2022 B1G Tournament, Session 4 Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use this thread for all pre-Session 4, in-Session 4, and post-Session 4 discussions.

When: March 6, 4:30 pm EST.

Where: Pinnacle Bank Arena; Lincoln, NE

TV: BTN (they'll show the 1st place matches)

Streaming: for subscribers, BTN+ (they'll show the 3rd place and the 5th place matches; not sure if they show the 1st place matches)

Radio: The radio PBP with Jeff Byers will be streamed for free via LionVision. The pre-Session will start at 4:10 pm EST, with the competition at 4:30 pm . You can access the radio PBP at:

Live Brackets: You can follow the brackets on TrackWrestling at:

https://www.trackwrestling.com/pred...ents/TournamentHub.jsp&twSessionId=lkcwystilx

Note: The Penn State Wrestling Club also has live brackets at: https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org

Team Scoring: The Penn State Wrestling Club is usually the fastest with that info. Their team scoring information can be found at: https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/tournament_team_score.php?id=26&type=team

PBP: I'll provide PBP on all of the matches involving PSU wrestlers. Usually the last session is a combo of discussion about the PSU wrestlers (7 are in action in Session 4), as well as discussion about other 1st place matches, as well as the overall tourney.

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Crucial bouts only.
Surianos gonna win.
RBY over Desanto.
Nick Lee over Eierman.
Murin vs Lovett, hope they lose to each other.
149 I got hot hand Gomez over Sasso.
Deakin over Lewan.
Berge over young.
Marinelli over Amine.
Starocci over Massa.
Labriola over Kemmerer.
Brooks over Amine.
Dean over Schultz.
Warner over Brucki.
GOAT (ha) over Cassiopi.
Homer pick Kerkvliet over Parris. What’s that end up with..?

I see Eierman is forfeiting..? Does a MFF count as Additional points for winner?
* I now see a MMF allots 2+ additional points to winner.

Last edited:

Daveb9127

Nov 29, 2021
Crucial bouts only.
Surianos gonna win.
RBY over Desanto.
Nick Lee over Eierman.
Murin vs Lovett, hope they lose to each other.
149 I got hot hand Gomez over Sasso.
Deakin over Lewan.
Berge over young.
Marinelli over Amine.
Starocci over Massa.
Labriola over Kemmerer.
Brooks over Amine.
Dean over Schultz.
Warner over Brucki.
GOAT (ha) over Cassiopi.
Homer pick Kerkvliet over Parris. What’s that end up with..?

I see Eierman is forfeiting..? Does a MFF count as Additional points for winner?
I think someone said it is +2.

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
I doubt Kemmerer wrestles. He MFF’d to CStarr yesterday and again today in the consolation semis.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Byers is live. It’s about time, everyone! Enjoy.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU bouts in Session 4:

133 Championship:
#1 seed RBY vs. #2 seed Austin DeSanto (Iowa)

141 Championship:
#1 seed Nick Lee vs. #2 seed Jaydin Eierman (Iowa)

157 3rd Place Match:
#10 seed Brady Berge vs. #2 seed Kaleb Young (Iowa)

174 Championship:
#1 seed Carter Starocci vs. #2 seed Logan Massa (Michigan)

184 Championship:
#1 seed Aaron Brooks vs. #2 seed Myles Amine (Michigan)

197 Championship:
#2 seed Max Dean vs. #1 seed Eric Schultz (Nebraska)

285 3rd Place Match:
#3 seed Greg Kerkvliet vs. #4 seed Mason Parris (Michigan)

Daveb9127

Nov 29, 2021
PSU bouts in Session 4:

133 Championship:

141 Championship:

157 3rd Place Match:
#10 seed Brady Berge vs. #2 seed Kaleb Young (Iowa)

174 Championship:
#1 seed Carter Starocci vs. #2 seed Logan Massa (Michigan)

184 Championship:
#1 seed Aaron Brooks vs. #2 seed Myles Amine (Michigan)

197 Championship:
#2 seed Max Dean vs. #1 seed Eric Schultz (Nebraska)

285 3rd Place Match:
#3 seed Greg Kerkvliet vs. #4 seed Mason Parris (Michigan)
Wouldn't it be something if the Kerk vs Parris match decides the title???? Wow.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Nick certainly very aggressive, when he started with us, he was all defense. He has continued to improve his game. Good for him.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
133 Championship:

It will be interesting to see what happens in this match. DeSanto got to RBY's legs several times in the PSU - Iowa dual, but RBY had great D and won the match, 3-2. I believe RBY is 4-2, career, over DeSanto, but it's been several close matches.

Per 1
DeSanto in on a single early, they scramble, and stopped for PD. DeSanto with a single to a double, RBY sprawls, nothing. No score thru 1:30. DeSanto in on a single to a double, DeSanto grabs over the back for the ankles, and a stalemate with 50 sec left. End

Per 2
DeSanto takes bottom. RBY tries to get a cradle, they scramble, then OOB with 1:45 left. DeSanto to his feet and back down. Then back up and out, 0-1. DeSanto in on a head inside single but a stalemate at 1:17 left. Stall warning on RBY then DeSanto icon a single, watch the knee, RBY has a whizzer. End RT @ 32 sec for RBY

Per 3
RBY takes bottom. He works up, is lifted, still on his feet, and he's out, 1-1. RBY shoots, nothing. DeSanto in on a low single, RBY with a body lock, and danger calls on DeSanto and then RBY with the TD, 3-1. Stoppage as Iowa throws a brick with 20 sec left. Call looks good on replay. Callis confirmed. DeSanto to his feet, returned, and OOB with 7 sec left. End

RBY is your 133 B1G Champion with a 3-1 DEC

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
RBY seems to be much more will to tie up vs working from space. Anyone who knows wrestling know why, or am I nuts

Reactions: hohmadw1978

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
141 Championship:

Rematch of the 2021 NCAA Final

And as speculated earlier, Eierman takes a medical forfeit. And the Iowa fans boo when Lee's hand is raised. smh

Nick Lee is your 141 B1G Champion with the MFF by Eierman

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
141 Championship:

And as speculated earlier, Eierman takes a medical forfeit. And the Iowa fans boo when Lee's hand is raised. smh

Guess I understand why BTN strung it out the way they did, but man, it was no secret.

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
141 Championship:

And as speculated earlier, Eierman takes a MFF. And the Iowa fans boo when Lee's hand is raised. smh

Michigan 138 points, PSU 131.5 points after Lee’s win.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
RBY seems to be much more will to tie up vs working from space. Anyone who knows wrestling know why, or am I nuts

I'm tempted to tell you that you're nuts, but I've noticed that as well. I think it stems in part from opponents noticing that part of DeSanto's success (previously) against RBY was from controlling his left arm. That's why RBY held it behind his back when they met last year in the B1G tourney. RBY doesn't seem to be purposely keeping the left hand behind him too often this year, so I think the opponents are doing what they can to work on that.

The other factor (I think) is that RBY gets the majority of his TDs as counters. He wants his opponents to shoot, as he's confident that he can block them and then spin behind them. My thinking is that he's allowing tie-ups so that his opponents shoot so that he can counter.

What I can't quite figure out is why RBY is having so much trouble preventing DeSanto from getting to his legs. His defense has been excellent in not allowing DeSanto to get TDs from those shots, but it's taking a lot of effort on his part.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
133 Championship:

It will be interesting to see what happens in this match. DeSanto got to RBY's legs several times in the PSU - Iowa dual, but RBY had great D and won the match, 3-2. I believe RBY is 4-2, career, over DeSanto, but it's been several close matches.

Per 1
DeSanto in on a single early, they scramble, and stopped for PD. DeSanto with a single to a double, RBY sprawls, nothing. No score thru 1:30. DeSanto in on a single to a double, DeSanto grabs over the back for the ankles, and a stalemate with 50 sec left. End

Per 2
DeSanto takes bottom. RBY tries to get a cradle, they scramble, then OOB with 1:45 left. DeSanto to his feet and back down. Then back up and out, 0-1. DeSanto in on a head inside single but a stalemate at 1:17 left. Stall warning on RBY then DeSanto icon a single, watch the knee, RBY has a whizzer. End RT @ 32 sec for RBY

Per 3
RBY takes bottom. He works up, is lifted, still on his feet, and he's out, 1-1. RBY shoots, nothing. DeSanto in on a low single, RBY with a body lock, and danger calls on DeSanto and then RBY with the TD, 3-1. Stoppage as Iowa throws a brick with 20 sec left. Call looks good on replay. Callis confirmed. DeSanto to his feet, returned, and OOB with 7 sec left. End

RBY is your 133 B1G Champion with a 3-1 DEC
RBY let’s him get in on his legs way too much. Gonna hunt him sometime. Plus he makes my heart beat too fast. Hope RBY is more offensive next time.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I'm tempted to tell you that you're nuts, but I've noticed that as well. I think it stems in part from opponents noticing that part of DeSanto's success (previously) against RBY was from controlling his left arm. That's why RBY held it behind his back when they met last year in the B1G tourney. RBY doesn't seem to be purposely keeping the left hand behind him too often this year, so I think the opponents are doing what they can to work on that.

The other factor (I think) is that RBY gets the majority of his TDs as counters. He wants his opponents to shoot, as he's confident that he can block them and then spin behind them. My thinking is that he's allowing tie-ups so that his opponents shoot so that he can counter.

What I can't quite figure out is why RBY is having so much trouble preventing DeSanto from getting to his legs. His defense has been excellent in not allowing DeSanto to get TDs from those shots, but it's taking a lot of effort on his part.
I get DeSanto, but RBY is doing this with everyone. He is so quick, he has been able to get to everyone’s legs with speed.

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
RBY let’s him get in on his legs way too much. Gonna hunt him sometime. Plus he makes my heart beat too fast. Hope RBY is more offensive next time.
DeSanto hasn’t shown that he can convert on any of those shots, RBY’s defense is too good and his hips are really heavy. However, I’m worried that as much as DeSanto shoots on him and gets to his legs, he’ll run into a ref that starts banging him for stalling quicker than they have in the past.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So Iowa is pretty much out of this, right?

probably, though not mathematically. They placed 4 in the finals, and did not get any points from DeSanto or from Eierman. So they only have 2 left in the finals, and they are unlikely to get anything from Cassioppi at 285. They placed 3 in the 3rd place match, and 1 in the 5th place match.

The max they can score is 146.5, whereas the max PSU can score is 155.5 and the max Michigan can score is 168.

Reactions: Garw and NittanyCy

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
157 3rd Place Match:
#10 seed Brady Berge vs. #2 seed Kaleb Young (Iowa) (I'll use KY, or Kaleb, or Young)

Can Berge defeat Young twice in the same tournament?

Per 1
Berge finally shoots about halfway thru, KY sprawls, nothing. collar ties, collar ties, collar ties. End

Per 2
Berge takes bottom. He's up and out in 6 sec, 1-0. Young sort of shoots, nothing. More collar ties. Berge in on a double to a single, they scramble as Young locks on to an ankle, stalemate with 5 sec left. End. RT @ 6 sec for Young

Per 3
Young takes bottom. Young out quickly (like 3 sec), 1-1. KY shoots, Berge sprawls, nothing. KY shoots again, and Berge sprawls. Berge tried to work under the arms but nothing there. 1 min left. Berge nearly gets an ankle pick, but KY kicks away. End

SV
KY sort of shoots but doesn't. Berge in on a single and gets the TD!!!

A 3-1 DEC, and Brady Berge is your 2022 B1G 157 3rd Place Finisher

Latest posts