Why can't PGA golfers wear shorts during a tournament?

Snake006

Joined Aug 7, 2007
Jan 31, 2022
I think most of the rules of golf are very good for the game. But two that make No sense to me are.

Not allowing players to wear dress shorts
Not allowing a free drop out of a fairway divot.

Reactions: HWGcock

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I think most of the rules of golf are very good for the game. But two that make No sense to me are.

LIV players wear shorts. I didn’t think it would be a big deal, but it does feel like it cheapens it a bit. I guess I’m just used to pants.

completely agree about the divot though. That rule puts the leaders at a disadvantage being there are more divots in the fairway than the guys that’s played earlier.

Reactions: SSIGamecock

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I can see the shorts rule. Not for the shorts themselves, but to keep it from "degrading" to what comes after the shorts.

Give an inch, take a mile sort of thing.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I can see the shorts rule. Not for the shorts themselves, but to keep it from "degrading" to what comes after the shorts.

Give an inch, take a mile sort of thing.
I'm a traditionalist and not a LIV adherent, but I would be fine with players wearing tasteful shorts during PGA events according to a codified definition of what that is. They could make it contingent on the expected heat index and not to violate the dress code of the club where the tournament is being held.

The USGA already allows shorts in its amateur events and during practice rounds of events featuring pros, such as the Open, and if any sanctioning organization has a stick up their @$$e$, it is that one.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
It's a gentlemen's sport
Family Guy Summer GIF

Last edited:

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022

I'm personally not a fan of them wearing pants, but similar to @Fried Chicken I think it's just I'm not used to them doing it. Also, inevitably, you'd have some douche that is in no way going to compete wear extremely short shorts or something for attention and clout as a money grab.

As for the fairway divot, this might be one of the dumbest rules in sports. Players hit a good shot in the fairway, and are penalized due to an unnatural occurrence. There are free drops when buildings or posts, etc are in the line of the shot due to them being unnatural. The divot is not naturally there, so I don't see why it is any different. Now I know pros don't do this, but imagine this: your buddy who shoots 113 in the group in front of you just punched out from his wayward tee shot, and is now 100 yards out and chunks one to the point it looks like he was plowing the fairway. You tee off and pipe one 275 down the middle, and your ball ends up in the crater he left behind. If anyone can make that make sense then I'm all ears. Of course, I think most amateurs that aren't playing competitively would move their ball from the divot, but still.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
I'm a traditionalist and not a LIV adherent, but I would be fine with players wearing tasteful shorts during PGA events according to a codified definition of what that is. They could make it contingent on the expected heat index and not to violate the dress code of the club where the tournament is being held.

The USGA already allows shorts in its amateur events and during practice rounds of events featuring pros, such as the Open, and if any sanctioning organization has a stick up their @$$e$, it is that one.
not to be a prick, but the Open is ran by the R&A - (I assume you meant U.S. Open and were referencing this one since you referred to USGA and meant it to be implied).

I would have to agree with you referencing my comment above. Definitely have to put some definition so some Clempson grad on tour doesn't go out and wear a tutu to play in to grab attention and money from sponsors for looking like a jackazz.

Reactions: KingWard

Snake006

Joined Aug 7, 2007
Jan 31, 2022
I'm personally not a fan of them wearing pants, but similar to @Fried Chicken I think it's just I'm not used to them doing it. Also, inevitably, you'd have some douche that is in no way going to compete wear extremely short shorts or something for attention and clout as a money grab.

As for the fairway divot, this might be one of the dumbest rules in sports. Players hit a good shot in the fairway, and are penalized due to an unnatural occurrence. There are free drops when buildings or posts, etc are in the line of the shot due to them being unnatural. The divot is not naturally there, so I don't see why it is any different. Now I know pros don't do this, but imagine this: your buddy who shoots 113 in the group in front of you just punched out from his wayward tee shot, and is now 100 yards out and chunks one to the point it looks like he was plowing the fairway. You tee off and pipe one 275 down the middle, and your ball ends up in the crater he left behind. If anyone can make that make sense then I'm all ears. Of course, I think most amateurs that aren't playing competitively would move their ball from the divot, but still.
Why the divot deal is so strange is that you hit the ball where they set the course up for you to hit it. And get penalized for doing so.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
not to be a prick, but the Open is ran by the R&A - (I assume you meant U.S. Open and were referencing this one since you referred to USGA and meant it to be implied).

I would have to agree with you referencing my comment above. Definitely have to put some definition so some Clempson grad on tour doesn't go out and wear a tutu to play in to grab attention and money from sponsors for looking like a jackazz.
Well, not to be persnickety, but the OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP is run by the R&A. People in our country, as well as in other countries, routinely refer to their national championships in golf as "the Open". But to be clear, I didn't regard your comment as especially "prickish". :ROFLMAO:

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
I'd be good with a divot rule, but only in the fairway. You hit the ball off the fairway, you have to take what comes.
yes, that would be how I would frame it up. Hitting in a divot in the rough (shouldn't ever be in one in the bunker if people actually rake properly) would be same as being near the woods and being against a root or something.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
Well, not to be persnickety, but the OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP is run by the R&A. People in our country, as well as in other countries, routinely refer to their national championships in golf as "the Open". But to be clear, I didn't regard your comment as especially "prickish". :ROFLMAO:
fair enough. I'd argue that if you refer to "The Open" to any golf fan, they would assume you're referring to "The Open Championship/British Open" or whatever other nomenclature you could find. Especially without any context.

And I have a shirt on right now that could prove that to you! It says "The 150th Open." lol

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
fair enough. I'd argue that if you refer to "The Open" to any golf fan, they would assume you're referring to "The Open Championship/British Open" or whatever other nomenclature you could find. Especially without any context.

And I have a shirt on right now that could prove that to you! It says "The 150th Open." lol
I think the “British Open” has pretty much rebranded and dropped the British and has been known as simply “The Open” for a few years now. They are making their rightful claim as the biggest Open Championship in the world. I have no issue with it, as it’s true. So I’d agree with you.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

As I grow older, I have less and less faith in the ability of my fellow humans to adhere to what is "tasteful".

Someone will always push the boundary. Then someone will want to push the boundary a little farther, etc, etc.

I agree you can try to codify it well enough to be a robust rule, but I just assume someone will work a way around it.

Perhaps it's just the pessimist in me.

• Love
Reactions: 92Pony

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
As I grow older, I have less and less faith in the ability of my fellow humans to adhere to what is "tasteful".

Someone will always push the boundary. Then someone will want to push the boundary a little farther, etc, etc.

I agree you can try to codify it well enough to be a robust rule, but I just assume someone will work a way around it.

Perhaps it's just the pessimist in me.
I believe they can regulate this, especially since they have the power to fine people or sideline them.

Reactions: Lurker123

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

Back in June, I heard a guy say, "The Open starts Thursday". Even without the context clue, I knew to what he was referring. And then there's the very familiar "Open" qualifying.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I think the “British Open” has pretty much rebranded and dropped the British and has been known as simply “The Open” for a few years now. They are making their rightful claim as the biggest Open Championship in the world. I have no issue with it, as it’s true. So I’d agree with you.
That's the brand right there.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
but there is a context clue because golf fans know The U.S. Open starts in June and The Open starts in July!! You may not want to concede it, but "The Open" means the one in July that occurs in the UK. The U.S. Open is in the U.S. and is distinguished as such.

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
I've never understood why we rake sand straps smooth as can be but turn around and force a player to hit out of a divot in the middle of the fairway.

Beehaver

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jul 8, 2023
I see it like the pga. I don’t want to see shorts. To me shorts are not professional attire. They are professional golfers. They should be held to a higher standard.
Ben Hogan set the tone with tailor made shirts and cashmere sweaters.

Beehaver

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jul 8, 2023
Better question is why do the ladies of the LPGA have to wear panties under those short skirts ?

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
I've never understood why we rake sand straps smooth as can be but turn around and force a player to hit out of a divot in the middle of the fairway.

I think waste bunkers should be more prevalent on alot of courses I play. Less maintenance, you can ground club etc.

Reactions: Beehaver

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022

A third- tank tops should be allowed on the men's side!

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I'd be good with a divot rule, but only in the fairway. You hit the ball off the fairway, you have to take what comes.
Agreed. When it comes to the fairway I've always kinda felt you are paying to play on a pristine well maintained golf course. You should be allowed to hit off one. Anything that could be considered the rough though should be played as such.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
Well, like they say, the two main rules of golf are "play the ball where it lies and play the course as you find it."

Reactions: Prestonyte