Why are our MBB plyers entering the transfer portal?***

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I really bought into the “team” and special mix of players that Lamont assembled. Oh well. Meechie’s production wasn’t other worldly and won’t be hard to replace, but finding guys who can gel the way this team did will be the challenge.

Reactions: vacock and 92Pony

IBreakForGamecocks

Feb 26, 2024
Like a lot of folks, my first reaction to players announcing they are entering the portal is frustration, disappointment, sometimes anger. But I end up reminding myself that it’s a two way street and it’s not right to celebrate when someone transfers here but resent it when someone transfers out. And I realize how much different Gamecock teams have benefited from transfers - like Paopao and Cordoso for WBB and guys like Kennedy Jones for baseball to name a few. Like a several have commented, it’s part of the reality of college athletics today and it goes both ways.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
Like a lot of folks, my first reaction to players announcing they are entering the portal is frustration, disappointment, sometimes anger. But I end up reminding myself that it’s a two way street and it’s not right to celebrate when someone transfers here but resent it when someone transfers out. And I realize how much different Gamecock teams have benefited from transfers - like Paopao and Cordoso for WBB and guys like Kennedy Jones for baseball to name a few. Like a several have commented, it’s part of the reality of college athletics today and it goes both ways.
I don’t believe in allowing transfers more than once! This will be Meechie’s third transfer!

Baltcock96

Joined Dec 11, 2001
Jan 28, 2022
I don’t believe in allowing transfers more than once! This will be Meechie’s third transfer!
If he winds up back at OSU, it would be no different than Stogner back to Oklahoma or Gilbert Edmond back to us.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I really bought into the “team” and special mix of players that Lamont assembled. Oh well. Meechie’s production wasn’t other worldly and won’t be hard to replace, but finding guys who can gel the way this team did will be the challenge.

I think they had a real "team" in every sense of the word. And I also think in the new world of college athletics, the best coaches will be able to assemble new players each season and make them a "team." No longer do coaches have the luxury of developing players, they have to know how to bring in the right pieces (and really, it's more than scoring, you have to get kids in the right head space), and how to get those pieces to work together immediately.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
If he winds up back at OSU, it would be no different than Stogner back to Oklahoma or Gilbert Edmond back to us.

He definitely is not the only athlete changing schools for the third time. I just think changes need to be made in this transfer portal. An education to these athletes does not seem to matter any more…if it ever did. We all know when you transfer from one college to another you lose some credits…that doesn’t matter to these young people. It is the money, not whether they will get a degree. I do not understand why the NCAA does not limit the amount of transfers. I for one am losing interest in college sports. I am weary of hearing them say, “I am doing this for myself and my family!”

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
I wonder if Paris will speak on this.
I like coach but he will be judged over the next 4 or 5 years not just on this year.

IBreakForGamecocks

Feb 26, 2024
I agree in principle but I think the main issue is that courts have clearly ruled against any effort to limit a player’s mobility or earnings. We might not like it - obviously most of us don’t - but it’s what it is and what it’s going to be in the future.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
I agree in principle but I think the main issue is that courts have clearly ruled against any effort to limit a player’s mobility or earnings. We might not like it - obviously most of us don’t - but it’s what it is and what it’s going to be in the future.
I don’t understand if the NCAA makes a rule…one transfer…it wouldn’t hold up in court. I don’t understand if a cap was put on NIL money…why wouldn’t it hold up in court? Can an organization not make its own rules? Women have to be 22 or a graduating senior to enter the WNBA. Yet men can enter after one year of college. The WNBA rule has held up. It affects all women who want to enter the WNBA. (Just using as an example.)

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

Bespeaking why open-ended transferring has to be rolled back, through whatever means. But a contractual system will now be the only way to do it, I fear. And it will have to be somewhat standardized and that will require legislation. If it isn't the law, it won't be enforceable. The current pooch has been screwed beyond any redeemability.

Reactions: CWW

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think they had a real "team" in every sense of the word. And I also think in the new world of college athletics, the best coaches will be able to assemble new players each season and make them a "team." No longer do coaches have the luxury of developing players, they have to know how to bring in the right pieces (and really, it's more than scoring, you have to get kids in the right head space), and how to get those pieces to work together immediately.
I agree with all that, but I don’t think it’s gonna be an easy task to rebuild just the right mix of players every single year. I think some years, like this one, you’ll push all the right buttons and get the right combination of plates. But it’s not feasible to think that can happen every year.

Reactions: CWW

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I don’t understand if the NCAA makes a rule…one transfer…it wouldn’t hold up in court. I don’t understand if a cap was put on NIL money…why wouldn’t it hold up in court? Can an organization not make its own rules? Women have to be 22 or a graduating senior to enter the WNBA. Yet men can enter after one year of college. The WNBA rule has held up. It affects all women who want to enter the WNBA. (Just using as an example.)
The rules in the professional ranks were collectively bargained between the players. That is what makes it hold up. College sports will have to go to a professional model to a degree to make any of their rules stand up. That will include making the players employees.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
The rules in the professional ranks were collectively bargained between the players. That is what makes it hold up. College sports will have to go to a professional model to a degree to make any of their rules stand up. That will include making the players employees.
It is on its way to “pro college players.”

Feb 24, 2024
If someone tried to limit my mobility or earnings I'd ******* sue too. Want to have some measure of restricted free agency in college sports? It'll take employment contracts with enforceable liquidated damages and non-compete restrictions compliant with regulations and case law in exchange for market based or negotiated remuneration.

Case in Point: SC capturing liquidated damages from UGA/James Coley. An example of friction and remuneration in contractually restricted free agency.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024
I don’t understand if a cap was put on NIL money…why wouldn’t it hold up in court? Can an organization not make its own rules?
The only way earnings can be capped in America is through a bilateral contract, such as a collectively bargained agreement. You can't unilaterally cap someone's ability to earn money.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I think it's come to that.

[email protected]

Feb 16, 2024
I thought Stogner transferred back to us. I did not think he was particularly great at receiving. I don’t know how good of a blocker he was, but he was too easy to tackle.

[email protected]

Feb 16, 2024
I think it should be understood that a players scholarship is no longer a 4 yr guarantee. It used to be that scholarships were renewed 1yr at a time. Then we went to 4yr offers. That should be off the table. If the players cannot be restricted, then the schools shouldn’t be either. So, if a guy wants to test the waters to see who might offer, he should know that if he decides to stay, there may or may not be a place for them at that time. It should be a 2-way street.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I think it should be understood that a players scholarship is no longer a 4 yr guarantee. It used to be that scholarships were renewed 1yr at a time. Then we went to 4yr offers. That should be off the table. If the players cannot be restricted, then the schools shouldn’t be either. So, if a guy wants to test the waters to see who might offer, he should know that if he decides to stay, there may or may not be a place for them at that time. It should be a 2-way street.
I'm good with it, but soft people won't be.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
I thought that was the case…if a player enters the portal…he may or may not be accepted back.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Well put.

Latest posts