2022-23 Portal Thread

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Multiple factors:

- they've learned from their prior 2 years
- support staff were tasked during the season to project where there would be coaching changes, or unhappy players, so they were prepared when players announced they were going to enter the portal, or their name(s) suddenly appeared in the portal
- a number of guys that entered the portal are players with who 1) PSU recruited when they were in high school, or 2) a PSU coach recruited at a different university when they were there. Prior relationships can help (not always) them make contact, and get a conversation going
- With so many kids entering the portal, a combination of the above can help, as things can move pretty quickly with some of the top prospects in the portal

I dig it. Thank you for the information and perspective.

Beat Utah. 15-0 next year!

Last edited by a moderator:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Someone (@CF Lion ?) pointed out that Cade McNamara, by entering the portal now, will not play for Michigan in any CFP games. I was astounded that McNamara would pass up the opportunity to be part of a NC team. What benefit is there, if any, for a player to enter the portal now instead of waiting until after his team’s bowl game?

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Someone (@CF Lion ?) pointed out that Cade McNamara, by entering the portal now, will not play for Michigan in any CFP games. I was astounded that McNamara would pass up the opportunity to be part of a NC team. What benefit is there, if any, for a player to enter the portal now instead of waiting until after his team’s bowl game?
I thought he was injured and not available. And entering early can only increase your total interest - you can always pass on early offers and wait it out. If you enter late others could conceivably be taken by a school you’d consider.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I thought he was injured and not available. And entering early can only increase your total interest - you can always pass on early offers and wait it out. If you enter late others could conceivably be taken by a school you’d consider.
Yeah, I just now checked and he was declared “out for the season.” Still, your comments make sense.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Yeah, I just now checked and he was declared “out for the season.” Still, your comments make sense.
Yeah, kind of like relaxing a constraint in an optimization problem. Oops, that’s low-end applied math stuff 🤣

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Well, some Georgia ST player hit the portal today.

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
As with most of todays players, it is ALL about HIM.

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
Fitz and Bauer strongly suggesting the fight to keep some top PSU players from leaving for NiL money is very real. Latest podcast is a good one. They mentioned Michigan’s top recruit just bailed for Miami and their NIL money. If an undefeated season and CFP appearance isn’t enough, we’re in trouble.
High school football is a mess with recruiting. College football is a mess in so many ways. At least you know about salary, bonuses, and cap hits with the NFL. But the NFL is full of nit wits.
I really have to make a business decision on where to put my time, energy, and money.

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
This year's portal crop is a real barometer of JCF's energy, persuasion and credentials. Given what we pay him, we Lions fans should expect that we start picking and choosing in the portal for our needs in any given year. We should get 2 of the WRs we want to catch the bolts from the Chubby Chucker, we should be able to get any defender who loves to sack quarterbacks, and we should be able to recruit any road grader we want. Period.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This year's portal crop is a real barometer of JCF's energy, persuasion and credentials. Given what we pay him, we Lions fans should expect that we start picking and choosing in the portal for our needs in any given year. We should get 2 of the WRs we want to catch the bolts from the Chubby Chucker, we should be able to get any defender who loves to sack quarterbacks, and we should be able to recruit any road grader we want. Period.

smh

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
Yeah, because if CJF doesn’t get a guy out of the portal it is all his fault. 🙄

The players entering the portal are not necessarily all looking for more playing time. Some of them are looking for more $$$ in terms of NIL deals.

Portal has changed very quickly, why do you think over 1000 players entered.

Reactions: FTLPSU

FTLPSU

Oct 6, 2021
After researching and reviewing the comments I think what we really need to do to compete with portal enrollees is we need to build a very large church. Matter of fact many different types of churches, so we can make sure each group is properly represented. They need to be the tallest best looking religious establishments with state of the art sound systems and ones that will be photo art for TikTok, instagram, and Twitter posts.

Reactions: Midnighter

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Brains and academics don’t win championships.

Stanford says hi.

They've had at least 1 NCAA championship team since the 1976-77 school year. In 2022, I believe they won championships in men's gymnastics, women's water polo, and women's golf, and are in the WVB playoffs.

Reactions: BobPSU92

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Stanford says hi.

They've had at least 1 NCAA championship team since the 1976-77 school year. In 2022, I believe they won championships in men's gymnastics, women's water polo, and women's golf, and are in the WVB playoffs.

But not in football. Anyway, Penn State laughs at stanford.

Reactions: Bison13

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
But not in football. Anyway, Penn State laughs at stanford.
Espn Stanford GIF by College GameDay

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
TA&M has 22 players in the portal.
Yeah, what we need is that D-Line coach to enter the coaching portal and come to PSU under Manny for a year so he can enter the pantheon of Blue and White legends where he belongs. Right now, we also need JCF to leverage Micah P to cherry pick those ex-Aggies. Strike while the iron is hot.

• Haha

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
Kaden Prather is finally officially in the portal. WR played last year at West Virginia

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Who wants to make a bet with me? Right now other than fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth year graduating players, there’s the one time exemption where players can enter the portal and be immediately eligible. I’ll bet you that next year some kid sues saying that the one time exception is unfair, discriminatory, unduly restrictive, Un American or all of the above. And the NCAA folds causing two or three times as many portal entrants.

Reactions: Classof09

Latest posts