When did you last take pride in being a Penn Stater?

When did you last take pride in being a Penn Stater?

• 1999, before MINNY. [insert the face here]

• 2016 (b1g championship)

• 2024 (wrestling, new art museum opening)

• Before visiting this message board

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
And PSU no longer requires an SAT score. How many even dumber kids does PSU admit? 😞

PSU’s student statistics used to rank better. 😞
U.S. News ranked the best public universities. In the old BiG:
  1. #3 Michigan
  2. #12 Illinois
  3. #12 Wisconsin (tie)
  4. #15 Rutgers
  5. #17 OSU
  6. #17 Purdue (tie)
  7. #19 Maryland
  8. #23 Minnesota
  9. #28 Michigan State
  10. #28 Penn State (tie)
I know that a lot of factors go into these rankings but it seems like PSU has fallen while the cost of attendance has risen. I think a lot of students would disagree that they're getting what they're paying for.

2024 Top Public Colleges & Universities | US News Rankings

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
U.S. News ranked the best public universities. In the old BiG:
  1. #3 Michigan
  2. #12 Illinois
  3. #12 Wisconsin (tie)
  4. #15 Rutgers
  5. #17 OSU
  6. #17 Purdue (tie)
  7. #19 Maryland
  8. #23 Minnesota
  9. #28 Michigan State
  10. #28 Penn State (tie)
I know that a lot of factors go into these rankings but it seems like PSU has fallen while the cost of attendance has risen. I think a lot of students would disagree that they're getting what they're paying for.

2024 Top Public Colleges & Universities | US News Rankings

When did the FREE. FALL. o_O start? 2011-2012 when the sh|t hit the fan? Under barren’s leaderering?

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
You can’t require the SAT if you need to admit a couple of thousand extra out of state students so that you get the extra tuition money
Why can't out of state students take standardized tests?

Also, I don't understand why out of state students would cause higher tuition for in state students.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Why can't out of state students take standardized tests?

Also, I don't understand why out of state students would cause higher tuition for in state students.

It‘s been said that Penn State-University Park has increased the proportion of out-of-state undergraduate students by lowering its admissions standards. This has been done to increase the tuition dollars coming in. So, more dummies, more dollars.

😞

Reactions: Nits74 and Bison13

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
It‘s been said that Penn State-University Park has increased the proportion of out-of-state undergraduate students by lowering its admissions standards. This has been done to increase the tuition dollars coming in. So, more dummies, more dollars.

😞
I don't support lower standards for anybody. Does that make me a racist, xenophobe, or something even worse?

Thorndike2021

Oct 12, 2021
I don't support lower standards for anybody. Does that make me a racist, xenophobe, or something even worse?
Of course.

I taught undergraduates for more than 20 years. The last couple of years I was getting emails and calls from deans when a student was given a failing grade. It was an 'indirect' sort of pressure to NOT fail students.

Yes, dean, I understand that a failing grade will cause this 'student's' financial aid to be put on hold or lost. That is not my concern. My concern begins and ends when the 'student' doesn't finish projects, doesn't show up for the final exam, etc. I had enough and retired.

A LOT of these people should never have been allowed into any sort of college, other than to sweep up or some other useful tasks. Sadly, many of them would screw that up too, and expect additional pay and much more time off.

NEPA Lion

Nov 2, 2021
I never have. I get disgusted over the people who make money off the people who made
the university, particularly PSU football.

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
I never have. I get disgusted over the people who make money off the people who made
the university, particularly PSU football.
I’ve read this five times and still can’t determine what you are saying.

I think you are saying that you’ve never had pride in PSU. That seemed clear. The second sentence is the one I‘m trying to interpret/understand. Are you saying that you are disgusted that PSU football profits from the association with the university or that people profit by marketing PSU football. Either of those seems like a very bizarre thought.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Of course.

I taught undergraduates for more than 20 years. The last couple of years I was getting emails and calls from deans when a student was given a failing grade. It was an 'indirect' sort of pressure to NOT fail students.

Yes, dean, I understand that a failing grade will cause this 'student's' financial aid to be put on hold or lost. That is not my concern. My concern begins and ends when the 'student' doesn't finish projects, doesn't show up for the final exam, etc. I had enough and retired.

A LOT of these people should never have been allowed into any sort of college, other than to sweep up or some other useful tasks. Sadly, many of them would screw that up too, and expect additional pay and much more time off.
You don’t giving a failing grade. The student earns a failing grade.

I had a student show up to the first two classes and then never again this past semester. She did zero assignments but never dropped the class. I did what I was required to do in terms of making sure all campus academic resources were aware, but when it came time to submit grades, she earned an F. It’s only the second F I’ve ever had to give in over 20 years.

NEPA Lion

Nov 2, 2021
I’ve read this five times and still can’t determine what you are saying.

I think you are saying that you’ve never had pride in PSU. That seemed clear. The second sentence is the one I‘m trying to interpret/understand. Are you saying that you are disgusted that PSU football profits from the association with the university or that people profit by marketing PSU football. Either of those seems like a very bizarre thought.
I apologize for my chaotic statement , apparently my comprehension stinks, it sucks getting old.

First, i have always prided myself in Penn State, i NEVER lost it.

Second, PSU football built PSU what it is today , the admins and suits surrounding PSU make too much money and power from it.

Last i haven't been feeling good lately, especially thought wise with my age. I'm glad someone like you pointed out errors in my statement
no offense taken , but reality sets in sometime. I've been a PSU football fan since 1964, nothing changed, still a loyal fan. God Bless.

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
Hahaha
I apologize for my chaotic statement , apparently my comprehension stinks, it sucks getting old.

First, i have always prided myself in Penn State, i NEVER lost it.

Second, PSU football built PSU what it is today , the admins and suits surrounding PSU make too much money and power from it.

Last i haven't been feeling good lately, especially thought wise with my age. I'm glad someone like you pointed out errors in my statement
no offense taken , but reality sets in sometime. I've been a PSU football fan since 1964, nothing changed, still a loyal fan. God Bless.
hahahahahaha

Thank you for clarifying. I would never have deduced that sentiment. Have a great day

Bit, be clear. There is one man who is responsible for the rise of the university and he got royally f*cked by the slime you/we detest

NEPA Lion

Nov 2, 2021
Hahaha

hahahahahaha

Thank you for clarifying. I would never have deduced that sentiment. Have a great day

Bit, be clear. There is one man who is responsible for the rise of the university and he got royally f*cked by the slime you/we detest
JVP - 409

johnmpsu

Oct 28, 2021
I owe PSU a lot and the pride and love I had was huge. Sadly that has waned with each passing year and the stuff that's gone on there and I don't mean the Sandusky garbage. It doesnt even feel like the same school I went to. Every year it feels less and less like "We Are" and more and more like "I Was".

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Twice today. Seeing my daughter at nso at psu and then Meeting Dean of shreyers that said he had my dad for fracture engineering. What a day!!

Reactions: BobPSU92

Latest posts