When Butch leaves...

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,859
3,000
113
Dunno but about his potential departure....

Who do you think we'll hire to take his place?

A shot at a HC job in the SEC is a no brainer. He'd take it in a heartbeat. So if AU offers, its goodbye.

I think he would also look at a HC job just about anywhere and maybe even a lateral move in an equivalent program. After all, his bosses chair is pretty hot right now and thus by default, so is his.
 

dickiedawg

All-Conference
Feb 22, 2008
4,583
1,523
113
Didn't butch turn down the Georgia job when it was open last? Or did I imagine that?

Cohen's seat is not hot right now.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,542
31,800
113
I doubt he turned the Georgia job down. And John Cohen definitely doesn't need a repeat of last year.
 

engie

Sophomore
May 29, 2011
10,763
106
63
Butch and baseball work a bit different. I wouldn't say his fate is directly tied to Cohen at MSU, because I believe it likely that any potential next guy would see the same thing I see in him...

My opinion remains that he's the best pitching coach in the country FOR MSU, and we haven't reached his ceiling here. Is he perfect? No. Would I like him to do a few things differently? Sure. Even with the anomaly that was last year for us on the hill, he's in very elite company statistically across college baseball...
 

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,859
3,000
113
We had single digit SEC wins last year.....

Didn't butch turn down the Georgia job when it was open last? Or did I imagine that?

Cohen's seat is not hot right now.

Finished dead last and looked worse doing it. This is at a program that supposedly values BB more than most and is two years removed from a #2 finish. His seat is on fire as far as I am concerned.

About turning down the UGA job, don't remember anything about that.
 
Last edited:

dickiedawg

All-Conference
Feb 22, 2008
4,583
1,523
113
Yeah no crap he can't stand a repeat of last year. Urban Meyer couldn't stand going 2-10 two straight years but that doesn't mean his seat is hot after the first one.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,183
5,725
113
Finished dead last and looked worse doing it. This is at a program that supposedly values BB more than most and is two years removed from a #2 finish. His seat is on fire as far as I am concerned.

Which is one of the primary reasons his seat is not even warm as far as the people that make decisions are concerned. It'll be a different story if he repeats this year, but right now, he's completely safe.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Baseball "This is Home": 2028 OF Axton Westmoreland commits to Mississippi State
  2. 02 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State MBK Assistants speak on size and length added to 26-27 squad
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "Go make the play": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby on Defense and responding to Alabama game
  4. 04 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State WBK to play exhibition at Choctaw Central HS
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting WR Darion Moseley backs off pledge to Arkansas, has Big Ten and SEC schools on his list