2022-23 PSU Men's Ice Hockey Thread

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
Failed to win when they needed to.

Depending on Michigan/ND out come, either headed to Michigan or OhioState. Need Michigan to win tonight in regulation so team goes to OSU, where at least they have a chance. This team cannot win in Yost.

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
STGopherfan,

You are the best guest poster on this Board. Or any board. You have a terrific way of supporting your team 110% without ever deteriorating into negativity about the team you are “visiting.”

A true class act!

+1. Very true. He’s a great visiting poster and it’s nice to see some hockey talk here with an ‘outsiders’ point of view.

Dec 15, 2021
Failed to win when they needed to.

Depending on Michigan/ND out come, either headed to Michigan or OhioState. Need Michigan to win tonight in regulation so team goes to OSU, where at least they have a chance. This team cannot win in Yost.
This is incorrect. Michigan is locked into the 2 seed and will host (7 seed) Wisconsin next week no matter what happens tonight. I suppose you consider this good news, given your post above. :)

You go to Michigan st if UM wins tonight.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
This is incorrect. Michigan is locked into the 2 seed and will host (7 seed) Wisconsin next week no matter what happens tonight. I suppose you consider this good news, given your post above. :)

You go to Michigan st if UM wins tonight.
Thanks for correcting.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
STGopherfan,

You are the best guest poster on this Board. Or any board. You have a terrific way of supporting your team 110% without ever deteriorating into negativity about the team you are “visiting.”

A true class act!
Thanks to all! Since day one I've felt that PSU was/ is an excellent edition! I love your wide open style. Much respect for your program!

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
@ Ohio State it is
Doable. Stay out of the penalty box and be smart, but aggressive, and protect Souliere. Souliere is a very good goalie. Like any other goalie, you just can't let the opposition get too many breakaway chances.

Question for the board. Do you think that in some cases that your offense would have been better served making one or two more passes rather than taking that first shot? Just curious. Something I thought about since our last series. This is coming from a no shot is a bad shot fan.

BriarwoodBash

Oct 12, 2021
Doable. Stay out of the penalty box and be smart, but aggressive, and protect Souliere. Souliere is a very good goalie. Like any other goalie, you just can't let the opposition get too many breakaway chances.

Question for the board. Do you think that in some cases that your offense would have been better served making one or two more passes rather than taking that first shot? Just curious. Something I thought about since our last series. This is coming from a no shot is a bad shot fan.
Yes I do, STP. Gadowsky’s offense has typically been run and gun with a little fine tuning in the past couple of years where shots are down but quality shots are up. This was evident to me in Mn series. I was at both games and your Gophers OWNED the high slot. They would move the puck till they hit the slot man and that results in quality shots every goalie fears: squared up from dead on. We shoot a lot but Mn got so many more quality shots. Very few of our shots came from the slot. We cycle down low. contrast was striking.

Reactions: STPGopherfan

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
Yes I do, STP. Gadowsky’s offense has typically been run and gun with a little fine tuning in the past couple of years where shots are down but quality shots are up. This was evident to me in Mn series. I was at both games and your Gophers OWNED the high slot. They would move the puck till they hit the slot man and that results in quality shots every goalie fears: squared up from dead on. We shoot a lot but Mn got so many more quality shots. Very few of our shots came from the slot. We cycle down low. contrast was striking.
Thanks for the reply. Run and gun is what makes your team so fun though, and often lethal.

What you said was some of what I was thinking. Your comments were more in depth. The other thing If I were to add is that it makes the goalie move from left to right. Our league has many solid goalies. Michigan's (Portillo-sp?) at 6'6" fills/ covers the whole opening of the goal.

Regarding our last series (and going in a slightly different direction), two goals stood out. One was the last on Friday and the winner on Saturday. What stood out is that the defense let a streaking forward/ center get behind them and nobody put a body on the guy with the puck. The player was able to pass from the neutral zone and hit the streaking player right on the stick leaving Souliere one on one. The only option would have been for the defense once beat would have been to risk a penalty. Take those two away, and I'd say the defense played pretty well, Excellent on Saturday.

This should be a great tournament. IMHO Ability wise, Michigan, Minnesota, and Penn State could win it. OSU, and Notre Dame are right in there as well. They do a good job of impossing there will on other teams in addition to making opponents pay for mistakes. MSU is solid, but they aren't built to come from behind. Heck even Wisconsin has risen from the ashes.

Hopefully both programs can hold on to pairwise rankings and get decent seedings for the NCAA's.

BVSt.Paul

Oct 12, 2021
He is a terrific person. MaconNitt and I were hosted by him at their tailgate at the Minnesota game in 2019 and we returned the favor this past year as he and his wife and nephew ventured east. Wonderful people and good friends.
I second that! We’re going to hit a patio if/when spring arrives.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
Thanks for the reply. Run and gun is what makes your team so fun though, and often lethal.

What you said was some of what I was thinking. Your comments were more in depth. The other thing If I were to add is that it makes the goalie move from left to right. Our league has many solid goalies. Michigan's (Portillo-sp?) at 6'6" fills/ covers the whole opening of the goal.

Regarding our last series (and going in a slightly different direction), two goals stood out. One was the last on Friday and the winner on Saturday. What stood out is that the defense let a streaking forward/ center get behind them and nobody put a body on the guy with the puck. The player was able to pass from the neutral zone and hit the streaking player right on the stick leaving Souliere one on one. The only option would have been for the defense once beat would have been to risk a penalty. Take those two away, and I'd say the defense played pretty well, Excellent on Saturday.

This should be a great tournament. IMHO Ability wise, Michigan, Minnesota, and Penn State could win it. OSU, and Notre Dame are right in there as well. They do a good job of impossing there will on other teams in addition to making opponents pay for mistakes. MSU is solid, but they aren't built to come from behind. Heck even Wisconsin has risen from the ashes.

Hopefully both programs can hold on to pairwise rankings and get decent seedings for the NCAA's.
Minnesota is a 1 no matter what. Only scenario they fall to a two, and super slim even in this scenario, Wisky advances and takes out Minn. But even then, just one L.

Penn State needs to take out OSU to still have a chance at a 2 seed. Even if we win B1G, team f d away any chance of a 1. Lose to OSU, likely a 3.

BriarwoodBash

Oct 12, 2021

You’re right on about the game winners. Although I must say on the Saturday night winner, that was an incredible play by Dooley. As a hockey fan, I just said Wow To the guy next to me… Gotta tip your cap.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
You’re right on about the game winners. Although I must say on the Saturday night winner, that was an incredible play by Dooley. As a hockey fan, I just said Wow To the guy next to me… Gotta tip your cap.
Yes Cooley is a very special player. Cooley Knies, and Snuggerud have a special bond on the ice. What I really admire about Cooley is he is often looking to set up teammates. I think he might be the best since Vanek and Kessel.

Reactions: BriarwoodBash

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
He is a terrific person. MaconNitt and I were hosted by him at their tailgate at the Minnesota game in 2019 and we returned the favor this past year as he and his wife and nephew ventured east. Wonderful people and good friends.
Do you accept crypto? ;) Right back at you! Thanks for making the visit to Happy Valley a special time in a special place!

Reactions: rudedude