USCe hires.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is such a strange hire to me. I don't understand how Ray Tanner is still the ad. If this is your hire, why not go get Landon Powell from North Greenville University.
Anyway, Ethan Petry feel free to take your talents to Vegas and the Dude.
Coaches don't often make great administrators. You're usually good at either one or the other, different skillsets.

So many people think administration isn't necessary, whether it's a school, sports, or whatever - but it is, and may be the most important cog in the machine. You could say the same for teachers......they also don't make good administrators, but all too often they are promoted into it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He's probably got at least another 5 good years in him.
He may, but they are going to be 5 years of mid. Maybe that's all they want.

This is a lazy, cheap hire to keep the baseball program viable while they dump all their disposable money into women's basketball.

Reactions: GloryDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007

This is a lazy, cheap hire to keep the baseball program viable while they dump all their disposable money into women's basketball.
Dude went to 2 super regionals and a Covid year the last 3 years at LSU. It's not like he just fell off a cliff there.

Edit: WTH does this even mean? "they are going to be 5 years of mid"

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

God what a dumb take.

because he’s old he can’t coach baseball anymore. And hes going to be mid?

you speak all the time about how you have to do things differently when you don’t have the nil to compete with the big boys. Perhaps this is exactly it.

regardless if we wouldn’t have hired him or we think it’s a bad hire… probably means it was a good one… because our track record on new hires in recent history has been pretty bad

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Dude went to 2 super regionals and a Covid year the last 3 years at LSU. It's not like he just fell off a cliff there.
This—- quality hire. Nothing wrong with a 5-6 year bridge at worst to get the program back on the rise and put it in a good spot moving forward…. And that’s the low end… guy has been extremely successful everywhere he’s been

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Talking about a guy who took lsu to the cws 5 times in 13 years. Won it, and were runner ups.

last two seasons ended in the supers.

he basically made notre dame baseball relevant and took them to Omaha.

its a good hire.

Reactions: Wytalehntr

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Talking about a guy who took lsu to the cws 5 times in 13 years. Won it, and were runner ups.

last two seasons ended in the supers.

he basically made notre dame baseball relevant and took them to Omaha.

its a good hire.
If we fired Lemonis and hired Maineri, you would be happy with that?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If we fired Lemonis and hired Maineri, you would be happy with that?
Yes. Have to consider he’s already pouched a pitching coach from LsU and retained his top assistant and recruiter.

had we hired him instead of Lemonis this entire fan base would have been thrilled.

you basically have 3 choices when hiring a coach at this level:
1) get a proven guy whose been successful at a this level
2) hire an assistant of the above guy and hope you catch lightening in a bottle
3) hire a winner at a smaller school and hope it transfers

South Carolina did this.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Yes. Have to consider he’s already pouched a pitching coach from LsU and retained his top assistant and recruiter.

had we hired him instead of Lemonis this entire fan base would have been thrilled.

you basically have 3 choices when hiring a coach at this level:
1) get a proven guy whose been successful at a this level
2) hire an assistant of the above guy and hope you catch lightening in a bottle
3) hire a winner at a smaller school and hope it transfers

South Carolina did this.
Hiring him instead of Lemonis? That’s a different conversation. Hiring him now, no thank you. I’d rather see who is available next year. I do agree that hiring strong assistants who are stud recruiters will make a big difference.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Godwin and ECU feast off sub par competition for the most part in regular season.
Good coach and may could do well at a P5 school but not sure after all of ECU’s struggles

That’s true. They have found ways not to make Omaha when ECU had the super regional series all but won.

At the same time, I wouldnt call 4 super regionals and 8 regionals in 9 seasons a struggle. They have a mental block about getting to Omaha.

I think Godwin is a step up from Kingston, but I am not sure by how much. If Godwin was at Texas, I’m guessing he has very similar results as Pierce.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not saying you're right or wrong. But noticed USC just hired Eric Musselman, Arkansas just hired Calipari, and St. Johns recently just hired Pitino.
I'm sure they'll be mid, which is acceptable most places. Musselman is probably fine. Calipari and Pitino are a little too old to be starting over.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
One thing I feel good about.. if goat is saying one thing.. the opposite it’s typically the better side to be on

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hiring him instead of Lemonis? That’s a different conversation. Hiring him now, no thank you. I’d rather see who is available next year. I do agree that hiring strong assistants who are stud recruiters will make a big difference.
The other name on ththe list was Landon Powell a former player who was successful at a small directional school

Directional school hires typically don’t pan out unless they’ve been in a bigger league at some point

the names I’ve seen floated around about the people we might could get haven’t been impressive… and I’d take minereai and his experience and ability to build a nice staff over a directional school coach that could very well be overwhelmed

Reactions: patdog

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I had to google Musselman's age. Dude is 59! He looks 45.
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg