What’s the condition of the golf course you play on a regular basis?

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
How long is your golf season up there?
Roughly six months, but the beginning and end are very spotty. Generally, April and October are "day-to-day" for most courses, but October snows don't melt off as quickly as April snows. May and September are generally golfable but both months will still have occasional snow closures and frequent morning frost delays.

Reactions: KingWard

scbeachboy

Feb 22, 2022
I'm not a golfer but my best friend is a very good golfer and he keeps me informed of the state of the golf "industry". He says a major problem public (and some private) courses face is unrealistic expectations by golfers. Golfers watch tournaments on tv and see very expensive courses that have been coddled into near perfect tournament condition and they set that as their expectation of how all courses should look and play. Courses are astronomically expensive to maintain, even courses that are not in great shape are expensive to maintain. Labor costs alone can easily run into many hundreds of thousands of dollars a year at a small course. Equipment, fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, carts, water (if a course doesn't have an adequate on site water supply), fuel for equipment, etc. all add up to make operating a golf course at any sort of profit a daunting task.

A private club with 500 members paying $600 a month in dues enjoys $3.6 million in revenue from dues alone every year. They also have revenue from food and beverage, pro shop sales and guest and cart fees. Even with those revenue streams, most private clubs are lucky to break even each year and frequently have to turn to assessments for capital improvements. Public courses rely on green fees, cart rental fees and what little clubhouse sales they can muster to try and show some sort of profit. I think it something of a minor miracle that any public courses are able to stay open.
As a retired golf professional this pretty much hits the nail on the head,

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
As a retired golf professional this pretty much hits the nail on the head,
I had a golf course management person tell me the same thing. That big old asset is out there eating up resources whether the weather is fair of foul. It's hard to make money on a golfing operation.

Reactions: scbeachboy

WendellGee

Joined Jan 1, 2022
Jan 23, 2022
Lancaster Golf Club is in generally good condition, but several greens have been spot-treated with pre-emergent herbicide for some non-Bermuda grass. Hopefully, they will come around after the yearly aeration later this spring.
Probably post emergent. Pre em isn't going to touch weeds that are already present.

wob

Jan 20, 2022
I had a golf course management person tell me the same thing. That big old asset is out there eating up resources whether the weather is fair of foul. It's hard to make money on a golfing operation.
If you have a period of bad weather, that revenue is gone forever. You can't make it back up.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
If you have a period of bad weather, that revenue is gone forever. You can't make it back up.
That's essentially correct. Some people will play a round sooner or later in place of the one they originally intended to play on the rainy day, but the loss is unlikely to be close to offset.

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
All of the courses in SW Montana are still very much in early spring conditions. The greens are in good shape, but shaggier and slower than they will be in a month or so. The fairways are starting to green up, but morning lows are still sometimes in the 20s, so they are just now coming out of dormancy. Weather-wise, it's still hit or miss for golf. We hit the 60s over the weekend, but the highs tomorrow and Wednesday are forecasted to be 38 and 40. Then, by Friday and Saturday, we should be back into the upper 60s.
TL;DR

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Probably post emergent. Pre em isn't going to touch weeds that are already present.
Could be; I just know the term that was used. This was at the end of the winter, before summer grasses started jumping, but I'm no agronomist. Maybe our greenskeeper isn't, either. We do have some noticeable encroachment issues. We are punching and sanding today and tomorrow, about three weeks earlier than usual.

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
Golf is for old men and rich white boys.
It’s no secret that golf is dominated by rich, white men ,likely because they’re the only demographic with personalities equipped to enjoy such an activity. Up until recently, I didn’t realize how much they control the industry.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
It’s no secret that golf is dominated by rich, white men ,likely because they’re the only demographic with personalities equipped to enjoy such an activity. Up until recently, I didn’t realize how much they control the industry.
I'm a blue collar golfer who has played a good semi-private course since 1977. Moreover, I am surrounded by blue collar golfers.

Reactions: will110

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I'm a blue collar golfer who has played a good semi-private course since 1977. Moreover, I am surrounded by blue collar golfers.
There are a lot of blue collar golfers and a lot of courses tailored for them. They know the courses they play aren't going to be mistaken for the Augusta National. If all courses were kept to the standard of the high end courses, 90+% of them would go out of business because very few people would be able to afford to play on them.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
There are a lot of blue collar golfers and a lot of courses tailored for them. They know the courses they play aren't going to be mistaken for the Augusta National. If all courses were kept to the standard of the high end courses, 90+% of them would go out of business because very few people would be able to afford to play on them.
People don't appreciate that, for every Quail Hollow, there are scores to hundreds of Fox Creeks.

Reactions: Uscg1984

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
Played Wildwood in Northeast Columbia yesterday.
Not counting playing in Arizona this past February the greens were some of the best I’ve played and fairways were excellent. However, the traps are some of the worse I’ve seen outside of Cobblestone Park.

Latest posts