World Cup

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Question for the knowledge soccer crowd, can the US win against the Netherlands?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Can we win?

Yes.

But expect this…

Orange Jumping GIF by Fed Cup by BNP Paribas

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

patdog

May 28, 2007
Question for the knowledge soccer crowd, can the US win against the Netherlands?
We're big underdogs. Netherlands is one of the best teams in the world. We're very talented, but the youngest team to advance. But you never know in soccer. Our defense has been solid, and they haven't looked all that great in this tournament themselves. It should be a low scoring match. If we can find a moment of brilliance from someone like Pulisic, Weah, or Reyna (if Berhalter will finally give him some minutes), we could have a chance.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It won’t be the biggest upset of this World Cup
(that would be Saudi Arabia over Argentina) but think of the USMNT as a 6-seed taking on a strong 2-seed in the Sweet 16.

For years, maybe the best comparison would have been to say that the Netherlands is to soccer what State is to baseball.

They’re Strong. Real strong. But they’ve not won the title and have been finalists three times.

State finally won its baseball title.

Someday the Netherlands will win the World Cup.

Reactions: FQDawg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I didn't expect us to beat Iran, but what do I know. It's soccer. I know very little to nothing about it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It won’t be the biggest upset of this World Cup
(that would be Saudi Arabia over Argentina) but think of the USMNT as a 6-seed taking on a strong 2-seed in the Sweet 16.

For years, maybe the best comparison would have been to say that the Netherlands is to soccer what State is to baseball.

They’re Strong. Real strong. But they’ve not won the title and have been finalists three times.

State finally won its baseball title.

Someday the Netherlands will win the World Cup.
That's a pretty good analogy. But we do have a chance. I don't think Netherlands is any better than England (despite the fact Netherlands is #4 and England is #8 in the ELO rankings). And we drew vs England and very well could have won the game. But yeah, I fully expect us to lose this one. It'll be a good learning experience for a young team.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We're big underdogs. Netherlands is one of the best teams in the world. We're very talented, but the youngest team to advance. But you never know in soccer. Our defense has been solid, and they haven't looked all that great in this tournament themselves. It should be a low scoring match. If we can find a moment of brilliance from someone like Pulisic, Weah, or Reyna (if Berhalter will finally give him some minutes), we could have a chance.
Interesting side note. Our talented young right back, Sergino Dest, was born and raised in Netherlands. He's Dutch with an American father. How awesome would it be for him to assist on the winning goal.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
From what I saw from us against Iran we looked like a high school team. Just my opinion

patdog

May 28, 2007
From what I saw from us against Iran we looked like a high school team. Just my opinion
No national teams actually look good compared to club teams in the top leagues. You can't develop much chemistry when you're playing maybe a dozen or so games per year spread throughout the whole year and have no practice time except a couple of days before each game. The quality of play in the International game just isn't that good anywhere.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I by no means am a soccer expert but I know England was one of the top favorites to win it all this year and every soccer pundit said we outplayed England and probably should've won that game. So yes we can but it would still be an upset

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
No national teams actually look good compared to club teams in the top leagues. You can't develop much chemistry when you're playing maybe a dozen or so games per year spread throughout the whole year and have no practice time except a couple of days before each game. The quality of play in the International game just isn't that good anywhere.
Exactly. It's a poor version of the game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just for Desoto: don't hurt Van Dyke.
The good news is, not many Liverpool players are going to be advancing to the final four of this tournament, and a couple of those are mostly sitting on the bench for England.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m also a soccer novice, so my comments aren’t worth a thing, but it sure seems like we’re a lot better at keeping the other team from scoring when we’re attacking. This was now twice when we’ve completely dominated possession in a first half, switched to a defensive strategy, and then things almost went south.

Whatever we’ve been doing in second halves, it seems like we need to stop

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m also a soccer novice, so my comments aren’t worth a thing, but it sure seems like we’re a lot better at keeping the other team from scoring when we’re attacking. This was now twice when we’ve completely dominated possession in a first half, switched to a defensive strategy, and then things almost went south.

19.83% chance (actually probably about half that).

You may be a novice, but you already know more about how to protect a 1-goal lead than many of the top soccer coaches in the world. Drives me crazy when teams park the bus (soccer term for what we've been doing in the 2nd half of games) with a 1-goal lead.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The good news is, not many Liverpool players are going to be advancing to the final four of this tournament, and a couple of those are mostly sitting on the bench for England.
Yes, we only had 7 to begin with. Van Dyke is THE one left we can't do without. Whoops, Allison too.

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Interesting side note. Our talented young right back, Sergino Dest, was born and raised in Netherlands. He's Dutch with an American father. How awesome would it be for him to assist on the winning goal.
His header on Tuesday was a thing of beauty. It sort of gets lost in favor of the actual goal, but he took a long looping entry with his head and delivered it exactly where Pulisic could finish. That's a lot harder than he made it look. Incredible assist.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
There's been some good, exciting soccer in this World Cup. I like soccer, I'm American so I like watching and supporting the US national team. We're among the final 16 teams competing. I'm a State grad, I watch State football and not because every year it plays football as well as the best teams in the NCAA or NFL. I like Liverpool too but I've never lived in that city. It's sports and it's the emotional bond. I'm not originally from Mississippi so I didn't care about State or Ole Miss growing up. After a week or so enrolled at State, I learned to dislike Ole Miss.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yes, we only had 7 to begin with. Van Dyke is THE one left we can't do without. Whoops, Allison too.
I actually think we could be OK with Kelleher in goal for a few weeks if we had to. Van Dyke is indispensable though.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

Soccer version of the Stansbury Stall

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
No.

But as it has to be decided on the field of play, their players could all cramp up, be fighting a stomach flu, decide to throw the game for some reason, etc. and our players could play out of their minds...

so there is always a chance. But not really. It would be 10x's greater than the Miracle on Ice.

Alexi_Lalas

May 7, 2014
No.

But as it has to be decided on the field of play, their players could all cramp up, be fighting a stomach flu, decide to throw the game for some reason, etc. and our players could play out of their minds...

so there is always a chance. But not really. It would be 10x's greater than the Miracle on Ice.
LOL. While this would certainly be an upset, this would be nowhere near the "Miracle on Ice". This is far from Netherlands best team and they have never won a WC. That USSR team had won 6 straight Gold Medals and were playing college kids. The talent disparity between the US and the Netherlands is nowhere near the difference between the USSR team and the US hockey team.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
LOL. While this would certainly be an upset, this would be nowhere near the "Miracle on Ice". This is far from Netherlands best team and they have never won a WC. That USSR team had won 6 straight Gold Medals and were playing college kids. The talent disparity between the US and the Netherlands is nowhere near the difference between the USSR team and the US hockey team.
^^^ Username definitely checks out

I agree with you. Ned has not looked great so far in the tournament. They missed qualifying at the last World Cup just like we did. They are a better team, sure, but 10x the miracle on ice may be a bit of a stretch. lol

Reactions: Alexi_Lalas

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The World Cup is also something players want to play in, even the richest ones (they aren't opting out of a say, a bowl game, for instance). Winning the World Cup matters, even advancing out of group play matters and you can see the emotional toll it takes on some players. Soccer is something that's largely middle and upper-class in America. Notice how much more intelligent our players sound in interviews than the undereducated English players. In the rest of the world, it's a working class and poor man's game where nationalism has a much greater role. We've got nice soccer moms who hate violence and regard soccer as morally superior to American football, pay-to-play soccer leagues, and trophy participation tournaments. It's got status here. No offense, but it's not the preferred sport of those who live in trailer parks or inner cities. In the rest of the world nationalism matters and that's why there are more racist incidents in world soccer than in American soccer. Being successful at soccer just matters more in the rest of the world. They take losses hard, especially to countries they regard as international rivals.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
I think what people forget is back then the athletes on the teams were all amateurs, but the USSR (and all the communist countries) basically kept their best athletes as 'amateurs' and paid them handsomely. The American athletes were college players or former college players who weren't in the NHL. A strategy like this wouldn't work in the modern world because even a large country could not keep a dedicated set of athletes who would get good enough to win, even if we paid each player $25 million a year to only play for the international team. Our players would not be getting enough play time against the best in the world (in the professional leagues) to really develop.

Actual professional soccer is significantly better than international soccer. I'd wager a middle of the pack Premier League squad could beat the WC champs. Not because of talent, but because of how that talent can play together.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I think what people forget is back then the athletes on the teams were all amateurs, but the USSR (and all the communist countries) basically kept their best athletes as 'amateurs' and paid them handsomely. The American athletes were college players or former college players who weren't in the NHL. A strategy like this wouldn't work in the modern world because even a large country could not keep a dedicated set of athletes who would get good enough to win, even if we paid each player $25 million a year to only play for the international team. Our players would not be getting enough play time against the best in the world (in the professional leagues) to really develop.

Actual professional soccer is significantly better than international soccer. I'd wager a middle of the pack Premier League squad could beat the WC champs. Not because of talent, but because of how that talent can play together.
Sure it could. It could also lose. How much time would the national team get to prepare for such a match?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It would be close to the Miracle on Ice. There is a huge disparity in talent.

Alexi_Lalas

May 7, 2014
It would be close to the Miracle on Ice. There is a huge disparity in talent.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. England is objectively a better team than the Netherlands and the US went toe to toe with them for 90+ minutes. Also, the US soccer "Miracle on Ice" moment has already occurred. Happened in the 1950 WC when the US beat England 1-0. That was a shock.

Do I expect the US to win on Saturday, No. Will I be surprised if the US does, Yes. Will I be shocked if they do, No.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I don't think there's a huge disparity. There's a disparity but we can play with Dutch. Their goalie plays for Heerenveen. How many have even heard of that team and knows the city the team plays in (trick question)? England had more stars, but they didn't score. I think the disparity in football between Alabama and State is greater than the disparity between the US and the Netherlands in soccer. I don't expect the Netherlands to blow us out, something Alabama does routinely. And yet we still watch and hope State wins.

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
That's a pretty good analogy. But we do have a chance. I don't think Netherlands is any better than England (despite the fact Netherlands is #4 and England is #8 in the ELO rankings). And we drew vs England and very well could have won the game. But yeah, I fully expect us to lose this one. It'll be a good learning experience for a young team.
I don't understand how the Netherlands (17 million people) is better than England (55 million people) in a sport that England virtually invented along with having the best league in the world in their country. Makes no sense to me how that's possible

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't understand how the Netherlands (17 million people) is better than England (55 million people) in a sport that England virtually invented along with having the best league in the world in their country. Makes no sense to me how that's possible
Most of the biggest stars in the EPL are not English.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. England is objectively a better team than the Netherlands and the US went toe to toe with them for 90+ minutes. Also, the US soccer "Miracle on Ice" moment has already occurred. Happened in the 1950 WC when the US beat England 1-0. That was a shock.

Do I expect the US to win on Saturday, No. Will I be surprised if the US does, Yes. Will I be shocked if they do, No.
The English looked to be playing for a draw to me. The knock out round is a bit different than the group stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogBlitz