WBB: Five Things to Watch - #17 Georgia

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
29-10 Gamecocks lead after 1 quarter. Staiti picked up two early fouls, so she has to sit more than half of the 1st half, or risk picking up a 3rd foul.

Gamecocks 4-4 from the 3-pt. line in the 1st period.

Zia Cooke off to a hot start, with 8 pts on 3-4 shooting, and 2-2 behind the arc.

Boston already with 8 pts on 3-4 shooting, but with only 2 rebounds, so she needs to pick that half of the double-double up. With Staiti playing limits minutes, that should make things easier for her there......

Reactions: Brian Shoemaker

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
29-10 Gamecocks lead after 1 quarter. Staiti picked up two early fouls, so she has to sit more than half of the 1st half, or risk picking up a 3rd foul.

Gamecocks 4-4 from the 3-pt. line in the 1st period.

Zia Cooke off to a hot start, with 8 pts on 3-4 shooting, and 2-2 behind the arc.

Boston already with 8 pts on 3-4 shooting, but with only 2 rebounds, so she needs to pick that half of the double-double up. With Staiti playing limits minutes, that should make things easier for her there......
43-13 DAMN!!! JUST DAMN!!!!!

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
South Carolina leads 51-25 at the half. Staiti came back into the game after all - and scored all 9 of her 1st half pts in that time period. She also picked up no additional fouls, which was great for Georgia.

UGA's known as being a strong defensive team. I was expecting this game to be a low-scoring, ugly rockfight of a game, as many recent games have been. But South Carolina has scored rather freely in the 1st half - they were scoring north of 70% late in the game, and then had a offensive slump late in the 2nd qtr. with reserves in the game, and UGA went on a 10-0 scoring run of their own, before the Gamecocks closed the half on a 6-0 scoring run. They still shot 19-30 (63.3%) for the half, which is not what I was expecting against UGA.

Boston has 10 pts already in the game, but only 2 rebounds. She's had 16 consecutive double-doubles coming into today's game, and a 17th would put her 2 back behind Sylvia Fowles' SEC record. Aliyah has a lot of work to do on the boards in the 2nd half, but if the lead stays large like it is thus far, will she be given the chance to stay on the floor long enough??

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Gamecocks have a stumbling offensive quarter for the 3rd - they shot 5-15 (33.3%) - but perhaps this helped Boston to grab 6 rebounds in the period, and now has 8 boards to go with a game-leading 14 points. The Gamecocks lead 61-40 after three quarters, after getting out-scored 15-10 for the period. I'm sure Staley will let Aliyah play some in the 4th Qtr. to get those 2 more rebounds, especially if UGA continues to make the run they are on.....

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Gamecocks win 72-54. UGA out-scored USC 29-21 in the 2nd half, and the game looked more like the rockfight I was expecting. Boston still got her 17th consecutive double-double with 18 pts on 7-14 shooting, and 12 rebounds.

Jenna Staiti never picked up a 3rd foul, and finished with 15 pts and 10 rebounds. The game had a different dynamic when Staiti was able to stay in the game......

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Georgia actually outrebounded Carolina. :oops:

Oh well, what do I know? lol

Carolina guards played really well today. They were hitting shots, which meant less opportunities for offensive rebounds.

• Wow
Reactions: Gamekem

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Georgia actually outrebounded Carolina. :oops:

Oh well, what do I know? lol

Carolina guards played really well today. They were hitting shots, which meant less opportunities for offensive rebounds.
First time in 58 games, stats are important UNLESS they aren’t. On the flip side we caused all those turnovers and Henny had 0 ZERO 0 turnovers in 32 minutes.

Reactions: DarkCock

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
First time in 58 games, stats are important UNLESS they aren’t. On the flip side we caused all those turnovers and Henny had 0 ZERO 0 turnovers in 32 minutes.
I believe we were outrebounded by Stanford this season, but it hasn't happened very often since Boston stepped on campus. Not only did Henny play well, but so did Zia. She had 5 assists and zero turnovers in 34 minutes. She also guarded Barker, which caught me by surprise. She was locked in today. Love to see it.

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
Boston is amazing. she was paired up against a massive Yeti of a human. Their Center is massive. And a really good shooter with a soft touch.
But our Center played really hard and prevailed. Is she the G.O.A.T. in the making??
Rivers and Hall love to slash to the basket and are going to be prolific scorers. That mid range jumper can ruin best laid plans to pack the paint and double up Boston. Love Saxons play as well. Go Cocks. Leading indicators of future success are in place.