Yes, it's ok to be excited about Sellers

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
No, that doesn't have to mean you believe he's going to win the Heisman this year, or any silly hyperbole like that. I've run into so many USC fans who react negatively anytime you say something positive about Sellers. Usually, their response includes scoffing at his showing vs Furman.

I know we've been burned in the QB department lately and are mostly conditioned to disappointment. Before Rattler brought some stability, we had a good run of disappointment going. Nobody we'd brought in since Thompson had really panned out at all. We started a walk-on for a while. Then we had McIlwain, who looked like a totally different player here than he did on his high school tape...in a bad way. That led to a few seasons of Bentley, who was always just ok, but never quite lived up to the hype that surrounded him coming out of high school...he seemed about as good at the end as he was at the beginning. Hilinksi didn't pan out (though I think he was a victim of circumstance in some ways and would have fared much better on a better team). We then had the dreadful Collin Hill abomination...one of the darkest times for us at QB. 2021 was a patchwork QB operation which saw us start a grad assistant and 4 different QBs total. Along the way we brought in two local QBs who came in with much local hype, but never found footing as QBs and ended up playing other positions.

All that to say, the QB position has been mostly a letdown for us until Rattler arrived, and he was cursed by lack of support pretty much anywhere else on offense (or defense for that matter). But I'm feeling good about Sellers. He appears to have the physical tools and already has an NFL build at 6'3", 235 lbs. From the limited action we've seen, he's flashed the ability to make throws and also be tough to tackle as a runner. Sure, he could wilt when he goes up against the likes of Bama or LSU etc, but I'm not going to assume it's going to happen.

To some of our fans, to be excited about him means you have to think he's going to win 3 Heisman trophies. But it IS ok to be excited about one of our young players. I promise. It's ok.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
No, that doesn't have to mean you believe he's going to win the Heisman this year, or any silly hyperbole like that. I've run into so many USC fans who react negatively anytime you say something positive about Sellers. Usually, their response includes scoffing at his showing vs Furman.

I know we've been burned in the QB department lately and are mostly conditioned to disappointment. Before Rattler brought some stability, we had a good run of disappointment going. Nobody we'd brought in since Thompson had really panned out at all. We started a walk-on for a while. Then we had McIlwain, who looked like a totally different player here than he did on his high school tape...in a bad way. That led to a few seasons of Bentley, who was always just ok, but never quite lived up to the hype that surrounded him coming out of high school...he seemed about as good at the end as he was at the beginning. Hilinksi didn't pan out (though I think he was a victim of circumstance in some ways and would have fared much better on a better team). We then had the dreadful Collin Hill abomination...one of the darkest times for us at QB. 2021 was a patchwork QB operation which saw us start a grad assistant and 4 different QBs total. Along the way we brought in two local QBs who came in with much local hype, but never found footing as QBs and ended up playing other positions.

All that to say, the QB position has been mostly a letdown for us until Rattler arrived, and he was cursed by lack of support pretty much anywhere else on offense (or defense for that matter). But I'm feeling good about Sellers. He appears to have the physical tools and already has an NFL build at 6'3", 235 lbs. From the limited action we've seen, he's flashed the ability to make throws and also be tough to tackle as a runner. Sure, he could wilt when he goes up against the likes of Bama or LSU etc, but I'm not going to assume it's going to happen.

To some of our fans, to be excited about him means you have to think he's going to win 3 Heisman trophies. But it IS ok to be excited about one of our young players. I promise. It's ok.
Don't forget about Connor "4 star" Mitch!

I'm excited about Sellers for sure. He's flashed potential, but to this point that's all it is. I've tried to be reasonable with my expectations. This kid is young, with basically no experience. He's going to make mistakes. He's definitely not going to be perfect. But hopefully the potential turns into reality and he becomes a special player for us.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Don't forget about Connor "4 star" Mitch!

I'm excited about Sellers for sure. He's flashed potential, but to this point that's all it is. I've tried to be reasonable with my expectations. This kid is young, with basically no experience. He's going to make mistakes. He's definitely not going to be perfect. But hopefully the potential turns into reality and he becomes a special player for us.

I'm probably more bullish than most. My friend was on the staff when Lanorris was in middle school and he texted me way back then that they had a QB who would be playing D1 someday, so I've been keeping tabs on him for a while.

I just think he looks like a good QB.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
You forgot the Heisman lock Doty who was going to lead us to Atlanta.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I'm probably more bullish than most. My friend was on the staff when Lanorris was in middle school and he texted me way back then that they had a QB who would be playing D1 someday, so I've been keeping tabs on him for a while.

I just think he looks like a good QB.
I really hope so!

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Nobody ever thought he was nearly that good.
Heck, FGF was full of people who were sure he was the long awaited savior at qb. I've become very jaded over the years when it comes to the next great player at any position. I have learned to wait until I see them actually produce results on the field in real games against real competition.

GCJerryUSC

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 17, 2022
I've become cynical about these QB hype posts. Have been disappointed a lot of the time. Spurrier seemed to get a lot out of his QBs for the most part. Too bad he lost interest and was just collecting a check at the end. Same with Holtz.
I'm just glad we aren't on the ACC Titanic. Hope Shane can surprise again this season. He is dedicated and hard working and may just be another Joe Morrison.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I've become cynical about these QB hype posts. Have been disappointed a lot of the time. Spurrier seemed to get a lot out of his QBs for the most part. Too bad he lost interest and was just collecting a check at the end. Same with Holtz.
I'm just glad we aren't on the ACC Titanic. Hope Shane can surprise again this season. He is dedicated and hard working and may just be another Joe Morrison.

You obviously didn't read the OP b/c this is anything but a hype post. Not even remotely close.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Heck, FGF was full of people who were sure he was the long awaited savior at qb. I've become very jaded over the years when it comes to the next great player at any position. I have learned to wait until I see them actually produce results on the field in real games against real competition.
Seems to me he wasn't on campus long before we started hearing rumblings that his future might be at WR.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
lol, we really are beat down as a fan base. I guess I get it.

If you've watched any football, though, Sellers has the "look". It's not a guarantee, of course, but he's the first QB we've recruited in a very long time that looks the part. For that reason alone, I'm optimistic.

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jan 28, 2022
He's the most physically talented QB I have seen come to Carolina in the forty or so years that I can remember watching QBs play. He has big time ability and unbelievable upside. Rarely do I think we have can't miss guys....but I think he's one of them. He reminds me of a Harold Green (rb) or Sterling Sharpe when they came through....Just has every tool imaginable and the intangibles as well....IMO he's that good a prospect.
I just hope for no major injuries.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
He's the most physically talented QB I have seen come to Carolina in the forty or so years that I can remember watching QBs play. He has big time ability and unbelievable upside. Rarely do I think we have can't miss guys....but I think he's one of them. He reminds me of a Harold Green (rb) or Sterling Sharpe when they came through....Just has every tool imaginable and the intangibles as well....IMO he's that good a prospect.
I just hope for no major injuries.

Yes, for those who have been watching, we haven't had a QB with Sellers' physical abilities in quite a very long time. He already has a prototypical QB build at 6'3", 240. May need to drop a bit of weight, but that's no biggie.

I guess we've just had so many QB flops in the last decade...basically every QB we've recruited aside from Bentley has been total bust...I can understand why folks are skittish. But none of those had Sellers physical abilities and skill set.

For sure, nobody's counting chickens (pun) before they hatch, but it's not hard at all to see his potential.

I'm embracing it. If I'm right, it'll make it that much more enjoyable to say "I told you so". If I'm wrong, well, that's just business as usual for us.

Reactions: DrMickeySC

kidrobinski

Jan 30, 2022
I said this last year and I’ll repeat. There’s been 4 guys, three I played against in high school, one I saw, who were obvious different animals; Freddie Solomon, Alexander English, Jim Rice, and Demetris Summers. Sellers is the 5th.

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I know ppl dislike when we overhype a player but I think Sellers earned some of the hype. How many QBs did we land go undefeated in high school their last two seasons? That’s 6’3 and 240? That can actually run and can actual throw as good as him? I’m 100% with you on this

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I know ppl dislike when we overhype a player but I think Sellers earned some of the hype. How many QBs did we land go undefeated in high school their last two seasons? That’s 6’3 and 240? That can actually run and can actual throw as good as him? I’m 100% with you on this

I'm trying to be careful not to hype him b/c we have many hyped players here not pan out. However, it's easy to look at him and see there's something different about him, as @kidrobinski notes, and be excited about.

Contrary to what some of our fans think, it IS ok as fans to be excited about a player.

I'm not sure how you could be a fan and not be excited.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Any excitement over any aspect of our football program should be entered into advisedly.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
He definitely has the physical tools to be the real deal. If he gets the mental part down of reading SEC defenses and avoiding unforced errors AND he is surrounded by complimentary talent, it is not unrealistic to expect big things.

Reactions: Maccmaine12

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I get it.

For me, though, we’ve had so little to be excited about in the last 10 years, I’m embracing Sellers’ potential.
Realization alone will pique my interest, and only if accompanied by improvement in our record.

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022

I am excited about Sellers!! He is a beast as far as his size for a 19 year old man. He completes every pass he throws and oh what fun we will have watching him tuck and run it!! I think he will be the best quarterback short of Connor Shaw at USC!!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I am excited about Sellers!! He is a beast as far as his size for a 19 year old man. He completes every pass he throws and oh what fun we will have watching him tuck and run it!! I think he will be the best quarterback short of Connor Shaw at USC!!
He needs to be better than that.

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022

You could count on one hand the number of seasons we've had high level QB play since Taneyhill took his last snap(and even he was inconsistent during his 4 years).

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
I said this last year and I’ll repeat. There’s been 4 guys, three I played against in high school, one I saw, who were obvious different animals; Freddie Solomon, Alexander English, Jim Rice, and Demetris Summers. Sellers is the 5th.
My position coach in high school was the DC for Ft. Dorchester back in 2000 when Summers single handedly sent them home from the playoffs

Latest posts