1.Best UK Memory with your DadIn honor of Father's Day, please comment your best UK related memory with your dad. If your dad wasn't a Kentucky fan, then comment your favorite overall memory. For me, my best UK memory with my dad is hard. I could choose the first time he took me to Rupp Arena for a game, watching the National Championship victory in 2012 or even just coming home from college and getting to watch games with him on the couch. The memory I keep coming to is when we made the trek to Chicago to watch Kentucky play UCLA in 2014. Of course we all know how that turned out. It was an amazing environment and a great time to celebrate a big Kentucky win! Here is a picture we took on that day:
2. 2019 Four-Star Safety Keontra Smith CommitsYesterday, the Cats received another big commitment. This time it was four-star safety Keontra Smith. Smith is a 5'11" safety out of Hollywood, Florida. He also held offers schools like: Auburn, Louisville, Oklahoma, Oregon, Ole Miss and Wisconsin. Watch Smith work below:
3. Sydney McLaughlin is FastSydney McLaughlin will be joining the Kentucky track and field team starting this year. Today, she broke the high school record for the fastest split in the 4x400m dash by running a time of 49.85 seconds. That is absolute insanity. You can watch her make an embarrassment out of her competition in the video below:
49.85 seconds ðŸ˜³Sydney McLaughlin just made history for the fastest 400m split ever by a high schooler (via @ThereGoesHamza) pic.twitter.com/tU0F6lfZhA – Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) June 18, 2017
4. Vote for the KSR Summer Host Contest!As Matt gets ready to embark on his European vacation, the KSR team is looking for a host for one hour of an upcoming KSR show. We have left this decision up to you the readers. By clicking HERE, you can listen to the candidates and vote for who you think should host. All five of the finalists are extremely talented, so everyone has a tough choice.
5. ICYMI: UK Athletics Year RecapIn case you missed it, last weekend I put together a recap of all of UK's NCAA sanctioned sports from the past year. If you haven't already, be sure to give it a read by clicking HERE. There are also polls to vote for the best team and best moment from the past school year in UK Athletics!
6. Final Day of the US OpenToday is the final day of the US Open and the field is wide open. Here is your up-to-date leaderboard: Personally, I am cheering for Ricky Fowler to finally get the monkey off of his back and win his first major title, but Justin Thomas is coming off of shooting -9 on Saturday to break Johnny Miller's 40-year old record for best US Open round score relative to par.
7. Pleasure Ridge Park wins State Baseball Title[caption id="attachment_223403" align="alignnone" width="369"] @AlexSlitzPhoto[/caption] Congrats do go out to Pleasure Ridge Park for winning the KHSAA Baseball tournament. The Panthers defeated Simon Kenton 6-5 to take home the crown.
8. Report: Celtics trade Number One PickAs I was typing this, this news broke. Multiple media outlets are reporting that the Boston Celtics are trading the number one overall pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for the number three pick and future first round selections. The 76ers are expected to take Markelle Fultz with the number one overall pick. Adrian Wojnarowski reported this: https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/876267930572513282
9. Reds unvail Pete Rose Statue[caption id="attachment_223420" align="alignnone" width="330"] @Reds[/caption] Yesterday, the Cincinnati Reds unveiled a statue for Pete Rose. Rose's statue features his signature headfirst slide. While the Reds fell to the Dodgers, 10-2, the loss was overshadowed by Pete Rose continuing to get more of the respect he deserves. Personally, I think MLB must put Pete into the Hall of Fame. Rose is arguably one of the best to ever take the diamond and it is a crime that he is not in the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. In my opinion, he has served his time being banned from baseball. Let him in!
10. Birthdays of the Day[caption id="attachment_223418" align="alignnone" width="200"] Big Blue History[/caption] For those that have read my wake-up posts before, you know that I like to add in celebrity birthdays. In addition to that, there is also a former Cat that would be celebrating a birthday today. Don Branson was born on this day in 1882. Branson played in three games that we know of for Kentucky basketball during the 1904-1905 season. Branson also played football and ran track and field for the Cats before serving as a Major in the US Army for 27 years. He passed away February 19, 1979 at the age of 96. Other Birthdays include:
- Paul McCartney- 75
- Blake Shelton- 41