USC Coach Michael Hutchings Elevated To On-Field Role!

in2nation

Aug 24, 2017
Wait? Doesn't Orlando Coach linebackers? How'd that conversation go?

Fight on, Hutch!

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Is Donte going to hire a CB coach, or let Naviar coach all DBs?

I doubt if he is going to be both HC and CB coach. I remember coach O hired a DL coach when he became interim HC.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Touchdown5

Jan 24, 2018

I doubt if he is going to be both HC and CB coach. I remember coach O hired a DL coach when he became interim HC.
Coach Orgeron originally wanted Jeff Telford to come and be the offensive coordinator. He declined since Lane Kirin was a former player of his. So he moved Clay Helton to offensive coordinator and got a defensive line coach.

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017

Since Hutch got promoted,we now have 10 assistant coaches. Donte cannot hire another asst now.

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
Wait? Doesn't Orlando Coach linebackers? How'd that conversation go?

Fight on, Hutch!
You realize Hutch was a QA coach coaching LB's with TO already, right?
This was probably a way of rewarding a good up-and-coming coach.

Fan Base

Aug 24, 2017
Coach Orgeron originally wanted Jeff Telford to come and be the offensive coordinator. He declined since Lane Kirin was a former player of his. So he moved Clay Helton to offensive coordinator and got a defensive line coach.
...and the rest is history...

Reactions: Moose4usc

in2nation

Aug 24, 2017
You realize Hutch was a QA coach coaching LB's with TO already, right?
This was probably a way of rewarding a good up-and-coming coach.
No, I wasn’t aware of what Hutch’s specific DQA duties were. Makes sense to me, but I was more pursuing if there might have been some head coaching going on to “refocus” his DC. Everybody loves some tea.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
TO needs to figure out a way to get to the QB or at least put some pressure on the QB. Donte probably told him to focus on that!
Fight On!

Reactions: in2nation

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
TO needs to figure out a way to get to the QB or at least put some pressure on the QB. Donte probably told him to focus on that!
Fight On!

Fat chance. This was one of the main reasons Texas fans hated him. It was the same thing in Austin, where you had defensive lineman stuck in the mud and the best pass rusher(s) constantly falling back into coverage. The first thing I thought when he was announced was "poor Drake."

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Fat chance. This was one of the main reasons Texas fans hated him. It was the same thing in Austin, where you had defensive lineman stuck in the mud and the best pass rusher(s) constantly falling back into coverage. The first thing I thought when he was announced was "poor Drake."
Not sold on TO but the real issue holding back Jackson and Foreman is the lack of depth at DT. More DTs means shifting to a 4-man front that allows DEs to be more aggressive on the edge. 3-man front means DE has more inside gap responsibility, especially when your MLBs are undersized.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017

There are only so many coaching positions you are allowed to have live. Subtract Helton, add Hutchings. I think this is a smart move - Orlando's defense fell apart against Stanford. We have a weak DL right now and the LB's are the next layer that has to function well if the overall scheme is going to work. Makes sense to have Michael as LB coach to help develop what are some talented linebackers and allow Orlando to see the whole defense. Donte can continue to work with Naivar on the secondary but turn more of the day to day to him.

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Not sold on TO but the real issue holding back Jackson and Foreman is the lack of depth at DT. More DTs means shifting to a 4-man front that allows DEs to be more aggressive on the edge. 3-man front means DE has more inside gap responsibility, especially when your MLBs are undersized.
This has played a big role.

Jamar Sekona is the smallest of the NT's in a body line up, with Stanley Ta'ufo'ou who was moved up from LB.

Latest posts