USMNT Thread

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Well it was dumb for sure. The foul he was crying about wasn't even that hard a foul to begin with. Nice he apologized and admitted it was dumb and immature, but that was one of the dumbest meltdowns I've seen. It's like he had a mental breakdown on the pitch. Then add in Turner's awful attempt at a really savable ball. He's known for being a great shot stopper, but if that starts to go....give me Horvath who actually looks like he did play the sport growing up and is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Reactions: A2nit

A2nit

Oct 12, 2021
Well it was dumb for sure. The foul he was crying about wasn't even that hard a foul to begin with. Nice he apologized and admitted it was dumb and immature, but that was one of the dumbest meltdowns I've seen. It's like he had a mental breakdown on the pitch. Then add in Turner's awful attempt at a really savable ball. He's known for being a great shot stopper, but if that starts to go....give me Horvath who actually looks like he did play the sport growing up and is comfortable with the ball at his feet.
I’m not a Turner guy at all, thankfully not the only one…

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021

I'd like to see Gregg continue experimenting with both Balo and Pepi on the pitch at the same time.

Reactions: GreggK

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Copa America draw is in.

USA are in Group C and draw the most difficult team from Pot 2 (Uruguay).

Group C
USA
Uruguay
Panama
Bolivia

Shouldn't be a difficult group to qualify from for the quarterfinals. Having stated that, however, the issue is that Group C is paired with Group D in the quarters, which means a likely opponent of either Brazil or Colombia. This is why Uruguay being placed in our group sort of complicates matters a bit more for the USMNT's hopes of progressing deep. We did not look particularly strong against them in a recent-ish friendly. In the back of my mind, there is a likely scenario in which Uruguay will top the group and the US will face Brazil in the quarters.

Therefore, it'll be imperative that the USMNT get all six points against Panama and Bolivia and then go for all the marbles against Uruguay in the final group stage match. It's an opportunity for this maturing group of players to prove themselves for their own sake. If they can manage to play well enough into the semis with this draw, then it'll be a wonderful boost of confidence for this program moving forward. Great opportunity. But, it's also an opportunity to genuinely evaluate this manager. If they go out with a whimper in the second round for the second major tournament in a row, then serious and open-minded considerations will need to be made at US Soccer—if there is a will for it.

Last edited:

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
It’s often ironically quiet after the wins.
Odd isn’t it? Gio playing in a deeper role was a pretty good move as they were able to work the ball out so freely all night it felt. As frustrating as the Jamaica match was last night the US seemed to be in complete control for 70 of the 90 minutes. Not too mention you can see by Adams reaction how the players do love the guy. Just another trophy and win over Mexico in a final.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erial_Lion

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
It’s often ironically quiet after the wins.
I was only able to watch the first half. Ball possession seems to improve a little every time I watch this team. Dest really showed off his ball skills. Wow.
And the goal by Adams reminded me a little of Steven Gerrard. What a strike!.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I was only able to watch the first half. Ball possession seems to improve a little every time I watch this team. Dest really showed off his ball skills. Wow.
And the goal by Adams reminded me a little of Steven Gerrard. What a strike!.
Yea, I thought we played really confidently out of the back. When we gained possession, even deep in our own end, we controlled it rather than booting it long. Geo definitely dropped deeper giving support to Adams/Johnny, but it really freed up Dest and Antonee to get forward. Dest had several great moments taking guys 1v1 (and 1v2) and getting around them into dangerous positions. Thought that Ream had another really solid game...makes me start to question if there is a chance of him making it all the way to 2026.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
  • Sad
Reactions: Tgar and Woodpecker

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021

It's a big loss for us in Copa America, and it's not because of his defensive prowess. We lose a lot going forward on his side of the pitch. Sometimes just beating a man on the dibble unlocks space and passing options in transition, and Dest provides that. I have had high hope for Scally, but unfortunately he does not replace what Dest can do. A little experimentation at RB may be the way forward here for Berhalter.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
It's a big loss for us in Copa America, and it's not because of his defensive prowess. We lose a lot going forward on his side of the pitch. Sometimes just beating a man on the dibble unlocks space and passing options in transition, and Dest provides that. I have had high hope for Scally, but unfortunately he does not replace what Dest can do. A little experimentation at RB may be the way forward here for Berhalter.
I do wonder if Weah could be a potential answer.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
He has played there in the past for club teams, interesting choice for sure.
Exactly…I’m not sure that it’s really his natural spot, but we’ve got more options further up the field if he drops back. And I think he could potentially thrive there (it’s not like when we tried making Brek Shea an outside back).

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Exactly…I’m not sure that it’s really his natural spot, but we’ve got more options further up the field if he drops back. And I think he could potentially thrive there (it’s not like when we tried making Brek Shea an outside back).
The thing is do we want an attacking outside back for the S. American squads or do we want a more defensive minded one? I'm all for backs that can get forward and provide service, but they have to be able to defend at least a little bit. Like you said we have players who can fill his attacking role if they do drop him back. I like the move, but will GB try to bunker in against teams with superior talent this summer? I get it if he does as it's a common approach to take.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
The thing is do we want an attacking outside back for the S. American squads or do we want a more defensive minded one? I'm all for backs that can get forward and provide service, but they have to be able to defend at least a little bit. Like you said we have players who can fill his attacking role if they do drop him back. I like the move, but will GB try to bunker in against teams with superior talent this summer? I get it if he does as it's a common approach to take.

Gregg will overthink it and make strange moves we haven't even thought about.

The back four should be

Robinson
Richards
CCV
Scally

Others in the mix, Tim Weah, McKenzie, John Brooks, Trusty??, Ream if he isn't hurt.
We need solid defense IMHO

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Gregg will overthink it and make strange moves we haven't even thought about.

The back four should be

Robinson
Richards
CCV
Scally

Others in the mix, Tim Weah, McKenzie, John Brooks, Trusty??, Ream if he isn't hurt.
We need solid defense IMHO
Yep...still there.