Why does college football have to ruin a good thing?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This happened with bowl games. Fans liked bowl games so what do we do? Let's double the number of bowl games! If a few is good, a ton will be better, right? Not. The glut of bowl games has watered down the significance to the point that some of the best players don't even want to play in them. And fans actually think it's a good idea. What used to be the climax to a great season, anticipated by fans and players alike, has turned into an anticlimactic meaningless game that's not even worth playing in. All because we had to have more, more, more.

Now we're doing the same with non-conference matchups. I hear folks talk about how cool it will be to see Michigan and SoCal play on a regular basis. Ironically, I even heard them say on ESPN Gameday on Saturday that realignment will give us more of the fun non-conference matchups like Michigan/SoCal, totally missing the point that once SoCal joins the Big 10, it won't be a non-conference matchup anymore. Non-conference matchups were fun for the very reason that they were non-conference matchups and didn't happen very often. I don't know why folks can't see the fallacy of the logic that taking an intriguing matchup between two non-conference teams and making a conference matchup, instantly wipes out the very thing that made it intriguing in the first place. Will it be cool the first time we go to Norman or Austin or OU or Texas come to WB? No doubt. But after the first time, it just becomes another conference game.

There are other ways college football has used the same rationale to ruin things, like so many rule changes penalizing defense in order to artificially create more offense.

I guess it's just human nature to take something that's fun in small doses and overdo it until it loses the quality that made it fun in the first place.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Enjoy this year of CFB as you know it. The next couple of years it will very different, with new conference alignments, 12 team playoffs, who even knows if there will be bowl games that are not hosting playoff games.
Literally it will be end of an era.

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
I'm taking the Dr. Strangelove approach with this mess.

Attachments

• Dr. Strangelove.gif
    Dr. Strangelove.gif
    843.4 KB · Views: 3

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Enjoy this year of CFB as you know it. The next couple of years it will very different, with new conference alignments, 12 team playoffs, who even knows if there will be bowl games that are not hosting playoff games.

I try not to be an old fogey, but, seriously, people cannot leave well enough alone. College football was the near perfect game as it was.

Also being eroded by realignment is one of the key things that made the game so great: regional matchups. We're going to lose annual matchups with UGA, who is a border state, to accommodate matchups with teams like UT and OU that are 1,100 miles away. There might 50 OU fans in South Carolina and maybe fewer Gamecock fans in Oklahoma. Part of what makes the game fun is jawing with those UGA fans in the week(s) leading up to the game and then getting brag at work or school after the game is over. Regional matchups were the heartbeat of college football. How many OU fans will Gamecock fans get to mix it up with next year?

Making the occasional, intriguing, non-conference matchups commonplace is like taking an ingredient you like in a recipe and adding so much of it that it ends up ruining the dish. My dad loves black forest cake (for whatever reason). We ordered one from a special bakery for him and he said he wanted double cherries. The bakery said "ok, but the extra cherries will ruin the cake." Sure enough. Too much of a good thing ruined the cake.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
One word Greed! The pie was very big and everybody has to get some! It all went to **** when coaches started getting multi-million dollar contracts!

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
One word Greed! The pie was very big and everybody has to get some! It all went to **** when coaches started getting multi-million dollar contracts!

Thank Bobby Bowden for tipping college coaching salaries over the edge.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Bowl games need to end in my opinion.

IPOC

Joined Aug 30, 2015
Feb 2, 2022
Bowl games used to be a reward for having a very good season.Now its like the Ed Sullivan show........ )~

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Bowl games used to be a reward for having a very good season.Now its like the Ed Sullivan show........ )~

Yes. It used to be that if you made to a bowl, you knew you'd had a good season. Shoot, it used to be you could have a good season and still not get a bowl. NOW, however, the expectation is a bowl game. If you get 6 wins, you're pretty much locked in to go to a bowl game.

The bowl system, as it is, sucks, but it's foolish nonsense to suggest that bowl games need to go away. Nobody who's watched football for more than a decade or so would suggest that. The system just needs to be fixed to return bowl games to having a sense of significance.

Mic4usc

Joined Oct 16, 2015
Jan 22, 2022
I think it started with the 4 team playoff. The national brands always recruited top talent, but the middle class of CFB pretty much vanished sometime around 2015 until Covid/2020.

The best players were all going together to either Bama, Clemson or OSU. UGA wasn’t rolling yet. CFB had never been so predictable.

Now recruiting is finally balancing back out and in 2023, there’s legit intrigue bc none of the top teams are bullet proof. But now it’s realignment and playoff expansion.

Imagine USC making the playoff. We would need 3 more wins and likely face 2 SEC opponents in the playoff. How is that good for anybody not named Bama, UGA, LSU, OSU?

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
So to answer your question: