“Faculty Senate hears leadership updates on University’s operations and future” (“great at scale”)

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure if this is exactly relevant but whatever. I was big in faculty governance, tenure and promotion committees, faculty committees. I was the best memorandum writer on campus. My point: people who serve in faculty governance and the faculty senate do so because they aren’t good at research.

Reactions: Bison13

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure if this is exactly relevant but whatever. I was big in faculty governance, tenure and promotion committees, faculty committees. I was the best memorandum writer on campus. My point: people who serve in faculty governance and the faculty senate do so because they aren’t good at research.

“Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.”

Of course, I can’t, so I don’t. And I am a sh|tty teacher. 😞

Reactions: Bison13

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I know you’re just playing but I was proud of my teaching.
I am as well, and that’s the reason that I chose to do the young teacher mentoring rather than do administrative work at the board. I’m probably also the only person in my position that actively goes into the classroom to help these young teachers by partnering in teaching their lessons. While the stacks of paperwork and having to put up with administrators who don’t know what they are talking about was the reason to get out of the classroom, getting back in there every so often to work with kids is very nice.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I am as well, and that’s the reason that I chose to do the young teacher mentoring rather than do administrative work at the board. I’m probably also the only person in my position that actively goes into the classroom to help these young teachers by partnering in teaching their lessons. While the stacks of paperwork and having to put up with administrators who don’t know what they are talking about was the reason to get out of the classroom, getting back in there every so often to work with kids is very nice.
Yeah, about three years before I retired I was offered an administrative position, turned it down. No regrets. I had some fine students my last years, mutually advantageous partnerships. We did some damn fine work together.

Take of this what you will: in 38 years I mentioned politics in my classes exactly three times. Math really is the easiest course to teach. Max Dehn: “Mathematics is the only instructional material that can be presented in an entirely undogmatic way.”