World Cup

Alexi_Lalas

May 7, 2014
The English looked to be playing for a draw to me. The knock out round is a bit different than the group stage.
Why would they be playing for a draw against a team that you say they have such a talent advantage over? The US pushed England and there is no doubt England wanted to win that game. Not sure why you are such a downer on this US team. To beat the Netherlands will be a tough task no doubt, but it is well within the realm of possibility for this US team.

Reactions: patdog

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
Most of the biggest stars in the EPL are not English.
I get that, but England is a soccer crazed country with almost 2.5 times more people than the Netherlands. Just doesn't make sense that Netherlands has been better

Alexi_Lalas

May 7, 2014
I get that, but England is a soccer crazed country with almost 2.5 times more people than the Netherlands. Just doesn't make sense that Netherlands has been better
First, the Netherlands haven't been obscenely better than the English. The Dutch still lack a WC title (though they have a European championship and the English don't) and have had cycles where they have failed to qualify for the WC (they didn't qualify in 2018). However, they do punch above their weight when it comes to population size.

People have literally written books about it, but the short answer is the Dutch developed a unique play style in the late 60's/early 70's called "Total Football" that pretty much revolutionized the way soccer was played. It basically did away with the static formations that other teams had used and made it so defenders could attack and attackers had to be prepared to defend (this is simplified). That was then coupled with a very strong and comprehensive youth scouting system that was developed through the various teams in the country and they all played a similar style and learned the "Total Football" philosophy. This made for a very cohesive national team. Even today, the scouting system in the Netherlands is extremely comprehensive which basically means that any player in the country that can kick a ball is scouted and evaluated. To this day, teams like Ajax, PSV, and Feyenoord produce a disproportionate amount of the soccer talent that eventually finds it way to the top levels of Europe (though they are not always Dutch players as these teams have a good track record of "finishing" prospects from other countries).

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Why would they be playing for a draw against a team that you say they have such a talent advantage over? The US pushed England and there is no doubt England wanted to win that game. Not sure why you are such a downer on this US team. To beat the Netherlands will be a tough task no doubt, but it is well within the realm of possibility for this US team.
Because it all but assured they would go through. A loss on the other hand......
I don't like international soccer period. But pretending the US is something it isn't in soccer always gets me. The team isn't very good, and barely got out of a weak group overall. It's getting better but when your best player is Pulisic that says it all really.

Alexi_Lalas

May 7, 2014
Because it all but assured they would go through. A loss on the other hand......
I don't like international soccer period. But pretending the US is something it isn't in soccer always gets me. The team isn't very good, and barely got out of a weak group overall. It's getting better but when your best player is Pulisic that says it all really.
No one has exaggerated the US teams ability. Basically everyone has said that a Netherlands win is expected but the US do have a shot. I think that is a realistic take. The only person pretending the US is something it isn't is you with your hyperbolic statements about how big of an upset it would be if the US beat the Netherlands. I pushed back on your initial statement which was that it would be "close to the Miracle on Ice" and since then all you have done is moved the goalposts of your arguments while everyone else has stayed consistent.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I’m really shocked you’re so negative about the USMNT since you’re usually so positive about MSU football. ***

• Haha
Reactions: yakalot2

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
No one has exaggerated the US teams ability. Basically everyone has said that a Netherlands win is expected but the US do have a shot. I think that is a realistic take. The only person pretending the US is something it isn't is you with your hyperbolic statements about how big of an upset it would be if the US beat the Netherlands. I pushed back on your initial statement which was that it would be "close to the Miracle on Ice" and since then all you have done is moved the goalposts of your arguments while everyone else has stayed consistent.
It would be a huge upset.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I’m really shocked you’re so negative about the USMNT since you’re usually so positive about MSU football. ***
Humm, I call them both as I see them. Do you want my real up to the minute take? Here it is on both:

MSU football: I will always be hard on a Leach team because I loathe the offense, except when he runs the ball some. He did that in our three biggest wins. This season, provided we win the bowl game, is a really good one by our standards. It is acceptable even if we don't. Credit where it is due.
USA soccer: They did really well to get out of the group. That also by our standards is a good showing.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I was pretty pessimistic about us advancing further but seeing L4Dawg so certain makes me think we have a solid chance. Would go drop some serious coin except for the whole broken clock twice a day thing.

Alexi_Lalas

May 7, 2014
It would be a huge upset.
If this was a '90's version of the Dutch, I would completely agree. But given the state of the current Dutch team, it wouldn't even be the biggest upset of this tournament. Once again we'll have to agree to disagree on how far apart these teams are. Done engaging on this one since we both appear to be stubborn bastards on our respective stances.

Good debating with you!

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If this was a '90's version of the Dutch, I would completely agree. But given the state of the current Dutch team, it wouldn't even be the biggest upset of this tournament. Once again we'll have to agree to disagree on how far apart these teams are. Done engaging on this one since we both appear to be stubborn bastards on our respective stances.

Good debating with you!
I really do hope we win, if for no other reason it would remove Van Dyke from the line of fire. ;)

Reactions: Alexi_Lalas

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Looks like they are building in an excuse in case they lose. ***

Alexi_Lalas

May 7, 2014
I really do hope we win, if for no other reason it would remove Van Dyke from the line of fire. ;)
Here to take my lumps. The US has its chances but we’re out executed and definitely outcoached by LVG (which was honestly the biggest mismatch of the game). The Dutch were clinical and the US was not.

Reactions: Podgy