UNIFORMS

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
I loved it. From the stands, you can’t see the gamecock anyway, and our logo looks like a jumbled up mess. Actually hardly distinguishable between ours, SC states, NC states or stanfords to me.
It's not about seeing it from the stands -- it's all about TV. 70K in the stands...7M on TV.

And on my new high end 65" LG OLED TV (which is nicer than @King Ward's Samsung) the "Block C" with Gamecock is beautiful and instantly identifiable as The University of South Carolina.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
It's not about seeing it from the stands -- it's all about TV. 70K in the stands...7M on TV.

And on my new high end 65" LG OLED TV (which is nicer than @King Ward's Samsung) the "Block C" with Gamecock is beautiful and instantly identifiable as The University of South Carolina.
Agree, it's all about the TV view

Attachments

• block C.PNG
    block C.PNG
    137.6 KB · Views: 1
  • helmetfullgamecock.PNG
    helmetfullgamecock.PNG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Ladycockcock

BigJC

Aug 5, 2022
Agree, it's all about the TV view
We averaged about 575,000 viewers for our 2021 games. It's not like the world is watching and/or caring what we wear. We should wear what our fans like and stick with a basic home and away uniform. Top teams have recognizable uniforms/helmets and stick with a few basic looks. Consistency in branding is important as far as marketing is concerned.

GamecockMike

Joined Mar 29, 2008
Jan 19, 2022
I wasn’t really interested in the game for some reason.When I was watching tho,I didn’t know who was who by just glancing at the tv.I had to see a number on a shirt or when it showed a closeup of the helmet I saw who Carolina was.

suncock

Joined Apr 23, 2003
Jan 25, 2022
I wasn’t really interested in the game for some reason.When I was watching tho,I didn’t know who was who by just glancing at the tv.I had to see a number on a shirt or when it showed a closeup of the helmet I saw who Carolina was.
You knew Carolina was playing at home and did not know which team was wearing garnet jerseys and which team was wearing white jerseys? Really?

StormCobra

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Feb 10, 2022
We averaged about 575,000 viewers for our 2021 games. It's not like the world is watching and/or caring what we wear. We should wear what our fans like and stick with a basic home and away uniform. Top teams have recognizable uniforms/helmets and stick with a few basic looks. Consistency in branding is important as far as marketing is concerned.
I would just like true Garnet as Fl State has and stay with it in the color scheme of ea. uniform & Head Gear...

GamecockMike

Joined Mar 29, 2008
Jan 19, 2022
You knew Carolina was playing at home and did not know which team was wearing garnet jerseys and which team was wearing white jerseys? Really?
Like I said I wasn’t interested or really paying attention.by just glancing at the tv,it was hard to tell.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
I don't care how much attention is being paid. We were playing at home. That means it's going to be either a Garnet or Black jersey. It's shouldn't be at all confusing or "hard to tell" for anyone.

I believe we can all count on one hand the number of times we've opted to wear white at home.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
This is true and we have established the "Block C" with Gamecock as our brand. Love it or hate it, this is who we are!
When I wore my Gamecock hat with our standard logo in the UK, I got several "Go Gamecocks!" yelled at me over the two weeks. Even in a remote corner of the Isle of Skye. It's recognizable. People can't draw it, but they know WTF it stands for. There's no way they'd do the same thing if I wore a hat with just a big dumb "C" on it.

Last edited:

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I don't care how much attention is being paid. We were playing at home. That means it's going to be either a Garnet or Black jersey. It's shouldn't be at all confusing or "hard to tell" for anyone.

I believe we can all count on one hand the number of times we've opted to wear white at home.
Yes, even some folks who lost fingers in industrial accidents.

NYC_Gamecock

Joined Jun 16, 2007
Feb 5, 2022
Made no sense for us to wear W/G/W against SC State who wore W/W/R? It appeared like we were playing our spring game? We should have worn G/B/W for this game. Yeah, I also want to know who decides what we wear each game?

Reactions: Dod Rangerfield

GamecockMike

Joined Mar 29, 2008
Jan 19, 2022

What about the casual fan watching the game on tv that doesn’t know anything about the school? Only a diehard Carolina fan would know what jersey they supposed wear.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
What about the casual fan watching the game on tv that doesn’t know anything about the school? Only a diehard Carolina fan would know what jersey they supposed wear.
Even casual college football fans know the home team wears dark jerseys 99.9999999999999999999% of the time.

You're just looking for a reason to complain about something.

Reactions: will110

BigJC

Aug 5, 2022
Even casual college football fans know the home team wears dark jerseys 99.9999999999999999999% of the time.

LSU and Georgia tech both wear "home white" pretty much all the time and Penn State wears white at home at least once a year for a "white out" game.

My complaint is the constant switching up of uniform and helmet combinations. When Bama takes the field, home or away, no one ever has to give a moments thought to what team is playing. The same is true for Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State and most of the top tier programs. Only Oregon with their close ties to Nike and their willingness to wear some of the most God awful looking uniforms can really pull off switching up uniforms and being easily recognized.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
A lot of fans like the different color combinations.

We are consistent - Garnet and Black!

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
LSU and Georgia tech both wear "home white" pretty much all the time and Penn State wears white at home at least once a year for a "white out" game.

My complaint is the constant switching up of uniform and helmet combinations. When Bama takes the field, home or away, no one ever has to give a moments thought to what team is playing. The same is true for Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State and most of the top tier programs. Only Oregon with their close ties to Nike and their willingness to wear some of the most God awful looking uniforms can really pull off switching up uniforms and being easily recognized.
Penn State doesn't wear white at home, even for the whiteouts. They wear the generic blue jersey. (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...uring-whiteout-game/i39nmzehlmbe18vwzjpj5lszw)

Do you really have to think for a minute when you see Carolina wearing garnet or black? It's pretty clearly the Gamecocks.

Georgia has pulled out black jerseys the last few season and even wore red pants a couple years ago at Arkansas. Michigan has pulled out blue and white pants instead of maize pants recently. Ohio State even has changed things up and worn alternate uniforms, including all black (which is not in their school colors!).

Reactions: Dod Rangerfield

BigJC

Aug 5, 2022
Penn State doesn't wear white at home, even for the whiteouts. They wear the generic blue jersey. (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...uring-whiteout-game/i39nmzehlmbe18vwzjpj5lszw)

Do you really have to think for a minute when you see Carolina wearing garnet or black? It's pretty clearly the Gamecocks.

Georgia has pulled out black jerseys the last few season and even wore red pants a couple years ago at Arkansas. Michigan has pulled out blue and white pants instead of maize pants recently. Ohio State even has changed things up and worn alternate uniforms, including all black (which is not in their school colors!).
The difference is; Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan might have some change in uniform once a season. It is not like every week is some sort of silly fashion show of different color combinations and helmet designs. What other legit college program has helmets in three different colors and three different graphics styles on them? What other legit college program has threads on their message boards where fans get excited trying to guess what uniform the team is going to wear?

A team using its uniform combo to create excitement among the fans is fake juice at its worst.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
The difference is; Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan might have some change in uniform once a season. It is not like every week is some sort of silly fashion show of different color combinations and helmet designs. What other legit college program has helmets in three different colors and three different graphics styles on them? What other legit college program has threads on their message boards where fans get excited trying to guess what uniform the team is going to wear?

A team using its uniform combo to create excitement among the fans is fake juice at its worst.
Under Beamer the uniforms have gotten much more traditional than when Muschamp was coaching. So it's not the different combo every week like under Muschamp. Really, the week one black/garnet/garnet look against Georgia State was the first time under Beamer that Carolina did something a little different. We never wore black helmets last year and the garnet helmets only once.

Tennessee and Florida are two "big" brands that have pulled out very different uniforms the past few years.

I've seen uniform reveal videos for a bunch of different college teams this year. We were ahead of that trend with Justin King during the Muschamp years. I don't mind that Beamer got rid of those videos, but they were well done and clearly started a trend with other schools.

I don't follow other schools' message boards, so I have no idea if other fans discuss uniforms.

I like uniforms. We have awesome colors and really good looking uniforms, so it's fun to talk about. If you don't like it, I don't really understand taking shots at it and acting like that's why we aren't good at football.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022

To answer this question, here's an article highlighting all the different new uniforms released for this season. It's quite a list, including "legit" teams like Miami, Notre Dame, and Washington.

GamecockMike

Joined Mar 29, 2008
Jan 19, 2022

Not trying to complain,just don’t know. As long as I’ve been watching and discussing football,I’ve never heard of anybody mentioning teams wearing dark colors for home games.I guess I’m an outlier. I guess I’m in the .0000000000000000001%