2022-23 Portal Thread

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Fitz and Bauer strongly suggesting the fight to keep some top PSU players from leaving for NiL money is very real. Latest podcast is a good one. They mentioned Michigan’s top recruit just bailed for Miami and their NIL money. If an undefeated season and CFP appearance isn’t enough, we’re in trouble.

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021

Norte Lame’s starting QB leaving after starting 10 games and having a pretty good year. 3 years of eligibility remaining. Trouble in Stink Bend???

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
I was excited about Rodney when he signed. I like most of the projects it amounts to nothing.
Best wishes at Indiana Rodney

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I missed this on Thursday (12/1). Sorry if it was posted in another thread on the board.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
The Cade McNamara transfer says a lot about the person more than the situation. Yes, I know you can't help the team physically on the field because of injury. But geez, you were the starting QB last year and for the first 2 games this year on a team that made the playoffs in back-to-back seasons and have a real chance to win a championship this season. So now, you're not only bailing on the team before the season ends -- and could at least help with scouting and in the film room -- but you're also going to a conference rival? I hope whatever stuff he had left in that locker room was sitting on the curb as soon as that announcement was made.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Not a big surprise here; I'm quite confident PSU was expecting this.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
The Cade McNamara transfer says a lot about the person more than the situation. Yes, I know you can't help the team physically on the field because of injury. But geez, you were the starting QB last year and for the first 2 games this year on a team that made the playoffs in back-to-back seasons and have a real chance to win a championship this season. So now, you're not only bailing on the team before the season ends -- and could at least help with scouting and in the film room -- but you're also going to a conference rival? I hope whatever stuff he had left in that locker room was sitting on the curb as soon as that announcement was made.
Yikes.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Is there an official portal signing day? If not we need one. Full coverage by ESPN with multiple hats 🧢 on the table, and the talking heads explaining everything to us dullards. Every coach in America sadly telling us how great the kids were that transferred out, but excitedly proclaiming how greater the kids are that transferred in.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Sorry I’m late to the party, because I’m sure many of you already know this. But I just read 46% of the players that enter the portal don’t receive a scholarship at another school. (I was unable to pull over the article to this site). Just another example of university administrations and the NCAA failing at their job.

I’m in favor of the portal when kids are able to rectify an initial mistake in choosing a school or to get playing time where they’re never going to see the field. But if true, the above percentage is a disgrace.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Sorry I’m late to the party, because I’m sure many of you already know this. But I just read 46% of the players that enter the portal don’t receive a scholarship at another school. (I was unable to pull over the article to this site). Just another example of university administrations and the NCAA failing at their job.

I’m in favor of the portal when kids are able to rectify an initial mistake in choosing a school or to get playing time where they’re never going to see the field. But if true, the above percentage is a disgrace.

zzz.

I see it as more of a grass is greener on the other side situation. Plus, the data you're looking at is somewhat skewed, as players had an extra year of eligibility due to COVID, but some leagues (like the Ivy) didn't allow an extra year for their athletes. Lastly, there are elite athletes that enter the portal that have offers or interest from most of the elite programs. But the vast majority of the players that enter are not considered elite, so it's not a surprise if they attract little or no interest. The portal is good in that players aren't locked into a bad situation. But too many players enter it without appearing to have a realistic understanding of the environment.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

This is the first time NIL has been combined with the transfer portal so past numbers aren't really relevant now. So, along with other schools coming to poach your players for more NIL money, I read that kids may be entering the portal to try to get more NIL money at their current school. Problem is, nobody knows what players or positions are worth so it's a complete 💩 show.

Reactions: Bison13 and Tom_PSU

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
This probably deserve's its own thread, but I'll leave it here as it's transfer news from a team captain.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
This is the first time NIL has been combined with the transfer portal so past numbers aren't really relevant now. So, along with other schools coming to poach your players for more NIL money, I read that kids may be entering the portal to try to get more NIL money at their current school. Problem is, nobody knows what players or positions are worth so it's a complete 💩 show.
That may a better way of explaining my point. Even if my numbers weren’t accurate the inclusion of NIL may further increase the numbers of those not being able to find new homes with a scholarship. God knows many players have an elevated opinion of their abilities, their perceived slights and many receive bad advice. Not all these guys are going to find the NIL pot of gold, because in part as you stated there is is no universal valuation of players or positions. The marginal transfer was always at risk, but the vast increase in numbers only exacerbates his situation.

The portal has many positive advantages for certain players. However the lack of regulation by University Administrators and the NCAA definitely appears to be causing as much individual harm as good. I don’t consider myself to be naive or pollyannish, but something is seriously amiss here.

Reactions: LionJim

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
That may a better way of explaining my point. Even if my numbers weren’t accurate the inclusion of NIL may further increase the numbers of those not being able to find new homes with a scholarship. God knows many players have an elevated opinion of their abilities, their perceived slights and many receive bad advice. Not all these guys are going to find the NIL pot of gold, because in part as you stated there is is no universal valuation of players or positions. The marginal transfer was always at risk, but the vast increase in numbers only exacerbates his situation.

The portal has many positive advantages for certain players. However the lack of regulation by University Administrators and the NCAA definitely appears to be causing as much individual harm as good. I don’t consider myself to be naive or pollyannish, but something is seriously amiss here.
All these problems point to the NCAA burying their head in the sand when they had a chance to do something, and now they can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Tom_PSU

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021

1/2 of the "Portal" activity is what used to be called "Processing".

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Noticing we have sent out more offers earlier than the last 2 years. Is this part of Franklin's expanded support staff (more people reviewing players earlier, identifying kids who fit quicker)?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Noticing we have sent out more offers earlier than the last 2 years. Is this part of Franklin's expanded support staff (more people reviewing players earlier, identifying kids who fit quicker)?

Multiple factors:

- they've learned from their prior 2 years
- support staff were tasked during the season to project where there would be coaching changes, or unhappy players, so they were prepared when players announced they were going to enter the portal, or their name(s) suddenly appeared in the portal
- a number of guys that entered the portal are players with who 1) PSU recruited when they were in high school, or 2) a PSU coach recruited at a different university when they were there. Prior relationships can help (not always) them make contact, and get a conversation going
- With so many kids entering the portal, a combination of the above can help, as things can move pretty quickly with some of the top prospects in the portal

Last edited: