Watch for yourself. Foster was on fire. link

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I don't see anything wrong with his defense. He had to hold up to not run into him.

S

seawaterland

He would have made it with Barry covering his eyes. In the Zone is for real.

AgDawg

May 24, 2006
When you watch it you understand there just isn't any way to better play defense short of blocking the shot and his unorthodox shots make it almost impossible to block. This is like the Butler game in the First Round.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Damn Stans for giving him all those wide open looks at the basket!!!

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Every shot they showed in that clip was contested. There is aboslutely nothing you can do when someone is on like that

TnDawg76

Feb 17, 2008
Any excuse you make is BS. The man was on fire. He could not have been stopped. I was there and saw it. Hands in the face, two men on him, deep three. Forget it, it didn't matter.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
I was referring to Stewart's position before Foster got that ball. He never should have dipped below the FT line. We should have been overplaying him. Oh well. Not much you can do.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
isn't any way to better play defense short of blocking the shot and
That is the thing. Foster is a great athlete. He knew we had nobody that could leap with him and block his shot. So, he was going up with confidence, fully concentrated on the basket, regardless of who was underneath him. In State's defense, he has hit some of those same shots vs UT and others.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
NBA included...Reggie Miller hitting 3 3's in like 18 seconds against the Knicks that time in the playoffs is about the only comparison I can make.

To go 9-9 with those type of 3 pt. attempts is absurd

patdog

May 28, 2007
You completely missed the sarcasm. I was poking fun at the posters who had been critical of our coaches doing nothing to defend him.

saltybulldog

Nov 15, 2005
Look on the bright side. Maybe we got our Butler/Xavier out of the way before tourney play starts.

Excuse Me Flo

Jun 4, 2007
The guy was on fire with guys all over him but my only concern (and give me hell if we did this I only could listen), but why keep putting stewart, hans, and gordon on him. The guy is 6 9. This is a case where I would have stuck RJ on him. The extra inches in height and length could have helped. Several times Ben and Barry were tight and close to blocking the shot, what would the extra 10+ inches in his height and reach made the difference?</p>

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
Those shots were sick. He knew who to give the credit to by pointing up after the win. You don't shoot threes like that unless the BIG MAN up above is giving you a little help!

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
Columbus Dawg said:
I was referring to Stewart's position before Foster got that ball. He never should have dipped below the FT line. We should have been overplaying him. Oh well. Not much you can do.

</p>Stewart should have been out there denying with him being one pass away as opposed to sagging. Foster still made a great shot, but denying the pass would have helped

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
We couldn't have played better defense than that, I don't care what anyone says. We had Rhodes out on the perimeter on that last play, and Stewart was practically inside Foster's jersey. The only thing we could have done was hit free throws. The guy was nearly out of bounds on one of those 3s on the wing.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
Why was Randy all the way down by the free throw line though? He should have been all over Foster before the ball even got to his hands. Randy screwed up, he should have never let Foster get the pass.

Mar 18, 2007
The guy that had the ball before Foster got clear for an open 3 and Barry pulled in to get the high rebound... Once he passed back to Foster Barry was quick to get back into position... There was nothing left for Barry to have done.. He knew if he pulled in to get the high board, the game was probably gonna be over... Instead, the game was still over... Just not to our liking...

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Stewart should've been draped on Foster and at that point, you just concede a two point basket if it results from overplaying. No need to help off of Foster. That shouldn't even happen during the course of the game at all. </p>

Mar 18, 2007
No way should it have happened... But, with a game as INTENSE as this one was, there is no way to tell what is about to happen... You just have to trust you instincts and hope they're right... In Barry's case, last night, his were (17)'ed...

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Yep, for most of the night there wasn't a lot that we could have, but the game winner was a breakdown. </p>

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
Man, that was sick. Foster in the video seemed to be drifting a bit toward the baseline. Stewart was on him. The guy that had the ball before Foster was quickly doubled or I think he might have taken the shot. By the way, Hans' final missed free throw got every bit of the rim before falling off.

The video did not show Jmoney stretched out on the court with cramps having a Gatorade while Stans ran an inbounds drill. I did hear the booing.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
while listening to Jack saying that we were in a 2/3 zone time after time with Foster continuing to bury 3's, I was pissed up until I saw that video. It brought back memories of all the games we have lost by packing the lane with a zone and giving up wide open 3's. But, we were all over that guy. On most of those shots only Varnado or a foul would have stopped him.

I'll add this too. The lost games from wide open 3 pointers that I'm referring to are from '06 and before. Stans has had them playing good D for the past couple of years.

Eureka Dog

Feb 25, 2008
ball and the Vandy player on the right wing, who, by the way, was WIDE open.

When we doubled the ball handler in the corner, he whipped it back to Foster. Barry got to him in time to contest the shot, but SF was unconscious last night. If Barry had denied SF the ball, I think the pass goes to the VU guy on the right wing.

I'm not sure, but this may have been a case of the VU coaching staff noticing a tendency of our team in these types of situations. Once we doubled the guy in the corner, he had his pick of who to pass to. His "read", was to notice whether or not Barry sagged off SF or played him tight. The play was well designed and the two options spaced themselves correctly on the wings. One of them was going to take the shot.

All-in-all considering the play VU ran, Barry played his position pretty well..

lanceharbor7

Feb 24, 2008
in that situation is a really hard foul on the arm hand, basically make it hurt. Damn the free throws. Other than trying that....Foster was unstoppable.

drunkernhelldawg

Nov 25, 2007
It hurt.

Basketball has that magic element sometimes. Abrakadabra. We lose.

"Life's a ***** and then you die." My most optimistic friend.