Who has an EV?

Troy70

Aug 24, 2017
Don’t know anyone myself. What if China cuts off rare earths in response to US cutting off chips? What are US. Auto makers going to do for battery?

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Rare earth metals are really not that rare, China produces the most because they cut prices. There is no shortage of lithium, it just needs to be mined and refined.
And where is it going to be mined? Lithium mines are destructive so it won't be here.

Reactions: Trojan JST

AdelitasTJ

Aug 29, 2021
My GF has a sales job w/ a pretty big territory and she drives an EV. I just don't understand the thinking. She loves trendy **** though, so I guess it makes sense. Half the time she's begging me for the keys to my Subaru.

BTW...Subaru Outbacks are the best. I haven't missed my old car (unreliable Jeep Scrambler that I fixed up) for a second.

dblwall

Aug 24, 2017
And where is it going to be mined? Lithium mines are destructive so it won't be here.
Is the Salton Sea close enough for you?

Imperial Valley has a new nickname these days: Lithium Valley. Or as California Gov. Gavin Newsom likes to call it, “the Saudi Arabia of lithium.”
The monikers are a nod to vast reserves of the white-hot mineral deep below the Earth’s surface in California's hot, southeast corner, near the Salton Sea. While likely one of the world's largest lithium deposits, it will be at least two years before major tonnage will be produced.

link

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017

Imperial Valley has a new nickname these days: Lithium Valley. Or as California Gov. Gavin Newsom likes to call it, “the Saudi Arabia of lithium.”
The monikers are a nod to vast reserves of the white-hot mineral deep below the Earth’s surface in California's hot, southeast corner, near the Salton Sea. While likely one of the world's largest lithium deposits, it will be at least two years before major tonnage will be produced.

link
Isn't this the mine facing environmental protests and law suits?

Reactions: Bobbyteeitup

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018

link

This, and I thought I had heard there was another big mind discovered somewhere in the northeast or something.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
These are not the rare Earths to worry about though. I think there are other materials used in chip making that are more the concern.

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
Questions Americans need to ask those pushing to go all electric are:

“how much fossil fuel is consumed mining, processing, and transporting rare earth metals and the other raw materials to produce lithium-ion batteries for EVs?”

and

“what is the total environmental impact from mining the raw materials in addition to the consumption, processing, and burning of the fossil fuels?”

TheRealAirbns

Aug 24, 2017

link
Added benefit: strip mining that armpit will improve its looks.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Buying a Tesla 4 years ago was a great decision. fun to drive, has never been in for repairs or servicing of any kind. Cost me $17 a month in home charging costs. Great car.

Curious where you live? CA? My electric bills are for the ***** and I imagine charging a car will make sure I am perpetually in the higher cost tier.

How are you measuring the charging costs?

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
The green new deal bill, aka old yeller joe's infrastructure build back bullsh*it bill has not built one single charging station but I hear $20 million will be splurged to build ...wait or it...HEATED SIDEWALKS for the homeless in some town out in the boondocks! This idiotic regime isn't listening to the people. Old joe's got to go!

Huh? 😮 Man, talk about a slap in the face...:mad:

conquist

Aug 24, 2017
Curious where you live? CA? My electric bills are for the ***** and I imagine charging a car will make sure I am perpetually in the higher cost tier.

How are you measuring the charging costs?
Orange County. Edison. When you buy an electric car you need to request to be put on the TOU program. Edison sends you $1000 dollar check and switches you. It’s magic. I always charge during off peak hours ( overnight). i pay about .14 cents per kWh. The car has built in charging stats app that keeps tabs on charging costs but I also watch my monthly bill like a hawk. I get 312 miles per charge and charge 2x a month. no matter how you slice it electricity is always cheaper than gas. Also, no oil changes, no transmission to go out, no hoses to have the douche at Firestone say he recommends replacement. No engine, no alternator, no starter, none of that stuff you need fixing or replacing. No car keys to lose or lock in the car. AAA hasn’t heard from me in years. 😂. Zip. nada. Don’t believe the dummies that tell you, you will spend more time charging than driving. Not true.
Hope that lends clarity.

Last edited:

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
Orange County. Edison. When you buy an electric car you need to request to be put on the TOU program. Edison sends you $1000 dollar check and switches you. It’s magic. I always charge during off peak hours ( overnight). i pay about .14 cents per kWh. The car has built in charging stats app that keeps tabs on charging costs but I also watch my monthly bill like a hawk. I get 312 miles per charge and charge 2x a month. no matter how you slice it electricity is always cheaper than gas. Also, no oil changes, no transmission to go out, no hoses to have the douche at Firestone say he recommends replacement. No engine, no alternator, no starter, none of that stuff you need fixing or replacing. No car keys to lose or lock in the car. AAA hasn’t heard from me in years. 😂. Zip. nada. Don’t believe the dummies that tell you, you will spend more time charging than driving. Not true.
Hope that lends clarity.
You have an exceptionally different life style than many/most if you only drive 312 miles in two weeks. That wouldn’t apply to most people. You’re probably like my brother who works fully from home (self employed) and buys 90% of what he need from Amazon. :). He’s got Tesla and loves it and mirrors all of what you said.
Personally, I’m looking forward most to not having to deal with gas, oil, dirty car parts, etc. Sounds wonderful! :)

conquist

Aug 24, 2017
You have an exceptionally different life style than many/most if you only drive 312 miles in two weeks. That wouldn’t apply to most people. You’re probably like my brother who works fully from home (self employed) and buys 90% of what he need from Amazon. :). He’s got Tesla and loves it and mirrors all of what you said.
Personally, I’m looking forward most to not having to deal with gas, oil, dirty car parts, etc. Sounds wonderful! :)
Yes, you are right. My office is 3.5 miles from my house and my job requires no driving. My wife drives it more than me, for errands and such. She drives a ice suv. By the way, frequent over the air software updates that you do yourself, free. Most with awesome improvements
But it doesn’t matter, the more you drive, the more you save. Gas at $6 or $7 bucks vs. .14c per kWh is a winner no matter what.

Last edited:

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Hope that lends clarity.

TOU program? I had not heard of this. I know starting about 3 years back my electric bills ballooned even though my total usage did not. I am at $300/month and that is without air conditioning.

I am very interested in the new Cadilac EV SUV...but I just bought my CT6 so I may have to wait a couple years.

Reactions: conquist

conquist

Aug 24, 2017
TOU program? I had not heard of this. I know starting about 3 years back my electric bills ballooned even though my total usage did not. I am at $300/month and that is without air conditioning.

I am very interested in the new Cadilac EV SUV...but I just bought my CT6 so I may have to wait a couple years.
Love Cadillac. I was going to buy the CT6 before I looked into Tesla. Saving the planet had nothing to do with why I got it. Not dealing with a dealership and their sales booshet, ordered online, eliminating gas and repairs, and as it turned out the fun of driving it. I kinda wish my commute was longer 😂. There is a reason waiting list are 6 months long for a Tesla car delivery. The wait was 3 months when ordered mine 4 years ago. Tesla disrupted the auto industry and forced change. Because it’s a great car. Enough of my Tesla fanboy stuff tho. 😅

Reactions: rm3671

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Will the 2035 changeover to all electric vehicles push thru?
California has a history of throwing out these types of goals. If it does not work, they will change it. My guess would be by 2035, ICE cars will be not as economical to buy or run and will probably be a specialty item for certain industries. I would not get all excited about it. There will be many changes in the next 12 years. Electric cars are so much more simple to build, with time they should be a lot cheaper.

Whatever the date is, the saudis are pushing it forward with their maneuvering to push up gas prices.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Originally, nukes were design for a 25 year life, they pushed Sano to 30 and messed up the upgrade, now it will take 20 billion to decomission it. The day of the nuke is over, they last one built has been a disaster.

In the southwest, you go out and buy a lot of solar panels and they are up in running in 1-2 years, hard to beat that

Reactions: OxyTrojan

Trojan JST

Aug 24, 2017
I’ll take this opportunity to “add to“ the battery powered vehicle chat…

I look forward to reading the replies.

FACTS:

1) The ONLY true electric powered car is a “slot car” toy race car / track, made popular, back in the 1980’s.

2) Today‘s NON gasoline powered vehicles, are BATTERY powered, NOTHING more. Batteries ONLY STORE power. NO electricity is EVER produced.

3) Electricity is produced by??
Take your pick: hydro?? fossil fuels?? nuclear?? wind?? solar?? coal??

4) A SINGLE gas pump supplies fuel to, (on average) 2,000 vehicles in 1 week.

5) A SINGLE Battery Powered Vehicle requires (at this time) 1 charger per battery powered vehicle. The amount of EV Chargers needed for the 2035 California EV mandate, will fund my retirement.

6) The existing California Electrical Grid, is NOT able to handle the added increased electrical demand / electrical load, of the added millions of “EV Chargers” needed to power the added battery powered vehicles.

7) Consider the Supply Chain problems related to the demand for MILLIONs of…. Electrical panels, (including upgrades) Electrical Circuit Breakers, Electrical cord, etc. The current back order for ALL of these items, is preventing cost effective construction installations.

8) Consider the current Car Rental fleet, (throughout the state of California). Battery powered vehicles make sense for single day rentals. However; there isn't enough battery powered chargers, to supply AVIS, HERTZ and Enterprise rental yards, yet alone, the rest of the general public.

9) Battery powered vehicle DRIVERS, need to retrain their current mindset, of “filling up“ to 100%, like gasoline powered vehicles.

- The NEW mindset is… EV drivers ONLY need battery level to get to their next location. (An EV Charger will need to be at their destination location)
- Always maintain between 20% and 80% battery charge.
- NO need to charge the vehicle battery to 100%. Not good for battery longevity.

10) A battery powered “truck” does NOT compare to a gasoline powered truck. (What a truck has been designed to do)
- Pull a boat, trailer, haul a heavy load, or be driven with “Off Road” all terrain tires. EV battery mileage will suffer greatly, when these condition are applied to a battery powered truck.
- A battery powered “truck is actual…
a four passenger EV vehicle with a front: ”trunk” and an open tail gate area. RIVIAN, FORD Lighting and GMC EV Denali, all included.
- YES; battery powered vehicles have exceptional pick up and torque, STILL not able to head out to a remote destination, 300 miles away from their last battery charge.

11) There is not enough rare earth minerals to keep up with the required (need for the forecasted demand of 2035) vehicles to be battery powered. The number of batteries needed (every 20 years) will be astronomical.

12) The cost of manufacturing battery powered vehicles will not get lower, due to mining and manufacturing of these components, in remote places on earth. You’ll NEVER see a lithium mining operation (outside of a third world nation) down the street from a major environmentally clean city, the two, do NOT go, hand in hand.

13) A battery powered vehicle is basically a disposal vehicle. After 8 years, the battery powered vehicle becomes a 25 thousand dollar liability to the owner. Attempt to replace the battery and see what that costs the owner. This is when the “NO SERVICE” (no oil changes, etc.) of an “EV” begins.

NEVER purchase a late model (6 year or older) EV vehicle, the battery condition / future longevity is UNKNOWN. Expect to pay a 25K replacement, let alone get a service center, install and warrantee the replacement battery.
- EV tire costs: EVs always need to REPLACE two tires at a time. Many times, ALL four tires will need to be changed. WHEN EVER a SINGLE tire needs replacement. (resulting from a flat tire after normal 10K miles of wear, also depending on if, the EV is a single or dual EV motor vehicle)
Because of the torque / acceleration of the EV motor… tire wear is greater than most EV drivers expect.
Try getting 50,000 miles out of a set of FOUR tires on an EV, its impossible.

My background…

After completing an undergrad degree, became an electrician, 30 years of electrical construction industry experience, Principal / Owner of an Electrical Contracting Firm, graduate degree in Business. I am responsible for the installation and have COMPLETED the installation of (1,200 each) EV chargers, during the past 12 months, more than ANY ONE individual, and the vast majority of companies / installers in the ENTIRE United States. (DC Fast EV Chargers and Level 2 EV Chargers)

What I drive…

a brand new: 2022 GMC 1500 AT4X 6.2L V8 gas guzzling truck, and NEVER expect to purchase a battery powered vehicle. There are many good and great battery powered vehicles on the market out there. Buy a battery powered vehicles if you want. A battery powered vehicle is NOT for me.

So long as the democrat california governor and democrat president, funnel our tax dollars into democrat “build back better” pet projects, my business plan and retirement is going to be just fine.

Personally; I don’t care what today’s gas prices are, OR, what TOMORROW’S gas prices will be. I’m driving what I want to drive. I pass my fuel cost on to the EV charging projects, I build. 😎

Fjb and FIGHT ON!

Last edited:

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
The green new deal bill, aka old yeller joe's infrastructure build back bullsh*it bill has not built one single charging station but I hear $20 million will be splurged to build ...wait or it...HEATED SIDEWALKS for the homeless in some town out in the boondocks! This idiotic regime isn't listening to the people. Old joe's got to go!

Huh? 😮 Man, talk about a slap in the face...:mad:

They should start by heating the sidewalks outside of the White House first.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
do they ever tell the truth, I really get tried of the constant lies

Build Back Better Bill Provisions for a Nationwide EV Charging Network​

According to NBC News, Build Back Better proposes the building of 50,000 EV charging stations across the U.S. as part of the PResident’s plan to address greenhouse gas emissions. The bill originally proposed $15 billion for the massive project, but that amount has already been cut in half to $7.5 billion. Stll, despite the 50% reduction in budget, the target of 500,000 remains in place.

SC in DE

Aug 25, 2017
There are two other over looked issues. The EV vehicles are significantly heavier which will lead to more accident related fatalities and greater damage to the roads.

Long story how I ended up with it but I have a hybrid. No charging necessary, replacement batteries were relatively reasonable and I get great gas mileage.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
do they ever tell the truth, I really get tried of the constant lies

Build Back Better Bill Provisions for a Nationwide EV Charging Network​

According to NBC News, Build Back Better proposes the building of 50,000 EV charging stations across the U.S. as part of the PResident’s plan to address greenhouse gas emissions. The bill originally proposed $15 billion for the massive project, but that amount has already been cut in half to $7.5 billion. Stll, despite the 50% reduction in budget, the target of 500,000 remains in place.

Me too. I am so tired of the lies. Can't get rid of this lying administration fast enough.

First they cut it in half and I will be happy to wager a bet with you that the actual number built will be in the 15 - 20,000 range.

Fight On Era

Sep 28, 2021
How's that California high speed rail thing going that has so far cost multiple billions of taxpayer dollars? When was that supposed to have been completed? Has even one mile of that corrupt boondoggle been completed? Didn't gullible taxpayers vote to approve this moneypit 14 years ago? Isn't 2035 13 years from now? Why should anyone be skeptical?

dblwall

Aug 24, 2017
Long story how I ended up with it but I have a hybrid. No charging necessary, replacement batteries were relatively reasonable and I get great gas mileage.

My daughter is a DPT and was doing home health for a period and loves her hybrid. Loves that if she goes on vacation and driving through the middle of the desert no need to worry about charging station. Or when it's around town in electric mode it's smooth, quiet and efficient.

Reactions: CrownoftheValley

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Consumer Reports had an interesting article praising plug-in hybrids. So how do you like yours?

I mean--mine is not a high-end car. I also still am saddled with regular maintenance (because it's not a dedicated EV), but I like it for the minimization of range anxiety. I get 47 miles per charge, and I just need the overnight on the lowest-level charging to "top it off."

Latest posts