 in a row at home -
LSU
Akron W
Ole MIss

Think you have to win against either LSU or Ole Miss - if so, you're 4-1 going into Bama to shock the world with a ton of confidence.

IMO for a surprisingly successful season, we will have to be really good games 1-4 and in games 9-12. Will be really tough to even be .500 games 5-8. To add to that, we really need to play well at Willy B, which under Beamer, we have been.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Agreed on UF - a lot of people forget we had UGA on the ropes for 2/3 of the game as well.

If Sellers can get going against ODU and then find a way to win @kentucky, I really like where our season could go. If would provide him the confidence going into the last 10 that he belongs and is an SEC QB. Not that I think he doesn't belong or doesn't have the confidence, but I think to start 2-0 and go on the road in the SEC and win a game would really, really help him and the team.

LSU
Akron W
Ole MIss

Think you have to win against either LSU or Ole Miss - if so, you're 4-1 going into Bama to shock the world with a ton of confidence.

IMO for a surprisingly successful season, we will have to be really good games 1-4 and in games 9-12. Will be really tough to even be .500 games 5-8. To add to that, we really need to play well at Willy B, which under Beamer, we have been.
Agree with your analysis. UK is the most important game of the season...it's one we seemingly have to win to have a chance to be successful. I think LSU is a very winnable game. There's no telling what that team looks like without Daniels, and getting them early at home is a huge benefit.

An aside...we haven't played LSU in Columbia since 2008!

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
Agree with your analysis. UK is the most important game of the season...it's one we seemingly have to win to have a chance to be successful. I think LSU is a very winnable game. There's no telling what that team looks like without Daniels, and getting them early at home is a huge benefit.

An aside...we haven't played LSU in Columbia since 2008!
That game in 2008 is where Sandstorm was actually born, despite most people saying it was Ole Miss in 2009.

That LSU game was WILD - Garcia getting a 1st down on a 3rd and long and running down the side lines pumping up the crowd during a timeout with Spurrier about to lose his damn mind because he had the team huddled and his QB was 50 yards away lol.

Was also the game the ref tackled Garcia when he was going to probably score a TD. I think the ref definitely did it on purpose because he though Garcia was a punk (prob accurate assessment at the time), but still was absolutely unbelievable to see live.

Reactions: USCEDGE

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
Two obvious aspects of this thread:

1. The annual unbridled enthusiasm of the Gamecock fan
  2. The continual belief that referees are responsible for our decades-long run of football mediocrity (example: "I think the ref definitely did it on purpose because he though Garcia was a punk…")

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
This optimism is awesome!!!

Completely nuts, but awesome.

Even a blind pig can root up a truffle ever once in a while, so maybe this year...

8qwj1a.jpg

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
As usual, it seems we have a lot of question marks. The usual assumption is that question marks lead to not good things. But if Sellers ends up being as good as advertised. If our OL plays as good as we were told they'd be last year if healthy. If Rocket Sanders can return to form after his injury. If Nyck and other WR develop into producers. Then we could surprise some people.

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
The schedule is like running through a woodchipper. Something tells me the transfer from Auby will see significant playing time. Not that Sellers isn't ready, but that he still will be in development mode.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
This will be Beamer's 4th season. The players on the team. for the most part, are HIS recruits. Some people look at the schedule and have fear. Why? We have Ole Miss and Missouri at HOME. We have a Texas A&M team with a first-year Head Coach at HOME. Yes, we go on the road to play Kentucky. But we have beaten Kentucky for the past 2 years. If we struggle in 2024 like we did last year, then Beamer has NOT been doing his job. Obviously, I don't understand the pessimism some have coming into the season. I do KNOW though that Beamer loves the low expectations. He loves it because he can then make the case that a 5th season should not be "make or break" for him, regardless how this season goes.

Last edited:

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Beamer loves the low expectations. He loves it because he can then make the case that a 5th season should not be "make or break" for him, regardless how this season goes.
He will probably try that but there are a lot more people who believe he was a mistake today than a couple of years ago. When he was hired I gave him a 90% chance of failure so I'm not exactly shocked. He was not an intelligent hire. And I think Chadwell really wanted to be here.

Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
He will probably try that but there are a lot more people who believe he was a mistake today than a couple of years ago. When he was hired I gave him a 90% chance of failure so I'm not exactly shocked. He was not an intelligent hire. And I think Chadwell really wanted to be here.
VERY true. Jacque. We obviously let a good one get away who has produced at multiple schools/levels. Sometimes I come to the conclusion that it's not meant to be for us Carolina fans. That's makes it easier for me to roll with the punches.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
VERY true. Jacque. We obviously let a good one get away who has produced at multiple schools/levels. Sometimes I come to the conclusion that it's not meant to be for us Carolina fans. That's makes it easier for me to roll with the punches.
I'll still be pulling for us to do something great on every play. What else can I do?

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I think a lot of teams on our schedule is being overrated right now. LSU and OU comes to mind. We almost won 6 games last season without an SEC RB, a hurt OL, slow linebackers, and one wideout. I really like our chances to sneak up on some teams.

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022

LSU
Akron W
Ole MIss

I think ppl don’t understand how hard it is to find a QB that’s as big as him and also can run and throw really well. He has the mindset to be an elite QB, not saying he’s already there but he has all the tools to be elite. Why can’t we have a Heisman winning QB at SC?

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
As usual, it seems we have a lot of question marks. The usual assumption is that question marks lead to not good things. But if Sellers ends up being as good as advertised. If our OL plays as good as we were told they'd be last year if healthy. If Rocket Sanders can return to form after his injury. If Nyck and other WR develop into producers. Then we could surprise some people.
To be fair, every team in the nation has question marks, even UGA. Even with a bad OL last season, we could’ve beaten UGA if a couple of calls and plays went our way. I think on paper we have what it takes to be a good team but we don’t play football on paper. I’m excited to see what this staff can do with a roster like this

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
I think ppl don’t understand how hard it is to find a QB that’s as big as him and also can run and throw really well. He has the mindset to be an elite QB, not saying he’s already there but he has all the tools to be elite. Why can’t we have a Heisman winning QB at SC?
I'm not sure if you are thinking that I am knocking him somehow, but I'm not. I think he could be really, really good. My point is, if he can get that win against Kentucky, it will give him confidence to go along with those God given tools you are speaking of. Confidence as a QB is VERY important.

You said in your post he has the mindset to be elite - maybe so, however, if we go out and lose a sloppy game against Kentucky, that can hurt his confidence. He wins that game, it will build positively and think that will really help him play more freely.

Reactions: Maccmaine12

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I'm not sure if you are thinking that I am knocking him somehow, but I'm not. I think he could be really, really good. My point is, if he can get that win against Kentucky, it will give him confidence to go along with those God given tools you are speaking of. Confidence as a QB is VERY important.

You said in your post he has the mindset to be elite - maybe so, however, if we go out and lose a sloppy game against Kentucky, that can hurt his confidence. He wins that game, it will build positively and think that will really help him play more freely.
No. I didn’t think you were knocking him lol

Reactions: SSIGamecock

Latest posts