Well.. there’s a QB now on the portal. Will Leach show any interest?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

As Perd pointed out, he got a knee

If healthy, he's a good one, and I agree we should try and get him

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
There are better choices in the portal. I would rather see a 4 star running back or DL or safety than a QB that couldn't get on the field at Michigan
Well he did “get on the field”. He did lead Michigan to the playoff last year. After they beat Ohio State for the first time in 8 seasons.

if that knee is ok. Jus sayin.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There are better choices in the portal. I would rather see a 4 star running back or DL or safety than a QB that couldn't get on the field at Michigan

The last 2 Big 10 QB transfers to the SEC that “couldn’t get on the field” at their old school….one (Joe Burrow) had the greatest ever single season in college football history and became the first overall pick in the NFL draft. The other (Will Levis) will also be a first or 2nd round pick this year.

Not saying McNamara has that same ceiling, but him losing his starting job for the #2 team in the country (after starting an entire season for a CFP team) is not a good reason at all not to take him.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The last 2 Big 10 QB transfers to the SEC that “couldn’t get on the field” at their old school….one (Joe Burrow) had the greatest ever single season in college football history and became the first overall pick in the NFL draft. The other (Will Levis) will also be a first or 2nd round pick this year.

Not saying McNamara has that same ceiling, but him losing his starting job for the #2 team in the country (after starting an entire season for a CFP team) is not a good reason at all not to take him.
Levis isn't very special but Burrows certainly was. 15 touchdowns and 6 picks doesn't impress me. But maybe we will waste a scholarship on him. If he was a walk on that would be cool but I don't see going after a QB that almost surely isn't going to start over Will or Sawyer. Plus he ain't no runner

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Levis isn't very special but Burrows certainly was. 15 touchdowns and 6 picks doesn't impress me. But maybe we will waste a scholarship on him. If he was a walk on that would be cool but I don't see going after a QB that almost surely isn't going to start over Will or Sawyer. Plus he ain't no runner
Neither is Will. That's the point. Will is our starter next year unless we get a portal senior. And there won't be any true dual threat QBs in the portal (who can throw accurately) because they are so valuable. If you want that, you'll have to wait on Chris Parson.

Levis has been hurt, if not for that he'd have run more and been better.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

I never thought I would have seen the day where a QB that led Michigan to the 21’ Big Ten title and 21’ CFB playoff would be a waste of a scholly at MSU.

I think a few of us need to go back and rewatch the Alabama game, the LSU game, the Kentucky game, and the egg bowl and see just how solid we currently are at QB.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I never thought I would have seen the day where a QB that led Michigan to the 21’ Big Ten title and 21’ CFB playoff would be a waste of a scholly at MSU.

I think a few of us need to go back and rewatch the Alabama game, the LSU game, the Kentucky game, and the egg bowl and see just how solid we currently are at QB.
Well maybe Leach will get him and then we can see which is starting next fall. Hell, maybe he would beat Will out but I just do not think so. I have more confidence that Sawyer would beat him out than this guy. But thats just me.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Regarding Levis, thats silly. He’s had a higher passer rating and Y/A than Will both last year and this year. His issue is Stoops runs a 1993 offense that doesn’t feature the QB. But he would absolutely kill it in Leach’s offense, and is still going to be a first round pick in the NFL draft.

As for McNamara, he was a 4* 91 rated QB by 247, and was the #7 pro style QB in the country. He’s got a much bigger arm and more athleticism than Rogers. He may not have the same accuracy. If he doesn’t, who cares? We stick with Will in that case and we still have a pretty high floor. He’ll only be here a year. There’s no way we couldn’t make room for him.

Its all moot though, because he isn’t going somewhere with an incumbent multi-year starter.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If I was going to get a qb in portal it would be one that can scramble and run for 20-30 yards and make plays out of the pocket or one that knows how to step up in the pocket rather than running backwards and falling down

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Not SEC, but the guy that sort of sucked at Indiana last year transferred to Washington this year and showed the F out. Pennix or however you spell it.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Altmeyer was higher rated coming out of high school than McNamara and he is a hometown boy.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

He was 12-2 as their starter last year when they won their first Big Ten title under Jim Harbaugh and were in the College Football Playoff. In 14 games, he threw for 2,576 yards and 15 touchdowns with six interceptions. I'd say he did a little more than "get on the field"

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Altmeyer was higher rated coming out of high school than McNamara and he is a hometown boy.

Except the writing is already on the wall with Altmyer….Kiffin didn’t see him as the future which is why he went after Dart, whereas McNamara was able to start at a much more elite school for a season and a half.

That being said, I’d be fine with either of them (or anyone else, really) if Leach sees someone who fits. But I think its going to be super difficult without being able to guarantee the job to someone.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Maybe Malik Hornsby should get a look. Yall would have a runner then. That cat can scoot. And yeah Peeper, you are right. He carried them thru that season. And they run that wide open passing attack. 2500 whole yards. Amazing. And only 6 interceptions. He could step right in and take us to the promised land

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I know Will has serious limitations but remember these are the numbers to beat out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221128-171336_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221128-171336_Chrome.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 15

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Anybody thinkin' Leach ain't lookin' at this guy and evaluating the situation is Retarded. Anybody think he don't have a chance if he makes a push for the young man is also Retarded.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It’s two different offensive philosophies. Will has broke Dak’s passing records. Who are we calling the better qb there?
Dak is obviously the better QB but this is the system we run. Any QB here has to fit this system and be able to operate it. Do you think Dak was an accurate enough passer to operate this system as a junior ??

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
From my understanding this is a good window to get in due to coaches having an opportunity to check players out before bowl preparations and the December early signing period. There are a lot of good players available

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
I don't even know what these numbers are ? Rushing stats ? We don't run the RPO
Thought it was pretty obvious.
Rushing
Attempts
Yards - way negative

We don't have to run a RPO to see there is no elusiveness at all currently. The eye test says that, the stats say that.
Those should be considered along with passing stats when evaluating a QB. They both contribute to the success of an offense or lack thereof.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Seems like I remember a lot of folks here crying about how Sawyer was gonna transfer out if he wasn't getting playing time and how Leach was an idiot for taking chance losing all these 4 star QBs we have. Now people are clamoring for somebody elses back up QB to be brought in and stuck in front of Sawyer. I guess we will wait and see what the coaches think. If they sign one I eould say that means they don't think Sawyer is gonna work out and is a bust. Maybe he will sign Malik Hornsby and we can accumulate some rushing yards from the position.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’m pretty sure you have to enter the portal prior to December 5, but I could be wrong on that date, so…
That would make sense. I would want to be part of a team with a National Championship opportunity, but I guess other things are more important to him.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
So the two 4 or 5* QBS on the roster aren’t any good? All the talk has been how Leach signed two kids from Texas and that Robertson was the next big thing. So based on various opinions Leach should get a QB from the portal who may or may not beat out Rogers and potential lose 2 other QBS with the hope Parsons works out. Good plan****.