Your go-to cocktail?

JustinHopkins

Scoop Duck Publisher
Staff member
Jul 21, 2021
Are you an old fashioned guy? Mule? Something else? Do you have a drink that isn't a common recipe?

What you got?

(FWIW, I'm a Kentucky Mule guy, which I learned Nashville refers to as a Tennessee mule)

I also like a good bourbon smash.

LarstheRed

Jun 1, 2022
A good Old Fashion is hard to beat. But I don't really have a 'go to', as I change based on the seasons or just on the occasional whim, but I re-acquainted myself with a cocktail I used to make many years ago in a bar I worked at. A Whiskey Sour, a tasty summer sipper in the heat of Texas. Simple, but really refreshing, and if you don't use egg white, you are really losing the textural component that is darn good. The only other out of the blue one I had recently was a Pimms Cup. I was walking by a 'quick sale rack' at a local liquor store and saw the bottle of Pimms, so I figured I had to take a trip down memory lane. My only change was using ginger beer instead of ginger ale, primarily because I think it has a much better ginger bite. The last kind of oddball was another one of those 'quick sale rack' refugees. They had a bottle of Metaxa 12 Star. 40 years ago I was working at a bar that also had a great smoke shop attached. A couple of regulars were enjoying a smoke and wanted me to make them something different. I came up with a Greek Old Fashion using Metaxa. I muddled orange zest with the sugar and bitters to bring more oil out, and served them up. Those old farts hammered those down like they were Fresca. 2/3s of a bottle we never used was gone. If you have a bottle and can't figure out what to do with it, try a Greek Old Fashion.

Sok454

Dec 29, 2021
If it's not whiskey neat, then it's an old fashioned w Rye and not overly sweet.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
Kentucky Mule as of late. Old Fashioned, Manhattan. Or just straight, shaken or stirred in ice and strained.

Reactions: VolKrawler

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
As we get into fall - Bourbon Old Fashioned. I am not specific to a make of bourbon though.

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
As we get into fall - Bourbon Old Fashioned. I am not specific to a make of bourbon though.
I don't know if I mentioned this somewhere else on this website, but I brought back some bourbon barrel aged maple syrup from Heaven Hill. I use that with black walnut butter to make an old fashioned. I tell my wife it's the middle aged guys version of a pumpkin spice latte.

Last edited:

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
I don't know if I mentioned this somewhere else on this website, but I brought back form bourbon barrel aged maple syrup from Heaven Hill. I use that with black walnut butter to make an old fashioned. I tell my wife it's the middle aged guys version of a pumpkin spice latte.
Oooh! We have some of that from a summer trip to Vermont!!!

• Love
Reactions: MLU