When did you last take pride in being a Penn Stater?

When did you last take pride in being a Penn Stater?

• 1999, before MINNY. [insert the face here]

• 2016 (b1g championship)

• 2024 (wrestling, new art museum opening)

• Before visiting this message board

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

IBeBlockin

Dec 28, 2022
It would have been when Paterno was still on the sidelines. Since I am old enough to have witnessed the evolution of Penn State actually becoming something under Paterno, it is more certain to me now than ever before that Paterno and Penn State were one and the same. Frankly, when he died, so died the perception of Penn State as a special place.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I never stopped. Even in the darkest times.
Same. I owe a lot to Penn State. I’m the first college graduate in my blue collar family and PSU gave me an opportunity to make a better life for myself that I appreciate every day. I also met a gorgeous girl there that I wake up next to everyday. Without PSU, I would have never met her. All these years later, I’m pretty proud and thankful for the life PSU has given me.

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
The last time? Probably about three hours ago when I put on one of my PSU pullovers to go outside.

Like many here, I think i can go two weeks straight (at least) wearing a PSU jersey without wearing the same item twice.

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
I am always proud to be a Nittany lion. I was never a great student due to terrible undiagnosed ADHD. I worked my rear off to get decent grades and a degree in the highly sought logistics field. It’s great when people in my business recognize the value of a PSU logistics degree.

Everything related to Sandusky is a terrible stain I wish had never happened…..to the lives ruined, the University’s image to the Paterno family. I don’t feel shame because there is nothing I could have done about it.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
You know, I didn’t attend Penn State. But today I was walking into my daughter’s regional track meet (Bragging time: 4th in the 200 and a PR, 1st in the 100 and a PR by .21 second!!!) and as I walk in a guy says, “There’s he is, the Penn State guy!” because I am always wearing something with Penn State on it. I responded with a, “We are!”. So I guess my answer would be about 4 hours ago.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I was there for the 2 championships, so always. Also I should add being back on campus for 1 n 2s 6 year run, with their State mom, was so fvcking special. I had more good times with my sons than I did on my run (I HATED the academics) HATED
as for football, I embrace the now and forever 8-4

NittanyEric

Oct 31, 2021
Always proud. Good times and bad times. Ups and downs. Wins and losses. Obviously disappointed and critical of somethings. But still impressed by plenty of others. Penn State is not perfect. But neither am I. So we are a good fit.

It has always felt like a 2nd home to me. I had wonderful years there from 87 to 91. And i still feel exited when I see Beaver Stadium in the distance when I return.

My daughter is a Jr there now. And we cheered on the baseball team’s sweep of Maryland to make the Big10 tournament yesterday. That is quality time right there.

For the record, she is very proud to be a Penn State student. I love her perspective on the the great aspects of Penn State. And the things that can be improved. But she is having a wonderful experience. Just like her Dad did.

And like someone already mentioned, show me the community that greets each other with a “we are…”. There are plenty of proud Penn Staters out there. Imperfections and all.

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
You know, I didn’t attend Penn State. But today I was walking into my daughter’s regional track meet (Bragging time: 4th in the 200 and a PR, 1st in the 100 and a PR by .21 second!!!) and as I walk in a guy says, “There’s he is, the Penn State guy!” because I am always wearing something with Penn State on it. I responded with a, “We are!”. So I guess my answer would be about 4 hours ago.
What drew you to root and be proud of PSU?

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
I will agree with that date, although, for various reasons, my unabashed love for the place began to decline a few years earlier. Today, with abysmal leadership, declining academic rankings, and a general malaise that pervades the entire University system, I see no reason for pride. I do have fond memories of my time there, and of 40 years of football season tickets, but Penn State is no longer the place I remember. Perhaps it never was.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I will agree with that date, although, for various reasons, my unabashed love for the place began to decline a few years earlier. Today, with abysmal leadership, declining academic rankings, and a general malaise that pervades the entire University system, I see no reason for pride. I do have fond memories of my time there, and of 40 years of football season tickets, but Penn State is no longer the place I remember. Perhaps it never was.
Schit is too deep for sat nite fair, rewrite that

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Everyday, the people who don’t take pride in this great university are the problem.
No, we are not. The problem is people who fail to realize that this is a University in decline and make no effort to change that. Now, with that said, I will exit the thread and head off to dinner. I have nothing of a positive nature to add and my pessimistic posts tend to become tedious.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Agree almost completely. I say "almost" because it was indeed at one time the place you remember. Things change I guess.

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021
No, we are not. The problem is people who fail to realize that this is a University in decline and make no effort to change that. Now, with that said, I will exit the thread and head off to dinner. I have nothing of a positive nature to add and my pessimistic posts tend to become tedious.
You can say that again your pessimism sucks, this university does amazing things every single day. The reason it does amazing things are the students and the administration. Pretty arrogant thinking students were somehow superior in the past.

pamdlion

Dec 2, 2021
I've never been not proud of being a Penn Stater, but it hardly ranks with being a father, grandfather or veteran.

Those things define me far more than where I went to college does.
Much respect. I’m one, hope to be one and not one.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
You can say that again your pessimism sucks, this university does amazing things every single day. The reason it does amazing things are the students and the administration. Pretty arrogant thinking students were somehow superior in the past.
No doubt Penn State does amazing things every day. The problem is that most of our brethren in the BigTen do more. In the 2024 US News Academic Rankings, when ranking all 18 schools in the BigTen, we are 14th. 14 out of 18, ahead of only Indiana, Iowa, Oregon and Nebraska. Perhaps that is a source of great pride for some, but not me. We will never be a Michigan or a Northwestern, but is being ranked ahead of Michigan State, Maryland, Minnesota, OSU, and Rutgers asking too much?
One more point. US News ranks us 193rd in best value schools. You mentioned the administration as being one of the reasons Penn State is doing great things. I don't think many here would agree with you on that one, but if they are capable of doing great things perhaps bringing down the cost of tuition is within their reach. Penn State is now the most expensive flagship public university in the country.
Finally, I admire your pride in Dear Old State. Really, I do. I once felt that way. Perhaps someday I will again. Maybe if we can pass Michigan State, Minnesota, and Maryland......

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Every time you walk by someone when you are wearing PSU gear and they say…”We Are”

Name another school like that.
When you walk by someone you suspect is a Penn State affiliated member........ring out...FOR THE GLORY....