USC officially joins B10

TrojanMoondoggie

Aug 24, 2017
And any legit news on this? Caught it on the BU board who is also discussing this USC/ucla story.

Attachments

• 34AE798C-9602-4BAB-8100-EE460819FE4A.png
    34AE798C-9602-4BAB-8100-EE460819FE4A.png
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 10

TrojanHorse

Aug 24, 2017
I have supported Mike. He is, I'm sure, more in tune than I am. But, on the other hand he has a mid West Bias that I do not. I am not a fan of this move. Perhaps I am too much of a traditionalist. I was not quite ready to give up on the Pac 12. But I have not quite been ready to give up on California either. Maybe that makes me Old Fashioned. I will try to stay patient to see how this all plays out.

TrojanMoondoggie

Aug 24, 2017
Basketball.
And a little thing called academics doesn’t hurt. Ucla and Northwestern would be battling it out for #1 and #2 in the conference academically. A gain for ucla since it has always been in the shadows of its big sister, Berkeley, and well behind Stanford. And always would be.

Steve From Florida

Dec 11, 2018
So USC has started a women's soccer and lacrosse team that have both won national championships. I hope with the extra money they can do a field hockey program that can compete within the BIG 10 and kick the ACCs ***.

TheRealAirbns

Aug 24, 2017
There are ways to work around travel schedules. I suggested USC build an away practice field with lodging accommodations. Maybe call it Troy Camp or something. When they have consecutive away games they don't need to fly out West again until they have a home game. A few bye weeks mixed in and clever scheduling ought to do the trick. The facility can be used by all travel USC teams. I think some creative thinking is what's needed. Out with the old and in with the new. Prepare for the bowl system to get mothballed. Super conferences will make it a relic system. It's going to be a full blown playoffs when everything gets worked out.
So, just drop the pretense of going to classes and getting a degree altogether, is that what you're suggesting? Probably wouldn't be such a bad thing. The world has too many sociologists, already.

Reactions: Gold Trojan

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Truly the two college football conferences....

ESPN vFox.
Apple announced yesterday that they’re interested in reopening negotiations on broadcast rights too. This move could provide a financial windfall for USC’s athletics. It was announced yesterday too, that the Trojans will start paying ALL athletes the max allowable stipend.

TheRealAirbns

Aug 24, 2017
Hope the money is worth it, becaue 'SC is going to be spending a *lot* of money on travel. Especially if some of the non revenue producing sports are part of the deal.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Apple announced yesterday that they’re interested in reopening negotiations on broadcast rights too. This move could provide a financial windfall for USC’s athletics. It was announced yesterday too, that the Trojans will start paying ALL athletes the max allowable stipend.

I think how this plays out is to actually neuter the TV networks a bit. Apple, Amazon, and such will be looking to stream like the NFL will be doing for Thursday night games. More avenues for eyeballs makes the TV less important.

Reactions: Pudly76

TrojanHorse

Aug 24, 2017
I just hope we are not placed in the division of death with OSU/Michigan.
I think Big 10 has already, or certainly will, adopt the policy of the two top ranked teams play for the conference title. Not sure how the scheduling will work. But no matter what it's going to look a lot more like the SEC going forward.

Or...I'm actually thinking the tea leaves are pointing to these two conferences being division one football. They will have a mini playoff for their conference championship and then and the champions of each play each other for the national championship.

• Wow

Poobah

Aug 28, 2019
Hope the money is worth it, becaue 'SC is going to be spending a *lot* of money on travel. Especially if some of the non revenue producing sports are part of the deal.
I read somewhere that the PAC-12 annual revenue of $344M (2020-2021 season) comes mostly from USC (45%) & UCLA (20%)…but only $238M of that was then split evenly between all 12 schools. That’s 65% of the PAC-12 revenue deriving from just the 2 universities and split 13 ways.

Each university received $19.8M from the PAC-12 in 2021. That was a down year for all conferences because of Covid….

Performance for the financial year 2019-2020, highlighted by total revenues of $534M and distributions at $403M, representing an average of $33.6M per member university. If USC did account for 45% of that revenue generated, that’s $240.3M, and UCLA’s 20% would have been responsible for $106.8M!!! That means USC only received 14% of the revenue that it generated and UCLA got about 31.5% of the revenue they generated.

Disclaimer: I’m basing these figures I calculated on the 45% and 20% numbers I read on some site. I was unable to verify those figures, though I attempted to do so. If someone has a link to verify or dispute these percentages, please provide and I’ll recalculate the figures I presented here.

USC & UCLA stand to make over $100M annually in the BIG 10, if the potential deals being reported are true! So based on that alone, USC & UCLA had good reason to bail. The cost of travel for all sports would barely put a scratch into the difference in PAC-12 vs BIG 10 Revenues.

I think the main thing is going to be the effect of the longer travel distances / time zone change from west to east on the on-field success of our team. Studies have shown that the longer the distance a team travels for an away game directly correlates to their win percentage decreasing…and one could further extrapolate it applies even more so with all of the travel being from west to east. So, they’ll have to figure that out.

…And I’ll tell you what, I sure won’t miss those friggin’ PAC-12 Referees!!!

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I read somewhere that the PAC-12 annual revenue of $344M (2020-2021 season) comes mostly from USC (45%) & UCLA (20%)…but only $238M of that was then split evenly between all 12 schools. That’s 65% of the PAC-12 revenue deriving from just the 2 universities and split 13 ways.

Each university received $19.8M from the PAC-12 in 2021. That was a down year for all conferences because of Covid….

Performance for the financial year 2019-2020, highlighted by total revenues of $534M and distributions at $403M, representing an average of $33.6M per member university. If USC did account for 45% of that revenue generated, that’s $240.3M, and UCLA’s 20% would have been responsible for $106.8M!!! That means USC only received 14% of the revenue that it generated and UCLA got about 31.5% of the revenue they generated.

Disclaimer: I’m basing these figures I calculated on the 45% and 20% numbers I read on some site. I was unable to verify those figures, though I attempted to do so. If someone has a link to verify or dispute these percentages, please provide and I’ll recalculate the figures I presented here.

USC & UCLA stand to make over $100M annually in the BIG 10, if the potential deals being reported are true! So based on that alone, USC & UCLA had good reason to bail. The cost of travel for all sports would barely put a scratch into the difference in PAC-12 vs BIG 10 Revenues.

I think the main thing is going to be the effect of the longer travel distances / time zone change from west to east on the on-field success of our team. Studies have shown that the longer the distance a team travels for an away game directly correlates to their win percentage decreasing…and one could further extrapolate it applies even more so with all of the travel being from west to east. So, they’ll have to figure that out.

IIRC, the B10 had a graduated pay scale, when they last expanded, where Rutgers wouldn’t get the same percentage as the big stalwart teams..

Reactions: Poobah

TheRealAirbns

Aug 24, 2017
I've had the same concern. Five hours on a plane is going to take a day or two to shake off.

Hopefully, fewer of those awful Thursday and Friday night games, too. Hated those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pudly76 and Poobah

Poobah

Aug 28, 2019
They already had 14 teams in the BIG 10, so now it’s going to be 16 teams.

I think they should now rename the BIG 10 to…

No, not The Sweet 16…that’s too obvious. So, it should be…

The BIG PACKAGE! *

*Sponsored by Trojan Magnums

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018

The BIG PACKAGE! *

Who wouldn’t want that NIL deal..???

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

The BIG PACKAGE! *

I realize you're joking.....however....Women also play sports in the Big10.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
So, just drop the pretense of going to classes and getting a degree altogether, is that what you're suggesting? Probably wouldn't be such a bad thing. The world has too many sociologists, already.
I thought every student athlete majored in “Communications”.

• Wow

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I'm still digesting the move. I was a big fan of the PAC 8, 10, and 12. I'm not a fan of the Big 10 and must reprogram my mindset. I'm sure this is a smart financial move for USC. Hell, there's so many changes (good & bad) in college sports recently; it's hard keeping up. Being an AD for any college is a tough gig.

Can't wait for USC FB season to begin and the 1st game...

Last edited: