We broke Vandy...

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
There's nothing special about Corbin.

False. He and Paul Manieri helped found the Lollipop Guild.
Wizard Of Oz Film GIF

patdog

May 28, 2007
NIL broke Vandy. When the playing field is even, they will settle back to the same level they are in football. Peabody College can't compete without scholly advantages and it's showing. There's nothing special about Corbin.
Exactly. They were already broke. Let’s see how good Corbin is with a level playing field.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
How was Vandy paying players in pre-NIL days? Honestly don’t really know. Was it academic or leadership scholarship?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
How was Vandy paying players in pre-NIL days? Honestly don’t really know. Was it academic or leadership scholarship?
Free tuition for anyone with need is my understanding, so they got to spread the 11.7 over the good players who didn’t have “need” to effectively have 25+ scholarships

Reactions: Anon1697564126

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I reeeeally look forward to their slow and dismal fall from the upper echelon of college baseball to the putrid depths of their football team. I especially look forward to that whistling SOB getting a case of syphilis on his lower lip and having to have it removed. At that point I hope to see him sipping on shatty milkshakes for the rest of his life

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
NIL broke Vandy. When the playing field is even, they will settle back to the same level they are in football. Peabody College can't compete without scholly advantages and it's showing. There's nothing special about Corbin.
I've been saying this for years! Especially anytime someone on this board talked about wanting to throw a huge contract offer at him to steal him from Vandy.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Vandy folks criticize Corbin for not embracing the portal. They get a lot of top 100 prospects to campus under him but other SEC programs are using NIL to get more finished products in the lineup. He’s talked the last few years that they have an admissions gauntlet with transfers but they are utilizing it with football and basketball so the egg is kind of on his face.

I’m friends with quite a few baseball only Vandy fans and they’re the proverbial frogs in boiling water. Never would acknowledge their previous advantage so it’s kind of hard to admit when it’s been mitigated, but they’re coming around.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Free tuition for anyone with need is my understanding, so they got to spread the 11.7 over the good players who didn’t have “need” to effectively have 25+ scholarships
I don't disagree, but you know every SEC school also does it in some way or another. We give academic and leadership scholarships and spread our 11.7 as well so most of our guys have a full ride. I don't know why everyone thinks Vandy was somehow at an advantage when you look at total scholly numbers. Doesn't matter how the money comes down, just that it comes down.

• Sad

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't disagree, but you know every SEC school also does it in some way or another. We give academic and leadership scholarships and spread our 11.7 as well so most of our guys have a full ride. I don't know why everyone thinks Vandy was somehow at an advantage when you look at total scholly numbers. Doesn't matter how the money comes down, just that it comes down.
Everyone else had to use academic scholarships to supplement athletic scholarships. Vandy had access to a lot of general, non-academic, scholarship money that other schools just didn't have.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You could not use academic scholarships to supplement athletic scholarships until 4 years ago. So Vandy would offer “needs” kids a full ride with no athletic money bc their endowment is so large. And that money didn’t count against the 11.7. That then allowed them to give much larger percentages to non-needs kids.

While many schools just had to offer a fraction of an athletic scholarship bc any academic money added would count against the 11.7.

Now those schools can offer a 25% athletic scholarship and pair it with a 75% academic scholarship. And the 75% doesn’t count against the 11.7. It’s a huge change.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
You could not use academic scholarships to supplement athletic scholarships until 4 years ago. So Vandy would offer “needs” kids a full ride with no athletic money bc their endowment is so large. And that money didn’t count against the 11.7. That then allowed them to give much larger percentages to non-needs kids.

While many schools just had to offer a fraction of an athletic scholarship bc any academic money added would count against the 11.7.

Now those schools can offer a 25% athletic scholarship and pair it with a 75% academic scholarship. And the 75% doesn’t count against the 11.7. It’s a huge change.
This… and the determination of the “needs” kids were/are solely at the discretion of the private scholarship administrators at Peabody College. So a kid who didn’t qualify for any grants at a public institution might suddenly find himself with a full ride to Vandy if he could throw 95 from the left.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

AND…..now we can also use NIL to make up the difference - which is generated by big fanbases. Vandy does not have a big fanbase thus their NIL is minimal compared to others. Can they pay? Yeah, maybe, but they don’t, because they don’t care. Maybe they’ll get their act together soon because perhaps they have a few alumni who now have gotten spoiled and like baseball, but either way it’s still a level playing field.

In the old system, they were a poster child of a liberal city in America - used their 11.7 and their academic reputation to recruit the elite, rich players, and used need-based aid to fill out their roster with poorer players. No real middle class. And it was a winning formula - until now.

Are they still better than most programs? Probably. But not in the SEC where MSU, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee and others are willing to use NIL.

Reactions: 8dog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Vandy will be fine. They dont use NIL to get big transfers but they get the best high school talent in the country.. and corbin isnt going to all of a sudden forget how to develop talent. That wont change. They are extremely young. They have 5-6 non draft eligbile guys getting major innings now including 3 freshman.. and another 4-5 guys that will be back next year in the their order. Their 2 best hittters are sophomores.

They've were due a down year to reload. They had an amazing 4 year run from 2012-2016. Then 2017 and 2018 they had to rebuild the roster due to youth. They had another amazing run from 2019-present. They'll reload and be back.

The rich people arent going to care about NIL. That vandy education is important to those type people. Its not going to effect them as much as people hope it will. And they'll be fine as long as Corbin is there.

• Sad

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Don't care what anyone says NIL is going to level the playing field.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Don't care what anyone says NIL is going to level the playing field.
Not for us. Our playing field is still on the wrong side of the tracks. We will further separate from CUSA and Sunbelt type teams but we aren't making up any ground against the Bama's and Texas's of the world.

Oct 17, 2023
I reeeeally look forward to their slow and dismal fall from the upper echelon of college baseball to the putrid depths of their football team. I especially look forward to that whistling SOB getting a case of syphilis on his lower lip and having to have it removed. At that point I hope to see him sipping on shatty milkshakes for the rest of his life
17 that. No slow fall, I want them in the gutter now and for ever.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
This… and the determination of the “needs” kids were/are solely at the discretion of the private scholarship administrators at Peabody College. So a kid who didn’t qualify for any grants at a public institution might suddenly find himself with a full ride to Vandy if he could throw 95 from the left.
I'm certain I read somewhere that "Opportunity Vanderbilt" also allows these kids to claim either parent's income, and count only salary...not assets.