2022-23 Portal Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use this to discuss non-PSU players that enter the portal that perhaps PSU should be targeting, or any PSU players that enter the portal.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
He attended Texas A&M Commerce, and has received quite a few offers (not from PSU, that I know of) from P5 schools since announcing he was entering the portal:

Whart

Oct 8, 2021
FC: Michigan QB Cade McNamara has hit the portal as a Grad Transfer. Solid QB should garner lots of interest.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
So far, he's liked a bunch of tweets about ASU hiring Kenny Dillingham as their new head coach as well as another tweet urging him to visit Miami.
Official talk can't start until Dec. 5th. Nothing to lose right?

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
Michigan backup QB Cade MacNamara entered the transfer portal

He would be a really good pick up for a team needing a quality QB. Might look to go South to Tennessee, Auburn, LSU or West to Oregon, UCLA, or USC? Possibly Wisconsin or Notre Dame to try to beat out their returning starters? Coming off surgery after only playing in two (?) games, so he preserved his eligibility.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Michigan backup QB Cade MacNamara entered the transfer portal

He would be a really good pick up for a team needing a quality QB. Might look to go South to Tennessee, Auburn, LSU or West to Oregon, UCLA, or USC? Possibly Wisconsin or Notre Dame to try to beat out their returning starters? Coming off surgery after only playing in two (?) games, so he preserved his eligibility.

I read somewhere he has 3 years eligibility if he takes the covid year.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Local NEPA lad and starting TE for the Terps, CJ Dippre, entering the portal, 6’5” 260 and quite the blocker too. Do we need another TE??

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Local NEPA lad and starting TE for the Terps, CJ Dippre, entering the portal, 6’5” 260 and quite the blocker too. Do we need another TE??
If Strange does not leave they would be 8 scholly TE next year.

Strange
Johnson
Warren
Dinkins
Cross
The two incoming scholly TEs
Dipre

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
If Strange does not leave they would be 8 scholly TE next year.

Strange
Johnson
Warren
Dinkins
Cross
The two incoming scholly TEs
Dipre
I don’t think it’s out of the question that Strange could declare for the draft. Not completely out of left field to think Johnson could consider it also?

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t think it’s out of the question that Strange could declare for the draft. Not completely out of left field to think Johnson could consider it also?
They can both consider it....the question is - Will the NFL consider them? I think Strange may declare, but I also think Johnson will come back for one more year.

Reactions: PSUFTG

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
They can both consider it....the question is - Will the NFL consider them? I think Strange may declare, but I also think Johnson will come back for one more year.
I hope you are right. On the surface, it would seem like an easy decision for Johnson to come back and be “the guy” next year. However, as we have seen the last few years, the NFL grades guys on measurables and potential and Johnson has both.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Is there a typical time frame in which a player would declare themselves for the draft? Asking because of the possibility of someone declaring for the draft so late that the portal has dried up.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Is there a typical time frame in which a player would declare themselves for the draft? Asking because of the possibility of someone declaring for the draft so late that the portal has dried up.
The portal has a 45 day window from 12/5 I believe. Then, there is a 15 day window in April. The draft declaration happens in January, alhtough I don't know if the first portal window and the draft declaration overlap.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
PSURO summarized the gist of it.

A more thorough read here (and there are a "****-ton" of exceptions, qualifiers, and special situations):

College football's new transfer portal windows, explained (espn.com)

"The first window opens the day after the championship teams are selected, which will be Dec. 5, and closes 45 days later on Jan. 18, 2023. There is also a 15-day spring period from May 1-15."

That all said, there are the "rules", and there is "the way it happens". For all intents and purposes, the "portal" is open 24/7/365 - as far as kids letting it be known - to the people who matter - that they are "on the market".

Last edited: