WZZQ

Oct 2, 2022
ZZQ not only provided great music but integrated musical comedy into their line up as well. I vividly remember several mornings getting ready for school and hearing Cheech and Chong’s, “Ear Ache My Eye”. They also played a lot of Frank Zappa and then comedy sketches from Monty Python. In short, it wasn’t just the music that made them a great radio station.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
ZZQ not only provided great music but integrated musical comedy into their line up as well. I vividly remember several mornings getting ready for school and hearing Cheech and Chong’s, “Ear Ache My Eye”. They also played a lot of Frank Zappa and then comedy sketches from Monty Python. In short, it wasn’t just the music that made them a great radio station.
I was too young for WZZQ, but do recall a couple stations in the Pine Belt doing some really funny skits. Maybe B95 and then later Rock 104? Seems like there was a dude named Scoche (sp?) who was a real riot, at least to adolescent Dorn.

And then there was Earl Pitts and Shirley Q Liquor and, well, they were funny at the time...

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I was too young for WZZQ, but do recall a couple stations in the Pine Belt doing some really funny skits. Maybe B95 and then later Rock 104? Seems like there was a dude named Scoche (sp?) who was a real riot, at least to adolescent Dorn.

And then there was Earl Pitts and Shirley Q Liquor and, well, they were funny at the time...
Skosh Elkins, he was from Laurel and worked for awhile at WNSL and then pretty sure moved around to others in the area.

Reactions: dorndawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, what made it great was you had all these wild, creative guys free to do basically whatever the 17 they wanted. Regimented stations played approved hot singles. Those guys could play whatever they wanted.

Hence, Perez played Lawyers, Guns and Money 4,000 times.

Reactions: Dr Strangelove

Latest posts