What is the purpose of spring games anymore?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They have never carried much significance in terms of what you can learn about the team. We all know that. But they used to at least give the illusion of being a game. At one point the pendulum swung towards trying to turn the spring games into a spectacle with the games being televised and doing things to try to drum up attendance numbers for the games. Now it seems the pendulum has swung the opposite direction. The games in some cases are barely even scrimmages. Ole Miss had a dunk contest at their game. I caught a part of the Ohio State game and Ryan day had an extended 10 minute plus conversation with ESPN when he wasn’t even watching the game, which tells you how important it is.

It’s purportedly for the fans, but they have become as uninteresting as can be. In the past, some people have floated the possibility of scrimmaging against an FCS team or something for the spring game. Even in the NFL they do inter-squad preseason scrimmages.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
They have never carried much significance in terms of what you can learn about the team. We all know that. But they used to at least give the illusion of being a game. At one point the pendulum swung towards trying to turn the spring games into a spectacle with the games being televised and doing things to try to drum up attendance numbers for the games. Now it seems the pendulum has swung the opposite direction. The games in some cases are barely even scrimmages. Ole Miss had a dunk contest at their game. I caught a part of the Ohio State game and Ryan day had an extended 10 minute plus conversation with ESPN when he wasn’t even watching the game, which tells you how important it is.

It’s purportedly for the fans, but they have become as uninteresting as can be. In the past, some people have floated the possibility of scrimmaging against an FCS team or something for the spring game. Even in the NFL they do inter-squad preseason scrimmages.
If televised, it represents another opportunity for ESPN, Fox to sell more advertising.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If televised, it represents another opportunity for ESPN, Fox to sell more advertising.
That’s about it, I guess. Though I can’t imagine many people care to watch. From some of what I saw in the spring games, they did extensive interviews with coaches and weren’t even really showing the game for several minutes at a time.

just interesting how, back when Spurrier was here, there was kind of a revived interest in spring games and really making them a big deal. Now nobody really cares.

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
I care - I go every year if I can. Only chance to see football in person for months, get to see new players, etc. it’s fun you should try it. I’ll be there.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
When did spring games become a big deal for fans? As a kid in 1980s, I vaguely recall hearing of people attending spring games, but I don't recall them being televised events until the late 90s or early 2000s. It seems like that's when fans started developing expectations for the event.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
When did spring games become a big deal for fans? As a kid in 1980s, I vaguely recall hearing of people attending spring games, but I don't recall them being televised events until the late 90s or early 2000s. It seems like that's when fans started developing expectations for the event.
I’m sure you recall. Back when they started televising them and really trying to make them an event. Teams were even trying to “sell out” their stadiums and be the team that had the biggest attendance for the spring game.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
From what I saw I will give Lane Kiffen credit because his actually looked really fun and cool. Way outside the box and I think the players and fans liked it a lot. Props to him on truly making it a fun event.
the spring game is dull as dirt if they just scrimmage with no tackling or touching qb and stuff like that. What really do you see in those?

upstategc

Joined Jul 31, 2007
Jan 25, 2022

I agree. I've been to a several many years ago during the early Spurrier years and have never been back. I don't know what could be tweaked to make it interesting and worth the fans time to go anymore.... at least fans like me.

Jan 24, 2022

Halter tops

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
The Bama faithful must not have much to do. They had 72K at their game this weekend. :unsure:

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
I remember a few years ago, UGA had some rapper perform at their spring game. Then, all his demands came out and UGA got a little egg on their face. But, set attendance record for a spring game.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I went to one Carolina spring game when I was in school (2002 spring game) and never wasted my time on it again
Same. I went to the 2014 spring game and have never gone back. Don't watch on TV either. They're a serious waste of time and energy, at least from a fan perspective.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Joined Jul 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022

I used to love the spring games. But, not so much anymore.
Halter tops
COE, I think I first met you at a USC Spring Game. I used to love the spring games and didn't miss one for years.

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
The big schools always have a ton of fans at their games. Some of our fans are good at finding reasons not to go. Think it may matter to some recruits- may think it reflects how important football is to the fan base.

Feb 24, 2024
Maybe this is a reason spring games aren't compelling:

"Planning on doing a draft, not quite sure how we’re gonna set up, who does the drafting and who’s on, who are the coaches. I’m working through all that right now, but kind of got a preliminary plan."

- Shane Beamer, 04/15/2024

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Maybe this is a reason spring games aren't compelling:

"Planning on doing a draft, not quite sure how we’re gonna set up, who does the drafting and who’s on, who are the coaches. I’m working through all that right now, but kind of got a preliminary plan."

- Shane Beamer, 04/15/2024

If it's not important to Shane it's hard to expect it to be important to the fans.

Feb 24, 2024
The Bama faithful must not have much to do. They had 72K at their game this weekend. :unsure:
I’m sure you recall. Back when they started televising them and really trying to make them an event. Teams were even trying to “sell out” their stadiums and be the team that had the biggest attendance for the spring game.

Texas, for all their rabid fandom, 600k alumni, 2.5M population of Austin, coming off a playoff appearance, and Arch Manning on the field, only had ~30k at DKR yesterday for the Orange-White game. Sparse seating in the pic below.

1000011901.jpg

Attachments

• 1000011900.jpg
    1000011900.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
Don't know what some of you were expecting out of a spring game. Watching on TV, you probably got nothing. For those that attended, it was a time to meet up with old friends, let the kiddies have fun, eat some good food and enjoy the fireworks. For the young players and recruits, it was a scaled down version of being in WB stadium.

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
Outside of a good tailgate why would one want to go watch. I have said for years they need to turn it into a 7 on 7 on both ends of the field.

SuperCock99

Dec 11, 2023
They are glorified practices and a show for the fans.
As a Carolina fan you never know what we have until we line up against an opponent in an actual game.
There was one year where I though man our offense is fire. 🔥 Then ff several months. Our offense wasn’t fire. Our defense was so bad that it made a mediocre offense look great.

Latest posts